Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headlight Shadow

Turtleboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
This is the set I bought on Ebay, I was able to use a code and get them for $450 plus shipping. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1427473...uid=c6htVH_qQ0K&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

As to the cause, I just bought the car so I'm not sure how it happened. I drove it up to NT from Brisbane and about halfway realised they were **** and picked up LEDs at mt Isa (didn't fix the issue). The bulbs I pulled out were the standard wattage.

I've spoken to my mate who is a Holden mechanic about the issue. He reckons its not too common but whenever someone complains about the beam pattern they just quote them a new set of lights. I've also seen a few posts in VF facebook groups about the same issue.

I doubt leaving the headlights on for a long time would cause them to melt, as they are a sealed unit without any airflow anyway. The cast aluminium shield would have to reach above 500 degrees, which i'm sure would be noticeable when the plastic front starts drooping. hopefully they would be designed to work for extended period in hotter climates than Brisbane.

The new oem style headlights shields look like much better quality over the genuine set.

Last edited:

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Good on you mate.

In terms of illuminating the road ahead - halogens in the standard headlight is sh*t anyway. You may want to consider the VF specific HID kit from eBay. They offer a far superior light output from the same headlight unit - especially if you do a lot of night driving.

PS: HIDs and LEDs are not legal for on road use in our cars.

lizzy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Storm Commodore
This is the set I bought on Ebay, I was able to use a code and get them for $450 plus shipping. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1427473...uid=c6htVH_qQ0K&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

As to the cause, I just bought the car so I'm not sure how it happened. I drove it up to NT from Brisbane and about halfway realised they were **** and picked up LEDs at mt Isa (didn't fix the issue). The bulbs I pulled out were the standard wattage.

I've spoken to my mate who is a Holden mechanic about the issue. He reckons its not too common but whenever someone complains about the beam pattern they just quote them a new set of lights. I've also seen a few posts in VF facebook groups about the same issue.

I doubt leaving the headlights on for a long time would cause them to melt, as they are a sealed unit without any airflow anyway. The cast aluminium shield would have to reach above 500 degrees, which i'm sure would be noticeable when the plastic front starts drooping. hopefully they would be designed to work for extended period in hotter climates than Brisbane.

The new oem style headlights shields look like much better quality over the genuine set.
Thank you so much for all the info. Just rubbish Holden bits seems to be the reason, not very technical but where they excel in some areas they fail in others....I still love my wagon :). I didn't think the bulb replacement was going to be a fix because of the symmetrical nature of the pattern, although we were all hoping that would be the cheaper fix I'm sure

Turtleboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Thank you so much for all the info. Just rubbish Holden bits seems to be the reason, not very technical but where they excel in some areas they fail in others....I still love my wagon :). I didn't think the bulb replacement was going to be a fix because of the symmetrical nature of the pattern, although we were all hoping that would be the cheaper fix I'm sure
The worst part is having to pull all 400 screws out to remove the front bumper.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon

My headlight is melted , you cant see it well from the photo but it is melted and ive heard of this happen to others, the spot i'm pointing at looks like someone held a lighter to it and the speckles you can see is where the plastic has crazed/bubbled
20230907_161146.jpg

Last edited:

lizzy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Storm Commodore
The worst part is having to pull all 400 screws out to remove the front bumper.
OK so I just found an auto-electrician who was very familiar with this problem. I didn't have to explain much, he has come across this before in Commodores. Shame I didn't realise during the warranty period! He's going to order some new headlights.... $770 plus freight and fitting... expensive problem to rectify. I don't see myself dismantling and fitting :) I can't order from EBay, they've banned me for some bizarre reason... reckoned I had two accounts Umm I don't think so.....
Hope those new headlights of yours are still shining brightly!

Turtleboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
OK so I just found an auto-electrician who was very familiar with this problem. I didn't have to explain much, he has come across this before in Commodores. Shame I didn't realise during the warranty period! He's going to order some new headlights.... $770 plus freight and fitting... expensive problem to rectify. I don't see myself dismantling and fitting :) I can't order from EBay, they've banned me for some bizarre reason... reckoned I had two accounts Umm I don't think so.....
Hope those new headlights of yours are still shining brightly!
Sounds like the best solution to your Ebay dilemma is to make another account ;)
And yes no issues with the headlights so far, they look great brand new.

Reactions: Lex