Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gear selection on cluster HELP :(

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
@vx_commodore

thank you so much mate, you're a life saver, without ya i wouldnt know where to start. a local place near where i live (melbourne) called jolly's u pull it. i payed them a visit today, ripped one out of a vx berlina and one out of a commo. They didnt have them priced on their system. got them for $4 bux each second hand. at that price i guess i can afford to have them failing every now and then (not that id want them to). i was over the moon. The guy told me they call them selector switches or something. (i hope theyre working haha) also now that you've mentioned it, my reverse lights dont always come on!!! however they still work. ive been testing them for the last 24 hours. ive used reverse about 10 times, reverse lights came on 7 out of 10. i would quickly run outside and take a peek at them :(

Very good Price! I would love to have a wrecker's like that around here!, But all i got is overpriced place's that dont let you go anywhere near the car's.

It may be easier for you're cousin to go get the wiring harness + 4pin plug and cut all the other wiring off it, Thats what i did, I got a complete engine wiring harness out of a VY, all i needed was the 4pin plug on the trans side and the plug on the ecu side, then i just unplugged the wires out of the VY ecu plug and plugged them in to there spots on the VX ecu, Was very easy because i had the VY ecu plug, all the wires were the same colour and in the same place, So when i unplugged them out of the VY plug i knew where they had to go in my VX plug.
Sounds hard but was very easy, Everything worked out excelent and was much easier that other method's. And neater and more solid

All i needed was the instrement cluster out of a calais and a wiring harness that had the prnd321 wiring.

I got the wiring harness off ebay for $3.00, But being that you have fair priced wreckers in your area you could probably get a wire harness very cheap too and do the same thing...just an idea, Worked well for me and i wouldent have done it any other way

But yeh $4.00 thats excelent!, If you replace the switch and it's still not working it may be that the second switch is faulty too, Try a 3rd and see how you go...3rd time lucky ha.

Im sure you will have fully functioning prnd321 light's in no time!

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman, 2013 VE II SV6 Thunder Ute.
Very good Price! I would love to have a wrecker's like that around here!, But all i got is overpriced place's that dont let you go anywhere near the car's.

It may be easier for you're cousin to go get the wiring harness + 4pin plug and cut all the other wiring off it, Thats what i did, I got a complete engine wiring harness out of a VY, all i needed was the 4pin plug on the trans side and the plug on the ecu side, then i just unplugged the wires out of the VY ecu plug and plugged them in to there spots on the VX ecu, Was very easy because i had the VY ecu plug, all the wires were the same colour and in the same place, So when i unplugged them out of the VY plug i knew where they had to go in my VX plug.
Sounds hard but was very easy, Everything worked out excelent and was much easier that other method's. And neater and more solid

All i needed was the instrement cluster out of a calais and a wiring harness that had the prnd321 wiring.

I got the wiring harness off ebay for $3.00, But being that you have fair priced wreckers in your area you could probably get a wire harness very cheap too and do the same thing...just an idea, Worked well for me and i wouldent have done it any other way

But yeh $4.00 thats excelent!, If you replace the switch and it's still not working it may be that the second switch is faulty too, Try a 3rd and see how you go...3rd time lucky ha.

Im sure you will have fully functioning prnd321 light's in no time!

cheers for that mate :)

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
got some bad news :( i installed the two switches i got, neither of them worked. i decided that i was gonna pull it off dads statesman and give it a shot. i jacked up the statesman, took the switch off, jacked my car up and put the switch it and viola! it worked again. You were right vx_commodore the two i got were faulty. i went back to jollys this morning to grab another one, all the other cars had their trannys removed except for those two that i got the switches from. Had a chat to the guy and he told me that "we remove all the good transmissions from the cars test them and sell them to make more money off them with a warranty". i face palmed myself so hard lol. guess i gotta get a new switch or from a different wrecker :(

speaking of parts i usually jump on ebay to get all my parts, the last time i went to the wreckers was yonks ago when my alternator failed on my old ford. I cant find this switch anywhere, half of the wreckers dont even know what it is :s

p.s Holden isnt an option (hehehehehe)

Last edited:

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
hehe '3rd time lucky'

Yeh i had a bit of trouble explaining to the wrecker's what it was too, Some knew some dident.

Well atleast now you know exactly what the issue is, Just a matter of finding a good working one, I had no luck finding one on ebay becuse i think most of them get sold along with the transmission.

I guess just ring all the wrecker's in you're area, You may pay a bit more for the switch but atleast then you will have a good working one, I payed $50 for mine, Seem's that is a fair price compared to what oter's want for one so just ring around and see what you can find.

Just tell the wrecker's you want the reverse light switch that is on the left hand side of the transmission, If they dont know what it is you may have to take you're old one down and 'show' them what it is (they really should already know) seem's it's such a common fault

I with you on the 'holden is not an option'

SookyTurner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
Hey guys.

This may be a little of topic, but you guys sound like you have a ton of knowlege on this..

Would you know whats involved with being able to show the p,r,n etc in the cluster on an exec series? Would you need and entire cluster or do you just add a bulb to te exsisting one? Is there much involved with that plug you guys are talking about?

Sorry if its a bit off topic but i disnt know if it would be worth starting a new thread

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers

M

mwb235

Hey guys.

This may be a little of topic, but you guys sound like you have a ton of knowlege on this..

Would you know whats involved with being able to show the p,r,n etc in the cluster on an exec series? Would you need and entire cluster or do you just add a bulb to te exsisting one? Is there much involved with that plug you guys are talking about?

Sorry if its a bit off topic but i disnt know if it would be worth starting a new thread

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers

You need a VTII/VX Berlina/Calais dash cluster with the PRND321 lights, and 4 wires fitted between a plug on the side of the tranny and the PCM (engine computer). Can be done to both the VT series 1 V6 Ecotec and V6 Supercharged engines, but not the 5.0L V8 (it has no 4 pin plug on it). AFAIK can also be done on any VTII and VX V6 and GenIII V8 "base" model (such as your Exec) as long as your tranny has the 4 pin plug socket (it will be covered by a blank plastic plate).

Take a look at this old thread it should help, in particular post #3 where i mention how i did this to my VT series 1.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...-2002/154729-vt-vx-engine-wiring-harness.html

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey guys i found this Transmission Parts Solenoids Switch, 4L60E / 4L80E MLP Sensor, PRNDL switch
dunno if its the right one though, it looks identical to that of the one in my car. People call it heaps of names like prdnl switch, park/neutral switch or even reverse switch and mlp switch.
it also says 4L60E which is my tranny :)

i also found this pdf document that states that this switch is the same for all 4L60e's from the beginning of 1995 to 2003. i took a snapshot

i feel like im starting to get somewhere :) all i have is this gm part number for the switch, we have the 7 pin and the 4 pin connectors right?

anyways heres the part number Gm Part # 24229422 cant find one in australia (or the holden part number so i can fish it out online)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
sorry for double post but more bad news! the switch that i took out of the statesman and put in mine is now starting to flicker, any possibility that it could be my plug, can i test the plugs functionality with a multimeter? if so how?
thanks, i just want to make sure that my plug is working 100% before i go out and grab another switch. Thanks

edit:: im just a little curious, i noticed that the plug in the statesman is really clean compared to mine. Look back at the photos in post #7 and you'll get what im on about lol. i got the multimeter onto the plug and i got 8A reading on all of the pins on my dads car. My car went in to the panel beaters late last night so i wont have it for a couple of days. i will test the plug for bad connection when i get it back. in the meanwhile i would love your input so i can collect as much ideas as possible. anyways heres a snapshot of the one in my dads statesman

Attachments

• IMG_20120516_104105.jpg
    IMG_20120516_104105.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Hey mate, There's really nothing else it could be other than switch, There is nothing really more to it.(mecanical)

It could be that the conection is bad, But you more than likley could tell that, Ie, connection loose when its plugged in, Or the plug its self is physically broken.

What you might have to do is bend the connection tabs a little so that it is a tighter fit and to be sure that all the metal tabs are connecting propley.

But now it's sounding a bit more like it could be the connection, Because after you fiddle with it it work's then stop's, Just plug you're dad's switch in, play with the gear's a bit untill it stop's working then jump back under and wiggle the connection a bit and see if it start's working again, Make sure to use a known working switch so you can rule out faulty switch during the test. So if it flicker's you know it is not a faulty siwtch but a faulty connection.

All there is to it is switch, wiring, ecu, wiring, insturment cluster, So you know the switch itself is working so move on to the connection its self, then from there move up the line.

But yeh it's more likley the connector that plug's into the switch, So you will just have to do a bit of work to make sure it is a tight good connection.

If it's not that then it could be the wiring its self, There could be a dodgey wire somewhere, But that's rare to just happen all on it's own.

If all above fail's you may need to get out the multimeter and check all the wiring, By using ohm's or the beep function.

My understanding was this switch was brought in on the VT, VR/VS i thought uses a switch under the console, learn something new every day