Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP! Engine Misfire, Cyl 2, 4 and 6... and CEL

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by jboz1992, Nov 7, 2011.

1. jboz1992

jboz1992 New Member

Members Ride:
    2006 VE SV6
    Help. My 06 Ve SV6 is running really rough.

The other day I stop in a car park, put it into neutral, put the handbrake and BAM! the Check engine light comes on and the car begins to run very roughly. So I turned it off and then back on again and all was running fine. 500m down the road it does it again, even when accelerating.

Took it to my machanic, who plugged his diagnose tool in and found four error codes, P0300, P0302, P0304 and P0306.

From my understanding these are Misfire codes, on cyl 2,4 and 6.

A couple of days later he rings to tell me it has all of sudden stopped misfiring and the CEL is gone. He had done absolutly nothing to it, as he had not had a chance to look at it. The mechanic suggested I take it for a drive around town for a few hours to see if the problem re-occurs, but after driving a few hours around town it was all fine. So I took it home. As soon as I pulled into my garage BAM! it starts again.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to their VE? or has anyone got any Idea what is going on?

The thing is, when I first turn it on, it runs fine for about 2mins (CEL is still on) and all of a sudden starts misfiring and running ruff.
    I guess it would be an electrical fault somewhere, as it runs fine for the small period of time and it run for hours the day i drove around town.

PLEASE HELP!

2. Ron Burgundy

Ron Burgundy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SS
  3. jboz1992

jboz1992 New Member

Members Ride:
    2006 VE SV6
    Thanks for the reply.

Do you know which side the 'even' cylnders are on?

4. Zerone_V

Zerone_V New Member

Members Ride:
    Lexus IS350 (SL)
    Here are details of the DTC Codes

P0300 Diagnostic Trouble Code Description:

Engine Misfire Detected

Possible Sensor Faults
    ECM

Possible Related Diagnostic Trouble Codes
    DTC P0300-P0306 for the 2.8L, 3.0L, 3.2L, or 3.6L engine

Circuit / System Description
    The engine control module (ECM) uses information from the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensors in order to determine when an engine misfire is occurring. By monitoring variations in the crankshaft rotation speed for each cylinder, the ECM is able to detect individual misfire events. A misfire rate that is high enough can cause 3-way catalytic converter damage. The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) will flash ON and OFF when the conditions for catalytic converter damage are present. DTCs?P0301 through P0306 correspond to cylinders?1 through 6. If the ECM is able to determine that a specific cylinder is misfiring, the DTC for that cylinder will set, and the corresponding fuel injector is disabled. The ECM will re-enable the fuel injector after 4 crankshaft revolutions when the misfire is not current. The ECM will re-enable the fuel injector after 8 crankshaft revolutions when the misfire is not current, if the vehicle is equipped with a manual transmission.

Not sure what side the even Cylinders are on though :(

5. RiCeY

RiCeY F O R U M W A R R I O R

Members Ride:
    VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 470rwhp
    When a whole bank misfires its sometimes a failed catalytic converter on that side.

From memory the evens are the passenger side.

6. myberlina

myberlina BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!

Members Ride:
    2006 VE Calais
    My '06 Calais has started to do the exact same thing. Virtually started doing it overnight. It is fine when the weather is cool but once the engine gets to operating temperature it cracks the biggest fit. Once the 'CEL' comes on it's game over unless I pussy foot her along then I have no problems with the fail-safe mode kicking in.

Although I must confess after doing the servicing myself for some time now I have forgotten one vital thing - the spark plugs. She has 147,000 on the clock now and the sparks (according to the service manual) were meant to be done at 120,000. Most likely forgot back then when servicing to get around to it due to the massive f-around with the manifold.

I will be changing them sparks this weekend regardless of whether or not it fixes the issue I have and let you know what the verdict is.

Last week I filled up at Shell with 95ron (normally BP Ultimate) and she hasn't felt the same since. Not sure if the fuel quality has caused the issue or not. Can't prove that.

7. gdw

gdw New Member

Members Ride:
    2011 ve 6 cylinder auto calais
    My 2011 ve v6 calais is doing exactly the same thing , exactly as you describe it , i did the same thing twice and the same twicw.

Down to the shops fine , 30 min in car park , then the car lost power and got a engine warning at the exact same corner .
    I think the heat build up in the engine bay caused the fault , yes it feels like coils on one bank.

The first time it happened i had to get the car towed home , tomorrow i am getting towed to a dealer.

8. RiCeY

RiCeY F O R U M W A R R I O R

Members Ride:
    VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 470rwhp
    Unlikely to be coils as they are all seperate, not a pack.

To prove it swap the coils from one bank to the other and see if the fault changes sides.

9. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    I wouldn't suspect individual coils either. Cat problem sounds plausible. Each bank is also grounded seperately but I don't see how it could cause it in this instance.

Sent from here, so you can read it there via iPhone.

10. rumper

rumper New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Maloo
    Mine is doing the same now too. Cyls 1,3,5.
    Just finished putting new timing chains on. Runs fine for a while then craps itself when hot

11. Benboy

Benboy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    2007 SVZ Wagon
    When you experience the engine failing to start after a run - and the engine is hot, pour a cup or two of (cool) water over the crankshaft sensor. If the car starts immediately afterwards, replace sensor.

12. Harsha

Harsha New Member

Members Ride:
    07 3.6 ve omega lpg
    i am experiencing this problem with one of the cylinders on my '07 Ve Omega which is on duel fuel. Have changed over coil packs and spark plugs but still no change. Engine running rough and engine check light on at the get go. And this all cos of the air con on and speeding up an incline road. My mechanic mate says it could possibly be an issue with the gasket. Any advice would be much appreciated.

13. SSVREDLINEUTE

SSVREDLINEUTE New Member

Members Ride:
    VE S2 SSV Redline ute 6.0 M6
    Seems to be a common fault with ve's I too am chasing this issue.. I'm thinking it's coils.. Just because they spark doesn't mean there not faulty.. Could break down on load ect..
    1. Check plugs.
    2. Check leads are fitted correctly.
    3. Check the coils resistance ohms ect. This will tell how good the coil is
    4, check injectors are working with a stethoscope to hear them click
    5. Crank sensor?? Maybe?
    6. Throttle position sensor, could be however that would raise code p2135.. This would be similar to the issue you are experiencing.
    7.. I've had the multiple miss fire codes..

Good luck! Looking forward to reading what it is!

14. vx super

vx super New Member

Members Ride:
    vx 2001 supercharged 3.8l
    hey guys, my 2001 vx supercharged is also doing this!! all plugs on bank#2 are very carboned up and black, even though they are brand new.

engine missing under load at first. if i dont touch the throtle it settels it self down to a steady idle, when stopped.

done leads also

15. Michael-08-VE

Michael-08-VE New Member

Members Ride:
    Ve commodore
    My 08 sv6 did this with 2,4 and 6 misfires I replace the plugs and it stopped and hasn't had any trouble for a year now:/

16. sv6_06

sv6_06 New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ MY06 SV6
    My 2011 SV6 ute did this exact same thing.

Mis fires etc, 7 trips to holden under warranty.

First time - We cant make it misfire here so we cleared the codes and ur car is on its way

Second visit - Next day, goes in and the engine has an extreme carb build up (had 60K on clock mind you).

third visit - Check engine light came on again but no misfire (code is low catalyst efficiency left bank), clear code, on your way sir

fourth visit - check engine light back on (same low catalyst code) update ecu software, clear code, on your way sir

Fifth visit - check engine light back on (low catalyst code), Oxygen sensors swapped bank to bank, clear code, on your way sir

Sixth visit - check engine light back on (low catalyst code) im starting to get very cranky and loud in the dealer. they agree to pull the cat out like I asked on the second visit, cat was hollow. None in Australia even though they were still banging out series 2 VE's at the factory in Adelaide at the time.

Seventh visit - after driving with the check engine light on for nearly 2 months the cat was swapped and now the car has been fine ever since.

Hope my little holden horror story will help you diagnose ur car a it better.

17. Fox3030

Fox3030 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vh
    Check the common coil earth on the side of each cylinder head. they can be loose and cause a whole bank to misfire.

18. Ando1986

Ando1986 New Member

Members Ride:
    Ve and vr
    How did you go with the cause of the misfire

19. holdenguy005

holdenguy005 holdenguy

Members Ride:
    1999 HOLDEN SUPERCHARGED CALAIS
    Alright matey
    I also have a 2008 sv6 holden commodore 195 kW
    I want to share this information with everyone
    Now if u have codes
    P0305 misfire cylinder 5
    P0273 low voltage on injector number 5

Do not replace the ecu engine control computer
    My auto electrician said yes it will be ecu local holden dealers replaced a few "apparently"
    Took it to local holden dealer in New Plymouth and they had no one that would touch it because of the LPG
    More like no one qualified or skilled enough

So I paid to truck it 3 hours away to another holden dealer (ebbetts holden) these guys are legends
    They said yes we will Ervin a new ECU one hours work $110 incl gst plus $913 Ecu plus gst

I told them to replace it as that's what my auto sparky told me .
    However they replaced ecu and fault codes came back up

Now it wasn't the ECU at all, it's poor connections that had carbon build up on them , carbon on contacts is not a good conductor . They cleaned 3 plugs up ECU one behind plenum cover and the injector and fault codes went away

However I can't get a refund on ECU as once the vin is burned to ECU it cannot be changed to a new car.

Car runs mint now but thee 2 fault codes aren't coils spark plugs in this case, it was faulty connectors.

The holden dealer I sent it to ebbetts had never replaced an ECU on a ve commodore before so all the ones the local dealer are replacing are and I'm very certain not faulty at all.

I really hope this helps a few people out and go buy some anti carbon contact cleaner . Contact cleaner must say dissolves carbon as there are a lot out there that won't :)

Hope this helps a few people out :) X

20. BowTieGQ

BowTieGQ Member

Members Ride:
    4.8 ;)