Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Grinding when turning right and reversing since Pacemaker install

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
...before the cats but after the ressies??? why would there be resses before the cats...

anyway the code is saying the cats are inefficient.
At the moment that is because you are measuring before the cat twice rather than before and after.
if the cats are efficient then yes the codes will clear, if not you will likely see the codes come up occasionally

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
So anyone here had experience with those O2 spacers? I'm looking at the L shapes ones.
Seems a lot of BMW/VW forum users have had good success with them stopping dreaded P0420/0430 after deleting cats or installing hi flows

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
See I'm not going insane lol:

Green: O2 sensor 1
Blue: O2 sensor 2
Red: Cat
imageqpph.jpg

Unless that bulb is another cat? Lol

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
that thing near the green arrow is a cat.
Fairly sure VZ V6's run more than one cat (but not all have that same setup...)

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
So they have 4 cats...

Can someone confirm this? I thought that was just another resonator?

EDIT:
Just took a look - they're called Close Coupled Catalysts (CCC). Partially why the SV6/Calais/Stato are Euro III compliant

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
No, the rear one that looks like a cat is just a resonator. They should go, sensor - cat - sensor - resonator. The big one at the front is the cat. Put your rear sensors after the cats and you will no longer get your code.

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
No they're both cats lol.
The front is a CCC, the second is a TWC (threeway cat). Holden verified today when I called spare parts.
"Close-coupled catalytic converters, close to the engine for faster light-off, with underfloor catalyst and oxygen sensor."
The first sensor heats faster and takes about 80% of the emissions and the final one (floor TWC) takes the final 10-20%.
Hence why the floor cat is the same part number as on the 175kW Engines. The 190kW version is euro III compliant because they chucked in the CCCs near the manifold, which is what those bulbs are. They're all cats

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Only 06 vz sv6 had 4 cats, earlier had 2 only. This was to meet euro 3 emissions

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
"Early Alloytec 175kW engine has only two oxygen sensors, to comply with Euro II emission standards. The 190kW Allowtec has four (both pre & post catalytic converter), to comply with Euro III emission standards. Later model Alloytec 175kW engines also have four oxygen sensors, to comply with Euro III emission standards."
Jan 1 2006 Euro III was enforced, and therefore the standard Alloytecs lost 3kW (down to 172kW), the Alloytec 190 didn't as it already had 4 cats.

Trust me, my system had 4 cats, I'm looking at them right now, and mine is a 2005 model.