Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Having a battle with Holden due lifters

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Cheers everyone, appreciate all the comments even the ones where it looks like they are having a go but aren’t haha.

Honestly having discussed things again this morning with Holden and them politely saying see you in court, I figured it’s probably not worth pursuing further to get them to do it. As has been pointed out the missed service and getting oil change done at 30k without proof leaves me pretty well stuffed and I accept that, always did but wanted to get ideas anyway.

I’ve had a couple quotes come back already for stock lifters and stock cam of $3300 or upgrade lifters, cam, air intake and tune for around $5500-$5800 so trying to work out the best value for money. Spoken to Hi-Torque performance in Brisbane and also Power Torque (Walkinshaw Rep) so far. Anybody have any feedback on these guys or any other options?

Ps I should add I’ll be getting the lifters assessed to check if oil was an issue, if not I’ll look at talking to Holden again.

Honestly with the lifter issue...You will turn blue in the face talking to them, on the hope of them coughing up costs incurred with them being replaced, after the assessment. They will use the service schedule as their out and succeed, whether we like it or not.

Your best bet is to learn your lesson (which you appear to have done) and move forward....You never know, you might enjoy doing a few little tweeks as a result of this issue.. :)

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah there would be heaps of ls cars with lifter failure,piston slap or worse regularly serviced still failed & fixed under warranty...they're not going to admit that it's a common issue.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Thread cleaned. Let's stay on topic boys and gals (and all the other things I'm not allowed to offend).

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I’m just curious what a dealer would write on the service receipt if a car comes in for service and the oil looks like it hasn’t been changed for a while and this looks old old old and beyond use by date...

I know if brake pads are low they’d write a comment on the receipt that brakes need attention as they would if some other issue needs attention.

So I’d think it is reasonable to expet some written comment about a mechanic finding poor oil condition due to lack of regular servicing on @Elwood service receipt @ 37,000 km mark... at I’d also expect in such instances the dealer should have discussed the issue with the owner...

Here’s the kicker, if it is reasonable to expect such a comment on the 37,000 kms receipt, wouldn’t the lack of written comment (or even a verbal discussion) on such an important issue like missed service and poor oil condition be rather important if the matter went to tribunal...

I’d think no comments being written on the service receipt (or no verbal discussion) could be indicative of Holden simple using a convenience @ the 47,000 kms mark to claim lack of oil change as being the cause of the issue. In such a case Holdens approach could be viewed as purely self servicing when combined with other issues of @Elwood stating he actually performed an oil change at 30,00kms.

Still think a small claims at minimal cost is a potential option... but it‘s always prudent to discuss with office of fair trading for some proper advice. Something to consider Elwood...

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Technically yes, reality no. Oil and filter was changed at 30k by a private mechanic because I couldn’t lose the car for a day. Holden got it at about 37k to do the 30k service.
I’ve saved all the records over the years but didn’t save the straight up oil change service receipt and can’t supply it now either.

Why can't u get proof from the private mechanic who supposedly did your 30k service? He or she should be able to reprint it or sign a Stat Dec that they performed the 30k service per timeframe/kms. Reason I ask is I work for an OE and seen similar cases. One case, the private mechanic owned up to not doing the service at all, another case the private mechanics record showed the date/ kms where way past the time frame and the car had low oil when it came in. Both cases lost by the owner and had to pay costs.

In both cases, the engines were stripped down by an independent party to provide reason for failure. As the owners lost they had to pay for that too.

Make sure u have your ducks in a row and are being honest/truthful before heading down the legal route. In all the ACL dealings I've seen, dishonesty by the owner and or the dealer always comes out.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... Make sure u have your ducks in a row and are being honest/truthful before heading down the legal route. In all the ACL dealings I've seen, dishonesty by the owner and or the dealer always comes out.
Yes, 100% agree.

Being caught in a lie is never good. Won’t end well for the teller of those porkie pies. It will mean the judge can’t consider one a credible whiteness. So suddenly it becomes easy for the judge to decide whether you are being truthful or not about things they’ve stated. Then his decisions won’t be in your favour. Indisputable facts on paper can’t be dismissed so easily but once you’ve burnt your bridge, going back is almost impossible.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I lunched a LS3 5 or so years ago in my Senator when a lifter seized. Wiped the lobe off the cam which proceeded to spread itself **everywhere** throughout the motor. Was a real mess and a half. Has cured me of LS3's for a long time.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I’m just curious what a dealer would write on the service receipt if a car comes in for service and the oil looks like it hasn’t been changed for a while and this looks old old old and beyond use by date...

I know if brake pads are low they’d write a comment on the receipt that brakes need attention as they would if some other issue needs attention.

So I’d think it is reasonable to expet some written comment about a mechanic finding poor oil condition due to lack of regular servicing on @Elwood service receipt @ 37,000 km mark... at I’d also expect in such instances the dealer should have discussed the issue with the owner...

Here’s the kicker, if it is reasonable to expect such a comment on the 37,000 kms receipt, wouldn’t the lack of written comment (or even a verbal discussion) on such an important issue like missed service and poor oil condition be rather important if the matter went to tribunal...

I’d think no comments being written on the service receipt (or no verbal discussion) could be indicative of Holden simple using a convenience @ the 47,000 kms mark to claim lack of oil change as being the cause of the issue. In such a case Holdens approach could be viewed as purely self servicing when combined with other issues of @Elwood stating he actually performed an oil change at 30,00kms.

Still think a small claims at minimal cost is a potential option... but it‘s always prudent to discuss with office of fair trading for some proper advice. Something to consider Elwood...

I don't think they actually write the oil appears to be past it's used by date.....I'm fairly confident in saying, they just put the car on the hoist and dump the oil....I'm fairly sure, they go by the service booklet that comes with the car. to help determine when services have been done.

If a car is taken to the same dealership, they will also have records on previous services and what was and needs to be done.....I'm not 100% sure whether they are interlinked with others, but would assume dealerships would be interlinked for these purposes....

Where the biggest issue is, the private mechanic not stamping the booklet that comes with the car and not being interlinked with dealerships for them to check into....So the dealership will run with this missed service in the booklet....

Of course there are other service related things they do, but considering we are on about oil changing and how they would determine things relating to that, we won't go any deeper into it

As for verbal correspondance.....I seriously doubt that'd hold much weight.....If someone is shonky and has done something silly to void their warranty and are trying to claim against the manufacturer, of course they will stand up to a higher authority and make claims they were told this, that and the other to get away with it....I'm not insinuating anyone on here would do those things either.....But unfortunately higher authorities require written/photographic proof, as it holds the most weight, when it comes to disputes, rather than a he said, she said scenario.

Last edited: