Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP! Engine Misfire, Cyl 2, 4 and 6... and CEL

jboz1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
Help. My 06 Ve SV6 is running really rough.

The other day I stop in a car park, put it into neutral, put the handbrake and BAM! the Check engine light comes on and the car begins to run very roughly. So I turned it off and then back on again and all was running fine. 500m down the road it does it again, even when accelerating.

Took it to my machanic, who plugged his diagnose tool in and found four error codes, P0300, P0302, P0304 and P0306.

From my understanding these are Misfire codes, on cyl 2,4 and 6.

A couple of days later he rings to tell me it has all of sudden stopped misfiring and the CEL is gone. He had done absolutly nothing to it, as he had not had a chance to look at it. The mechanic suggested I take it for a drive around town for a few hours to see if the problem re-occurs, but after driving a few hours around town it was all fine. So I took it home. As soon as I pulled into my garage BAM! it starts again.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to their VE? or has anyone got any Idea what is going on?

The thing is, when I first turn it on, it runs fine for about 2mins (CEL is still on) and all of a sudden starts misfiring and running ruff.
I guess it would be an electrical fault somewhere, as it runs fine for the small period of time and it run for hours the day i drove around town.

PLEASE HELP!

jboz1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
Thanks for the reply.

Do you know which side the 'even' cylnders are on?

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Here are details of the DTC Codes

P0300 Diagnostic Trouble Code Description:

Engine Misfire Detected

Possible Sensor Faults
ECM

Possible Related Diagnostic Trouble Codes
DTC P0300-P0306 for the 2.8L, 3.0L, 3.2L, or 3.6L engine

Circuit / System Description
The engine control module (ECM) uses information from the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensors in order to determine when an engine misfire is occurring. By monitoring variations in the crankshaft rotation speed for each cylinder, the ECM is able to detect individual misfire events. A misfire rate that is high enough can cause 3-way catalytic converter damage. The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) will flash ON and OFF when the conditions for catalytic converter damage are present. DTCs?P0301 through P0306 correspond to cylinders?1 through 6. If the ECM is able to determine that a specific cylinder is misfiring, the DTC for that cylinder will set, and the corresponding fuel injector is disabled. The ECM will re-enable the fuel injector after 4 crankshaft revolutions when the misfire is not current. The ECM will re-enable the fuel injector after 8 crankshaft revolutions when the misfire is not current, if the vehicle is equipped with a manual transmission.

Not sure what side the even Cylinders are on though :(

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
When a whole bank misfires its sometimes a failed catalytic converter on that side.

From memory the evens are the passenger side.

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
Help. My 06 Ve SV6 is running really rough.

The other day I stop in a car park, put it into neutral, put the handbrake and BAM! the Check engine light comes on and the car begins to run very roughly. So I turned it off and then back on again and all was running fine. 500m down the road it does it again, even when accelerating.

Took it to my machanic, who plugged his diagnose tool in and found four error codes, P0300, P0302, P0304 and P0306.

From my understanding these are Misfire codes, on cyl 2,4 and 6.

A couple of days later he rings to tell me it has all of sudden stopped misfiring and the CEL is gone. He had done absolutly nothing to it, as he had not had a chance to look at it. The mechanic suggested I take it for a drive around town for a few hours to see if the problem re-occurs, but after driving a few hours around town it was all fine. So I took it home. As soon as I pulled into my garage BAM! it starts again.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to their VE? or has anyone got any Idea what is going on?

The thing is, when I first turn it on, it runs fine for about 2mins (CEL is still on) and all of a sudden starts misfiring and running ruff.
I guess it would be an electrical fault somewhere, as it runs fine for the small period of time and it run for hours the day i drove around town.

PLEASE HELP!

My '06 Calais has started to do the exact same thing. Virtually started doing it overnight. It is fine when the weather is cool but once the engine gets to operating temperature it cracks the biggest fit. Once the 'CEL' comes on it's game over unless I pussy foot her along then I have no problems with the fail-safe mode kicking in.

Although I must confess after doing the servicing myself for some time now I have forgotten one vital thing - the spark plugs. She has 147,000 on the clock now and the sparks (according to the service manual) were meant to be done at 120,000. Most likely forgot back then when servicing to get around to it due to the massive f-around with the manifold.

I will be changing them sparks this weekend regardless of whether or not it fixes the issue I have and let you know what the verdict is.

Last week I filled up at Shell with 95ron (normally BP Ultimate) and she hasn't felt the same since. Not sure if the fuel quality has caused the issue or not. Can't prove that.

gdw

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 ve 6 cylinder auto calais
My 2011 ve v6 calais is doing exactly the same thing , exactly as you describe it , i did the same thing twice and the same twicw.

Down to the shops fine , 30 min in car park , then the car lost power and got a engine warning at the exact same corner .
I think the heat build up in the engine bay caused the fault , yes it feels like coils on one bank.

The first time it happened i had to get the car towed home , tomorrow i am getting towed to a dealer.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Unlikely to be coils as they are all seperate, not a pack.

To prove it swap the coils from one bank to the other and see if the fault changes sides.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I wouldn't suspect individual coils either. Cat problem sounds plausible. Each bank is also grounded seperately but I don't see how it could cause it in this instance.

Sent from here, so you can read it there via iPhone.

rumper

Reaction score
Website
www.brewersupplies.com.au
Members Ride
VF Maloo
Mine is doing the same now too. Cyls 1,3,5.
Just finished putting new timing chains on. Runs fine for a while then craps itself when hot