Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heater working but not blowing from air vents - VR

SiKC.VR

hoon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
My heater core is not clogged, both hoses in and out are hot but there's no heat coming from the dash or under the dash (feet) but the fans are working and only air blows out created by the fans....
though while i was replacing the carpeting, i accidentally broke off a piece from the plastic where the heater core housing sits which was a screw holding the lines for the rear vents (see pictures) and surprisingly when the heater is on, the heater only blows out of that hole whilst cold air blows from the actual vents

any suggestions would be great! thanks.

Attachments

• FILE0580.jpg
    FILE0580.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 3,846
  • FILE0583.jpg
    FILE0583.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 3,587

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Try replacing your vac solenoid box, not too expensive from the wreckers. I think holden still sell them new but theyre a bit more pricey.
Vac solenoid box is underneath the cd player area see photos in my thread for what it looks like, they often leak. Also check all the hoses in your engine bay ( vac hoses) if they're old and perished replace them, also check the one way valve (not sure if VRs have this the VS does) and the T-Piece. Definitely a vacuum problem anyways.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
At a guess, I'd say the bit of plastic you broke off is allowing all the hot air to escape out the hole as you describe rather than travel further and out the vents. I would glue the piece back in or somehow block that hole.

SiKC.VR

hoon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
Before i broke it, it didn't work which made me thing there was a problem with the heating system itself, but since its blowing hot air from that hole i broke and not the vents, i now know that the heater does work but its not getting to the vents so it should have something to do with the vacuum as nathanvs said above, im going to have it looked at by my mechanic and let you guys know!! :)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Before i broke it, it didn't work which made me thing there was a problem with the heating system itself, but since its blowing hot air from that hole i broke and not the vents, i now know that the heater does work but its not getting to the vents so it should have something to do with the vacuum as nathanvs said above, im going to have it looked at by my mechanic and let you guys know!! :)

OK - your original post didn't mention that it didn't work before you broke it - sounds like one of the vacuum solenoids is not opening the hot air flap...possibly dislodged vacuum line.
By the way, does your car have standard A/C or climate control?