Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Handling and driveability

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Ok, so I thought I might start a thread on handling, road holding etc in the VE's and VF's. Generally they handle great for their size and bulk, but still improvements to be had.
I won't be changing spring, wheels, springs etc on my Redline, but I came across this strut brace on fleabay:

Strut Brace VF Commodore SS Sedan V8 HSV Holden Commodore | eBay looks ok, but does it provide any benefit or does it create issues?

At $90 it's not bad value if there is a benefit. I fitted a similar (factory) one to my VY SS and I reckon it stiffened up the front a bit. Placebo effect? maybe but I don't believe so.

If anyone has fitted one to their VE or VF (ideally a VF Redline), I'd be very interested in the results?

Cheers

benSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
'If' there is a benefit, yeah il happily pay $90 for one

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
A strut brace made a slight difference to my VT's handling, it tightened the turn in response. The VE - VF are meant to have a stiffer chassis, so not sure how much of a difference this would make. It wouldn't hurt it though.

A better option would be to upgrade the sway bars on the car, this makes a huge difference.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Not a poxy strut brace like that..........

Poor design, light gauge metal brackets, a couple of 'pivot' bolts(what were they thinking?)

And worst of all, drilling three holes in each strut tower, an area of high stress concentration..........

By design, all it does is make the engine cover difficult to remove.........

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
not one of the 3 mounting bolts in the photo is long enough to put thread into the nylon

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Spend $90 on petrol, and you will get more enjoyment. Are you a street racer, or a track racer? WOFTAM IMHO.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Upgrading all the bushes from rubber to polyurethane will make noticeable improvements from everything I have read. I also don't want to change the ride height of my cars but am seriously considering a change to the bushes.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You won't really see any benefit to handling with just a strut brace on stock suspension, unless you're taking the racing approach on absolutely every corner.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Not a poxy strut brace like that..........

Poor design, light gauge metal brackets, a couple of 'pivot' bolts(what were they thinking?)

And worst of all, drilling three holes in each strut tower, an area of high stress concentration..........

By design, all it does is make the engine cover difficult to remove.........

Yep the brackets etc looked on the flimsy side to me as well. I do like the aluimium look though. Hadn't thought about the holes in the strut tower being necessary, and definitely would not even consider that! The one on my VY fitted over the top of the standard studs. No drilling required. I bought it direct from Holden, cost bugger all too. From memory they were standard on t he S2 VY SS's?

TI3VOM
"A better option would be to upgrade the sway bars on the car, this makes a huge difference. "

The Redline has huge sway bars, but would agree with you for SS and SSV.

Handling is superb anyway so I'll just leave it alone.

Cheers

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
just a note my vy strut brace cost $53+gst direct from holden.
have you tried holdens to see what they charge? its surprising there prices vs what you see on ebay