Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headlight Shadow

Turtleboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I've just taken a picture looking from the inside where the bulb mounts with a torch shining from outside the car... Think I found the cause.
Looks like the shield which shapes the beam pattern has warped and began to flake apart.
I wonder if the previous owner has damaged them somehow, or if they have just worn out?
There's another post with a headlight issue https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/projector-headlight-lens-damaged.290490/.
Headlight globes are seated correctly.
20230822_184556_001.jpg

Last edited:

lizzy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Storm Commodore
Ok that's interesting. Saw a guy at the gym drive in a VF the other day and desperately wanted to ask him how his headlights were! I did have RHS low beam replacement a couple of years ago and I think it did happen after that, I didn't notice it before. Someone on the thread suggested it was in cockeyed. I'm not even sure how these projector beams work. We tried throwing cover over one side at a time and it made no difference to pattern on a wall. Go figure. It's doing my head in as well!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I've just bought the car and now spent an hour or so trying to adjust the beam pattern.
I drove it up to Darwin from Brissy and spent about $400 on LED's thinking the halogens were just ****, now realising its a headlight issue.
We have a series 1 Calais V with the same looking headlight, beam pattern is perfect.
Just make sure the H7 inserts are seated correctly in the receptacle in the headlight housing.
The tang on the bulb should be at bottom dead center.

Turtleboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Ive just received a set of oem replicas in the mail, can clearly see the more defined beam shape on the shield. Will update once installed.

Attachments

• Resized_20230901_175707.jpeg
    Resized_20230901_175707.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 67

lizzy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Storm Commodore
Ive just received a set of oem replicas in the mail, can clearly see the more defined beam shape on the shield. Will update once installed.
Look forward to your update!

Turtleboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Can confirm this has completely fixed my issues. I bought an aftermarket set on eBay for about $450 with a code, identical to oem and looks like the shield has been improved too.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Well - how did that shield get warped/ damaged like that? Was the car running stock 55W globes or were they on high power halogens? I think LEDs and HIDs generally run a lot more cooler than halogen bulbs.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I'm suspecting, that at some stage the car has been worked on for a prolonged time with the car being in ignition mode and with the headlight on auto causing them to over heat. This, i think is the reason for some lights to melt as they don't have head on wind cooling them.
And a sarcastic thanx to the OP for pointing this out as i probly would never of noticed it , now i can't unsee it :rolleyes:

Pazzu

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SS Thunder 2017 VF S2 SS
My suspicion is that they try to shove an oversized LED into it and bent it. I doubt that they would design it such that it couldn't handle the heat. one would think it would be reasonable use to be stuck in traffic at night where there is little movement.

lizzy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Storm Commodore
Can confirm this has completely fixed my issues. I bought an aftermarket set on eBay for about $450 with a code, identical to oem and looks like the shield has been improved too.
Thanks! Can you send me a link for exactly what and where you purchased please. Is it a whole new headlight fitting?! Thanks Liz