Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Having trouble deciding on what to upgrade to..

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
So I currently drive a CalaisV v6 and just into the new year I'll finally be on my Full License. I've always wanted a v8 not for power but for true v8 note on cruises my issue is now I'm not sure... My options now are I can get a 2008/2009 CalaisV V8 or 2008 SSV - OR get a brand new Series II SV6. I choose Calais back in 2008 because of the color screen & climate control seeing Sv6 didn't offer this in there range but now that I can soon drive a V8 an SSV would look like a potential goer however with the Series II now having multifunction color screens across the entire range maybe I'd be better off just getting a new model Sv6 and be happy with it?

anyone else been in a similar position? humor me with your thoughts.

woodys90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Had a v6, now have a v8, would never go back.... You could just wait til you can get a secondhand SSV or Calais v8 series II in your price range?

crackah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0
Had a v6, now have a v8, would never go back.... You could just wait til you can get a secondhand SSV or Calais v8 series II in your price range?

Agree! v8 way to go.

How about you drive the v8 and see what you think? Best thing to do imo.

Also, Series 2 would probably be 1-2 years away before its in that price range... i think. .

sersev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais v 6.0
Try to go a step forward Calais v v8 all the way

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
I'm with the others. I reckon wait until you've got your full license then go for a heap of test drives. If you've always wanted a V8 and then get to drive one, have the opportunity to own one, you can bet your arse you'll buy one. Also if you decide to throw a bit of money at the car in terms of sound and performance, you'll get great results for 'little' coin.

Mike08

No Back seat drivers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Go the 8 when you can mate, i have had 6's all my life and can tell you, that you will never want to go back to them once you get the 8.

Cheers.

energizer61

Reaction score
Members Ride
Man Ve SSV Sedan
Although I'm as biased as everyone else (Yes, I drive an 8 too) - Go with the 8, wait until you have the coin to get the best calais or SSV you can, and with what you save in the depreciation of a new SV6 as soon as you drive it out of the showroom, you can buy an exhaust to let the note out & fit a new computerised head unit if gadgets are your thing (or buy a playstation)
Personally, I wouldn't know if the stereo even works in mine, the windows always down with the stereo turned off (listening to the music you just won't get with a 6, no matter how much you spend) ;-)

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
I know everyone loves the 8.... hell, so do I.
But the sound of an 8 isnt the only consideration dude. Where you going to use it most? Stop start city traffic or open Hwy?
Because that'll make a huge difference in running costs. The AFM doesnt kick in at low stop start speeds, so dont be too phased with the hype on that.

Like others have suggested, go take both for a test drive. I personally dont think a 2nd hand 8 is worth it when compared to a brand spanking new series 2 SV6.
The new 6's are very responsive mate.... a hell of a lot better than the old clunckers.
In my opinion with the money you save on the 2nd hand 8, you could do a lot of things to the new SV6.
Wheels, mags, suspension, audio, tint, exhaust, etc etc etc.... and still have cash left over.

Plus, are you buying with cash or getting a loan? Because the difference in interest over the next 5 years will also make a difference to overall cost... in addition to upfront difference, insurance, fuel and servicing etc.

I love 8's.... but you gotta ask yourself how things will be in 3-5 years. You reckon fuel is going to be cheaper?
Go the brand new series 2 SV6 mate. At the very least take both for a drive, and dont just base it all on how one of them sounds. Yes the 8 sounds great, but at what price?