Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

heater core on VS

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Is there a chance of the hoses leaking? Boiling water dripping on u while driving doesnt appeal to me! Ever happened to anyone who's do it the shortcut way??

There would be the same chance of the hose leaking as there is of the heater leaking....neither should leak but both do when old. You could add an outer hose to stop this or maybe a splash plate, but you cannot take account every possibility.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive found that heater cores seem to rust out or corrode a lot quicker when the heater is not used regularly.I make an affort to use my heater for 15 minutes once a week on the full hot position,even in summer,and I also use my A/C for 15 minutes once a week to keep it in good condition through the winter.I also use good quality coolant mixed at the proper ratio,this helps stop parts of the cooling system,including the heater core,from corroding or rusting away..

SWE11L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina/ KJ Verada/ 88 Trans Am
Hey guys, sorry to dig up this thread but I just changed my core the shortcut way and just thought I'd throw in my tips.
Do the hose clips up very tight, I did them up tight to start and once coolant started flowing it was dripping onto where my left foot would sit.
I used an angle grinder with a thin disc to cut the old core out. If you choose this method try having a friend with a steady hand hold a vacuum near where you are cutting otherwise your interior will look like someone has spilt a bag of gold glitter everywhere.
Cheers, Chris.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
me too.................
Ive found that heater cores seem to rust out or corrode a lot quicker when the heater is not used regularly.I make an affort to use my heater for 15 minutes once a week on the full hot position,even in summer,and I also use my A/C for 15 minutes once a week to keep it in good condition through the winter.I also use good quality coolant mixed at the proper ratio,this helps stop parts of the cooling system,including the heater core,from corroding or rusting away..

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Hey guys, sorry to dig up this thread but I just changed my core the shortcut way and just thought I'd throw in my tips.
Do the hose clips up very tight, I did them up tight to start and once coolant started flowing it was dripping onto where my left foot would sit.
The OP has 2X hose clamps on each side, did you also do this or only the 1. And how tight, like only screwdriver tight, or 1/4" 7mm socket tight?

SWE11L

Reaction score
Members Ride
The OP has 2X hose clamps on each side, did you also do this or only the 1. And how tight, like only screwdriver tight, or 1/4" 7mm socket tight?

Mine is done the same as in skeg1967's photo's. Socket tight, it felt like it could go tighter but I had already been tightening it for so long I thought it might start crushing the heater core piping. I'm thinking of maybe cutting longer length's of heater hose and perhaps add some extra clamps like you mentioned...

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Dam thats getting tight then, maybe some sort of liqid sealant might help for future endeavors. I wonder if flaring the ends of the pipes and clamping just behind might help.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I put some Plumber`s Stag and two clamps on a toyota thermostate housing pipe and that worked.
The pipe was chrome and very slippery.

SWE11L

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dam thats getting tight then, maybe some sort of liqid sealant might help for future endeavors. I wonder if flaring the ends of the pipes and clamping just behind might help.

I considered flaring the end. I might look into the sealant...