Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gen-f wheels on ss / calais

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Not quite. The overall TYRE diameter cannot be more than 15mm outside of the original fitment to the car, the WHEEL can be anything.
ie. if it were physically possible to have a "negative height" sidewall, you could legally fit 37" rims to your new Mitsubishi Mirage. :)
More seriously, there's no problem in increasing your wheels by, say, 3"; as long as the tyres you use are the same overall diameter as the original ones.
Not being allowed to increase wheel diameter is an urban myth left over from either some really old set of rules (I only know about the rules since about 1989 when they introduced a properly-documented set of modification standards - the diameter change thing may be from before then) or interstate (I believe Victoria didn't let you change wheel diameter circa the early 90's - suspect they do now though).

Obviously if you go too large, you won't be able to get a tyre with a shallow enough sidewall to make it legal. But that's not a problem with 20" wheels fitted to a VF (I guess pretty obviously).

I read his post different to you.

When he referred to wheel diameter I read it as the overall wheel size which means the tyre not the rim, he just didn’t word it as well as the supporting document he posted.

Quoted from RTA Guidelines
The outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle and not more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle.

For NSW RMS purposes at least, an HSV GTS is considered a "Commodore" for wheel-size purposes ... unsure whether the 20x8.5's and 20x9's you're referring-to are the largest HSV size as well as the optional HSVi's for Redlines.

I’ve been down the road of having Engineering Certification for rims and tyres (not for a Commodore) and my understanding has always been the benchmark or starting point is the biggest option offered by the vehicle manufacturer.

For these model Commodores that would be the biggest that Holden offers which is the Redline HP-20 option of 20x8.5 and 20x9 which would mean you could go 20x9.5 and 20x10 and then another inch wider front and rear if you have an Engineer’s Certificate.

Given that HSV and Holden now offer the same top end size it doesn’t really matter but I do remember before Holden went staggered with the Redline that many owners would justify the wider rim widths on their Commodores by saying a HSV is a Commodore so therefore (fingers crossed) in theory they can use the HSV rims as the starting point.

Do people get pulled up for having too wide a rim/tyre combo on the VE/VF Commodores these days?

Rims and tyres are always just a good subject as we all have different tastes and there is such a wide range of styles and sizes available and it interesting to see and hear what others think and like.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Fair enough the OP may not have mentioned aftermarket but I would like to think if someone offered me an alternative I’d still be happy to hear it.

The OP is in the ACT not SA so I guess the first question should be are the guidelines uniform across Australia?

The guidelines for NSW state you can’t increase the track by more than 25mm and the wheel can't be wider than 26mm or increase or decrease the overall wheel diameter by more than 15mm outside of the largest optional wheel the manufacturer fits to the vehicle.

Wheels that exceed these diameter and width requirements will be permitted under a difference set of parameters if you notify the Roads and Maritime Services and provide a signed Engineer’s Certificate.

In the case of the VF Series, Holden offers an option of 20x8.5 front and 20x9 rear which means the OP can go an inch wider and still be within the requirements without the need of an Engineer’s approval.

It’s all food for thought for the OP.

Here are the NSW Guidelines:

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roads/safety-rules/standards/vsi-09-rev4.pdf

Get complicated hey. That's why when OP asked about HSV wheels I stayed with them. I'm happy to give advice on aggressive fitting wheels but only if people ask as they're generally pushing the limits of what's legal these days.

snistr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf Calais V
Get complicated hey. That's why when OP asked about HSV wheels I stayed with them. I'm happy to give advice on aggressive fitting wheels but only if people ask as they're generally pushing the limits of what's legal these days.

Yeah given its the family car, i wanted to stick to a fairly factory wheel like a HSV package. As stated, i still do like the Simons Fr but even if i did get this wheel, id keep a similar width / offset to the HSV wheels.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Given that HSV and Holden now offer the same top end size it doesn’t really matter but I do remember before Holden went staggered with the Redline that many owners would justify the wider rim widths on their Commodores by saying a HSV is a Commodore so therefore (fingers crossed) in theory they can use the HSV rims as the starting point.

It's true from a legal standpoint. Holden manufacture the vehicles and HSV modify them post-production (hence the VIN being 6G1 for both "manufacturers").

Yeah given its the family car, i wanted to stick to a fairly factory wheel like a HSV package. As stated, i still do like the Simons Fr but even if i did get this wheel, id keep a similar width / offset to the HSV wheels.

If you're looking at FR's, decide first whether or not you'll upgrade the brakes. The HSV AP's and redline rear Brembo's don't fit under the FR20-1 9.5" rear wheel.

gfl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Tourer
Read this https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads..._LS_Tyres_Suspension_Steering_Nov_2015_v4.pdf
All states have signed up to VSB14 (google VSB14). Covers all tyre/wheel requirements and puts to rest all the incorrect info out there e.g.
Wheel size is limited by tyre size, you can put upto 1.3 times the standard tyre on an approved rim so on a SSV WITH 245's as long as it fits under the guards and doesn't rub a 315 is legal on a rim suitable (guessing 11-12 inches).
Load rating is as per the placard or equivalent model so all the HSV owner don't need 102 rated tyres just what is on standard V8.
Tyre height is +15mm/-26mm.
Wheel offset affects the track of the vehicle, so a change of 25mm to offset is okay if no rubbing or under the guards.
Been through this with VICROADS when trying to get a RWC with 285's on 10" rims on the back of a FG, don't take the word of the bloke doing the RWC, he reads the junk on the State road authorities website and goes no further.
There are other sections dealing with all mods you can do, check it out if you plan to do anything and are concerned with legalities.

snistr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf Calais V
It's true from a legal standpoint. Holden manufacture the vehicles and HSV modify them post-production (hence the VIN being 6G1 for both "manufacturers").

If you're looking at FR's, decide first whether or not you'll upgrade the brakes. The HSV AP's and redline rear Brembo's don't fit under the FR20-1 9.5" rear wheel.

Fantastic. Thanks for the info.

gfl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Tourer
My bad: offset should not change by 12.5mm.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I know we're past this; but it's been cool since about forever to fit HSV-sized wheel+tyres to your Holden Commodore on the basis of them being the same thing.
I know they're kinda-sorta a different manufacturer, but even the RTA knew that they weren't really. :)

And post typing that, I've seen this:
... which makes me just repetitive. :)