Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

heater core on VS

Ray W

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive wagon
I'm new to this forum and would like to add my sincere thanks to those who have gone before, especially to Skeg1967 for his instructions on the heater core change. I have successfully replaced the core in our ride and no longer get wet feet and run out of coolant. Cheers all.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Its an awsome idea, massive time and effort saver.

b4k8ssz1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
As Fletch_QLD and others say, this is a really bad design flaw - as gradual leaks from heater core's will result in very slow and subtle loss of engine coolant leaving people out on the road on a hot summers day.

Is it just me or does it seem dumb that a faulty heating system can eventually lead to the loss of engine cooling and overheating engine failure? Holden really should have taken care to separate the cooling system from the cabin heating system. I think everyone would agree that the two systems should be completely independant. After all - would you design a car that wouldn't change gears if the CD player stopped working?

For about half of Australia having a heater is a waste of time anway.

DavoVP

Reaction score
So i did this to my VP, Did anyone find they had to realy tighten the hose clamps to stop it leaking?

I mean realy tighten !

nepal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VX
Hey guys im new to this forum.

My windows fogg up and i ve got green cooling water in the cabine mostly on the floor on the driver side and on the passanger side. So i assume its the heater core. Now i ve got a Commodore VX and had a look if it would be a easy as u guys sad. Could it be possible that im not able to do the shortcut dodgy version of fixing the problem? did u guys start to remove the dash on the drivers side??

thanks for ur help

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Have you checked the VT/VX forum yet?....it may be quite different on a VX to the method outlined in this thread. Have you had a look under the dash to see if the heater radiator is in the same position.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
As Fletch_QLD and others say, this is a really bad design flaw - as gradual leaks from heater core's will result in very slow and subtle loss of engine coolant leaving people out on the road on a hot summers day.

Is it just me or does it seem dumb that a faulty heating system can eventually lead to the loss of engine cooling and overheating engine failure? Holden really should have taken care to separate the cooling system from the cabin heating system. I think everyone would agree that the two systems should be completely independant. After all - would you design a car that wouldn't change gears if the CD player stopped working?

For about half of Australia having a heater is a waste of time anway.

I don't recall having seen any make of car with a totally seperate cabin heating system when they use the engines heat. To have 2 seperate systems there would need to be a heat exchanger (which could still corrode or break) and a seperate pump. If the heater core breaks it's a fairly simple task to bypass it from within the engine bay and refill the radiator. I always carry coolant and a section of hose/formed section of water pipe when I am travelling.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
This thread is one of the best I have ever seen on here.
Eazy to do / saves a lot money and I think just about anybody could do it.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

SWE11L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina/ KJ Verada/ 88 Trans Am
Is there a chance of the hoses leaking? Boiling water dripping on u while driving doesnt appeal to me! Ever happened to anyone who's do it the shortcut way??

I want to do this to mine mine as i suspect a leak and i can smell coolant occaisonally inside, i also want to replace the climate sensor (which i have) and climate control dash unit (cause its stuffed) to completely fix up climate control system. I know they sell them on ebay but im not into bidding wars, anyone have or know if anyone is selling a working climate control unit??