Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gen-f wheels on ss / calais

White Swan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS
Yes all VEs and VFs are the same offset.

Are you serious? All 8" wide Holden wheels are 245/35 tyres and 48P offset. HSV specs are 20x8.5 36P fronts and 20x9.5 275/35 57P rear. HSV wheels poke an extra 18mm on the front and 10mm rear. While they may be conservative they are miles ahead of any Holden wheel for a better fit.

Yes aftermarket can look alot better but HSV wheels are still far better fitting then Holden wheels

Yes of course I’m serious otherwise I wouldn’t have made the comment.

As I was only talking about HSV rims as being too conservative compared to aftermarket rims and because you brought it up I’ll expand and add that the Holden non staggered rims are a waste of wheel well room and even more ridiculously conservative and I guess that’s why some owners prefer the staggered Redlines and HSV’s to them.

Some others would rather go aftermarket and get something that does an even better job at filling the void.

Personally for the price of HSV rims I’d prefer to go with a wider aftermarket setup.

20x8.5 with 255/35R20 on the front and 20x10 with 285/30R20 on the rear similar to what Panhead posted earlier.

The OP asked for advice and I offered my opinion and that is I’d steer clear of the HSV look as it’s too conservative for my taste.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Yes of course I’m serious otherwise I wouldn’t have made the comment.

As I was only talking about HSV rims as being too conservative compared to aftermarket rims and because you brought it up I’ll expand and add that the Holden non staggered rims are a waste of wheel well room and even more ridiculously conservative and I guess that’s why some owners prefer the staggered Redlines and HSV’s to them.

Some others would rather go aftermarket and get something that does an even better job at filling the void.

Personally for the price of HSV rims I’d prefer to go with a wider aftermarket setup.

20x8.5 with 255/35R20 on the front and 20x10 with 285/30R20 on the rear similar to what Panhead posted earlier.

The OP asked for advice and I offered my opinion and that is I’d steer clear of the HSV look as it’s too conservative for my taste.

So im glad we agree in regards to the OP question that the HSV are far better then Holdens. Now the conservative fitment is to abide by ADRs and Australian standards to design and manufacture are legal, register cars in Australia. So you can understand why they do that.

OP didn't ask about aftermarket wheel otherwise I'd be agreeing with you. For the money of new HSV wheels (wheel King offer HSV SV wheels from 5k) you get a very heavy wheel but a very good quality. For 5k you could get 3 piece Simmons FRs in 10s/11s with a much more aggressive fit. Now 25mm wider on the wheel track is also illegal so the HSV wheels are on the limit and the front work out to be 36mm and by rights illegal in SA on a Holden. See where it gets complicated? My personal wheels are 20x9.5 28P alround very close to flush and suit my taste but thats not what OP asked.

snistr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf Calais V
Guys I'm loving the healthy debates. The information provided by all is great.

To add to this, I have a VF calais v wagon which is the wife's car and the main reason I wanted a conservative wheel like the hsv. Not too out there. I am also thinking of the Simmons fr.

A set of VF hsv wheels are approx $3500 with decent tyres. Same roughly for the simmons

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Just a quick question on this does a different tyre profile front to back ie 30 to 35 set of any fault codes?

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Just a quick question on this does a different tyre profile front to back ie 30 to 35 set of any fault codes?

No it's factory 245mm wide with the 35% profile is close enough the the same as 275mm wide with a 30% profile. A tyres side wall is in percentage. So a simple example would be a 300/50 is a 150mm tall side wall. So a 400 tyre with 50% side wall would equal 200mm so the profile has to be lower for a wider tyre. 400/40 would be like 160mm side wall.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Guys I'm loving the healthy debates. The information provided by all is great.

To add to this, I have a VF calais v wagon which is the wife's car and the main reason I wanted a conservative wheel like the hsv. Not too out there. I am also thinking of the Simmons fr.

A set of VF hsv wheels are approx $3500 with decent tyres. Same roughly for the simmons
As owner of a set of FR's I stuck on the Volvo nearly 20 years ago ... I'm gonna suggest they're pretty old-fashioned for a VF. The look fine on a 70's Volvo, but can't see it on a VF.

White Swan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS
So im glad we agree in regards to the OP question that the HSV are far better then Holdens. Now the conservative fitment is to abide by ADRs and Australian standards to design and manufacture are legal, register cars in Australia. So you can understand why they do that.

OP didn't ask about aftermarket wheel otherwise I'd be agreeing with you. For the money of new HSV wheels (wheel King offer HSV SV wheels from 5k) you get a very heavy wheel but a very good quality. For 5k you could get 3 piece Simmons FRs in 10s/11s with a much more aggressive fit. Now 25mm wider on the wheel track is also illegal so the HSV wheels are on the limit and the front work out to be 36mm and by rights illegal in SA on a Holden. See where it gets complicated? My personal wheels are 20x9.5 28P alround very close to flush and suit my taste but thats not what OP asked.

Fair enough the OP may not have mentioned aftermarket but I would like to think if someone offered me an alternative I’d still be happy to hear it.

The OP is in the ACT not SA so I guess the first question should be are the guidelines uniform across Australia?

The guidelines for NSW state you can’t increase the track by more than 25mm and the wheel can't be wider than 26mm or increase or decrease the overall wheel diameter by more than 15mm outside of the largest optional wheel the manufacturer fits to the vehicle.

Wheels that exceed these diameter and width requirements will be permitted under a difference set of parameters if you notify the Roads and Maritime Services and provide a signed Engineer’s Certificate.

In the case of the VF Series, Holden offers an option of 20x8.5 front and 20x9 rear which means the OP can go an inch wider and still be within the requirements without the need of an Engineer’s approval.

It’s all food for thought for the OP.

Here are the NSW Guidelines:

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roads/safety-rules/standards/vsi-09-rev4.pdf

HSV085

Reaction score
Members Ride
16' VF2 Redline, 17' VF2 GTS
Hsv085 What's the size and offset of those wheels?

20x8.5 front 36 offset, 20x9.5 rear 57 offset. 255/35 front tires, 275/30 rear tires.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The guidelines for NSW state you can’t increase the track by more than 25mm and the wheel can't be wider than 26mm or increase or decrease the overall wheel diameter by more than 15mm outside of the largest optional wheel the manufacturer fits to the vehicle.
Not quite. The overall TYRE diameter cannot be more than 15mm outside of the original fitment to the car, the WHEEL can be anything.
ie. if it were physically possible to have a "negative height" sidewall, you could legally fit 37" rims to your new Mitsubishi Mirage. :)
More seriously, there's no problem in increasing your wheels by, say, 3"; as long as the tyres you use are the same overall diameter as the original ones.
Not being allowed to increase wheel diameter is an urban myth left over from either some really old set of rules (I only know about the rules since about 1989 when they introduced a properly-documented set of modification standards - the diameter change thing may be from before then) or interstate (I believe Victoria didn't let you change wheel diameter circa the early 90's - suspect they do now though).

Obviously if you go too large, you won't be able to get a tyre with a shallow enough sidewall to make it legal. But that's not a problem with 20" wheels fitted to a VF (I guess pretty obviously).

In the case of the VF Series, Holden offers an option of 20x8.5 front and 20x9 rear which means the OP can go an inch wider and still be within the requirements without the need of an Engineer’s approval.
For NSW RMS purposes at least, an HSV GTS is considered a "Commodore" for wheel-size purposes ... unsure whether the 20x8.5's and 20x9's you're referring-to are the largest HSV size as well as the optional HSVi's for Redlines.