Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gear selection on cluster HELP :(

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman, 2013 VE II SV6 Thunder Ute.
Hey mate, There's really nothing else it could be other than switch, There is nothing really more to it.(mecanical)

It could be that the conection is bad, But you more than likley could tell that, Ie, connection loose when its plugged in, Or the plug its self is physically broken.

What you might have to do is bend the connection tabs a little so that it is a tighter fit and to be sure that all the metal tabs are connecting propley.

But now it's sounding a bit more like it could be the connection, Because after you fiddle with it it work's then stop's, Just plug you're dad's switch in, play with the gear's a bit untill it stop's working then jump back under and wiggle the connection a bit and see if it start's working again, Make sure to use a known working switch so you can rule out faulty switch during the test. So if it flicker's you know it is not a faulty siwtch but a faulty connection.

All there is to it is switch, wiring, ecu, wiring, insturment cluster, So you know the switch itself is working so move on to the connection its self, then from there move up the line.

But yeh it's more likley the connector that plug's into the switch, So you will just have to do a bit of work to make sure it is a tight good connection.

If it's not that then it could be the wiring its self, There could be a dodgey wire somewhere, But that's rare to just happen all on it's own.

If all above fail's you may need to get out the multimeter and check all the wiring, By using ohm's or the beep function.

My understanding was this switch was brought in on the VT, VR/VS i thought uses a switch under the console, learn something new every day

On the back of the plug theres little black tabs. when you undo those tabs, the pins come out ( i didnt know that, happened by mistake lol) gave em a nice clean and shine and used the diagram that mwb235 posted earlier to put it back together. in the meanwhile i will buy a brand new switch keep it on the side untill my car comes back from the panel beaters then ill measure it up with the multimeter (negative to chassis and positive on the pins one at a time?) then that way I can determine whether or not to keep the switch and return it. had a lil talk with my mechanic an hour ago and he tested the old switch for me. you were right, its toast! haha. he saw the plug and said they usually never go wrong, its always the switch. I guess friday is when i will know when i test and plug everything in. vx_commodore you have been very very helpful. i appreciate your help :) ill let ya'll know how it goes

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well aren't I lucky. One of my mates showed on my door step 20 mi. Ago and handed me a switch that he claims to be working. The best part was that when I asked him what do I owe ya he said nothing. He said his dad has some laying around(he is.a mechanic) :) no I just have to hope the plug is ok

still havnt got the car back from the panel beaters, i should have it tomorrow (monday) then ill go ahead and fit the switch and if it doesnt work, ill rip the switch out of the statesman (which i know is working) and ill cut the plug in my car and re wire a new one onto it. I hope it doesnt have to result to this.

Last edited:

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have fitted the switch (inhibitor switch is the correct name) everything works ok reverse lights are working. Dash lights are a bit weird though. "n" and "d" and "1" always light up when they are selected, the rest dont (p,r,3,2). sometimes they do (like yesterday and the say before, they were on all day). can anybody explain how to properly adjust the switch? i spent 2 hours under the other day after i fitted it until i was able to get it to start in park. oh thats another thing, It doesnt start in neutral all the time 1 out of 50 it will. im sure its an adjustment.

when i first fitted the switch, reverse was neutral all the gears were one down than their position. Please help it feels like the job is only half complete. The way i adjusted it to the best i could was i put it in my garage, i made it dark. Then i put the selector in reverse, got underneath the car and moved the switch around until the reverse lights came on then lined it up with the holes. Help would be extremely appreciated :)

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Bulbs been checked for the ones not lighting up?

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah they are working fine they arent blown. i did this via mode +up ignition on then cycled through mode until the part where every light comes on. they arent blown.

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
I have fitted the switch (inhibitor switch is the correct name) everything works ok reverse lights are working. Dash lights are a bit weird though. "n" and "d" and "1" always light up when they are selected, the rest dont (p,r,3,2). sometimes they do (like yesterday and the say before, they were on all day). can anybody explain how to properly adjust the switch? i spent 2 hours under the other day after i fitted it until i was able to get it to start in park. oh thats another thing, It doesnt start in neutral all the time 1 out of 50 it will. im sure its an adjustment.

when i first fitted the switch, reverse was neutral all the gears were one down than their position. Please help it feels like the job is only half complete. The way i adjusted it to the best i could was i put it in my garage, i made it dark. Then i put the selector in reverse, got underneath the car and moved the switch around until the reverse lights came on then lined it up with the holes. Help would be extremely appreciated :)

Hmmm, Thats very odd, When i did mine it was a wile ago but i dont remember having to ajust it?, It's usualy just the 3 bolt's and thats that.

From memory, I just manually put the switch in the park position, then put my car in park, then the switch just slid on and was all in the correct position, put the 3 bolts in and it was all good.

It wouldent be bad bulbs because the prnd321 bulb's in the cluster are SMD's and have like a 100000h life so they would far outlast the life of the car.

I went and got my repair manual to see what they say, And this is what is sais to do:

From inside the vehicle, Select REVERSE with the gearshift lever.
Turn the Ignition to ON, Have an assistant observe the back-up light's from the rear the rear of the vehicle.
Rotate the switch untill the best position is obtained for operation of the back-up light's.
Operate the gearshift lever from inside the vehicle while you're assistant verifies that the back-up light's only operate when the vehicle is in reverse.
Verify that the vehicle will only start when the gearshift lever is in PARK or NEUTRAL.
(not all that helpfull)

I would have gone out and had a look at my car to refresh my memory but it's too low to get the jack under but i might see if i can somehow get under there and see what i can come up with...

This is a very odd problem you are having, I would have thought a new switch would have fixed the issue for sure, one way or the other im sure it will be working soon!

Ill go have a look under my car this arvo sometime

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmmm, Thats very odd, When i did mine it was a wile ago but i dont remember having to ajust it?, It's usualy just the 3 bolt's and thats that.

From memory, I just manually put the switch in the park position, then put my car in park, then the switch just slid on and was all in the correct position, put the 3 bolts in and it was all good.

It wouldent be bad bulbs because the prnd321 bulb's in the cluster are SMD's and have like a 100000h life so they would far outlast the life of the car.

I went and got my repair manual to see what they say, And this is what is sais to do:

From inside the vehicle, Select REVERSE with the gearshift lever.
Turn the Ignition to ON, Have an assistant observe the back-up light's from the rear the rear of the vehicle.
Rotate the switch untill the best position is obtained for operation of the back-up light's.
Operate the gearshift lever from inside the vehicle while you're assistant verifies that the back-up light's only operate when the vehicle is in reverse.
Verify that the vehicle will only start when the gearshift lever is in PARK or NEUTRAL.
(not all that helpfull)

I would have gone out and had a look at my car to refresh my memory but it's too low to get the jack under but i might see if i can somehow get under there and see what i can come up with...

This is a very odd problem you are having, I would have thought a new switch would have fixed the issue for sure, one way or the other im sure it will be working soon!

Ill go have a look under my car this arvo sometime

Thank you so much mate. I did it exactly as you said above with the whole reverse thingy. Its only me working on it. I had to rely on the reverse lights coming on. I'm just thinking, on that bolt on the right hand side. If you undo that bolt there's movement where yOu can move it up and down. I think it might be just nipping the edge of reverse. Hence it might be working correctly and doesn't start in neutral (sometimes it does). You don't have to go under. But if you could get theposition photo of the switch in park (there's two little tiny tabs) that would be highly appreciated mate :)