Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

H304/ 355 build spec thoughts

VT5LSS304

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt 5L SS
Hi guys,
Looking to build a 355. Been recommended the below build. Know it’s a bit basic on the details but you should get the idea. What’s everyone’s thoughts on this? What power do you think it would make?
My thoughts were that a larger solid cam would be the go, but wondering what sort of power this cam/ setup would be capable of?
chasing at least 350whp through a t350 and 9”, but the more the better!

355- scat

H-304 cam

CP forged pistons

10.7:1 compression

750 double pumper

Vn heads

Dual plane torque power high rise manifold

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
will depend on the heads... what sort of hp you will get in the end

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Years ago bought a vh with very common yet basic 355 stroker,f280,harrop single plane,750dp 10.7:1,4500 stally trimatic,4.56 geared 9 inch...made 320rwhp on dyno with tonne of issues.

That was with too small holley red & factory pickup tube to help fuel starvation,55 amp alternator,recurved hei,melted engine loom so never got 12v to ignition or f/pump & top that off was just cleaned up reco vn heads with factory valves...larger 2.02 valves & pocket porting plus fixing issues above would have gone over 350rwhp.

It punched surprisingly hard & tad on wild side for basic street engine especially after sorting out most of the issues.

f280,355 stroker,vn heads/single plane & basic oil mods were very common engine builds before ls craze took off

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hi guys,
Looking to build a 355. Been recommended the below build. Know it’s a bit basic on the details but you should get the idea. What’s everyone’s thoughts on this? What power do you think it would make?
My thoughts were that a larger solid cam would be the go, but wondering what sort of power this cam/ setup would be capable of?
chasing at least 350whp through a t350 and 9”, but the more the better!

355- scat

H-304 cam

CP forged pistons

10.7:1 compression

750 double pumper

Vn heads

Dual plane torque power high rise manifold
Why specifically 10.7? (and not 11, or 10.5) or is that what you should have with a specific piston you have in mind. 5cc dish?

Why dual plane and not single? Its not like you will be short of low end torque, and you are chasing a HP number.

Probably most importantly, what is the vehicle?
1st gen commo with t350 and 9" conversion?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I'm not too familiar with that cam but if you don't want a very big cam flat tappet is fine. Don't buy into all the BS were everyone froths at the jaw and tells you, "you need a roller cam" it's a fallacy. Yes a roller is needed if you're pushing to the limits as you can put more spring pressure on it.

If you want a mild cam which will suit fairly stock heads ( I recomend a bowl job minimum) that cam should work well and there is no need for a single plane unless you have a big cam and are chasing big peak numbers for drag racing. Again you'll hear everyone froth at the jaw and say that there's nothing elese but a single plane which is just not true.
The TP high rise dual plane flows more than your heads will need.

So that build looks fine for a streer car.

VT5LSS304

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt 5L SS
Why specifically 10.7? (and not 11, or 10.5) or is that what you should have with a specific piston you have in mind. 5cc dish?

Why dual plane and not single? Its not like you will be short of low end torque, and you are chasing a HP number.

Probably most importantly, what is the vehicle?
1st gen commo with t350 and 9" conversion?

10.7:1 is just what I was told it would be around with the cp forged pistons mate.
I do already have an edelbrock single plane at home which I may try and see the difference.
vh commodore, t350 3k stall, 9” with 4.11’s
Want something that’ll go pretty hard but still cruise nice. I think crow cams do a bigger hydraulic, I’ll have a look.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
10.7:1 is just what I was told it would be around with the cp forged pistons mate.
I do already have an edelbrock single plane at home which I may try and see the difference.
vh commodore, t350 3k stall, 9” with 4.11’s
Want something that’ll go pretty hard but still cruise nice. I think crow cams do a bigger hydraulic, I’ll have a look.

If you have a T350 with a 3k stallie you'll want a fairly aggressive cam and a single plane. You'll be at peak torque in no time.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Keep it simple just go solid cam & make sure it's got a reputable brand stally that is suited to engine & diff gears...don't half-arse it or you'll hate it.

If I was to do that 355 my way it would've updated f280 spec cam,maybe 11.1 cr,pocket ported heads/2.03 valves & single plane ported by tk,av8 oil mods,better ignition & fuel system....change to 4.11's but stay with 4500 stally.

Reckon that would have been enough to creep into the 10's on slicks in a heavy sle yet still cruise ok for a weekender although you'd think different if you hear it lol.