Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Omega Series 2 - Misfire - Odd Issues

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
Further to my post just be aware he had no overheating issues only a bit of white smoke out the tailpipe when hot.
The car ran perfect until warmed up and then would just cut out at odd times but would always restart.
Always had a funny smell and everyone used to comment on it when walking under his carport.
He chased his tail and replaced every sensor and made no difference (he has a bucket of spares now)
Dropped new engine in and used all the same wiring harness and just hooked everything up and has not missed a beat since.
Tore old engine apart and no issues with head gaskets and nothing obvious but did find a lot of discolouration in the bores and the cams were worn.
Lot of gunk in the oil pickup as well but not completely blocked.
These engine are weird when they are running right they are great but when they go bad they are not worth fixing and are a throwaway item.
He was happy with the money from the metal recycle place for it :D

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
Since I did the injectors, coil packs and spark plugs the car starts and runs fine now no misfire so whatever I did fixed that side of it.

But it's been consistantly blowing white smoke now where as before it came and went. It then starts having issues once warmed up (starts to misfire and run rough). If you drive it down the driveway and it's on a steepish slope and try and accelerate up it really misses and carries on (to me thats a sign of really bad compression). If you do it when it's cold, it doesn't misfire it just feels really bad like it's a giant miss etc.

So I'd say it has a head gasket or a cracked head. I'll do a compression test just to confirm....... the only other question I got is, that intake manifold gasket, no coolant comes up to that does it? ........ Just making sure it's not just flowing up through that directly into the cylinder instead.

But yes tossing up chemiseal or head gasket kit and doing it myself. I've done a few now so.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
OK so update. Added some chemiseal shiz in the coolant for the headgasket..... kinda thinking may still not be that.

Anyway I've been checking with the Tech 2 for codes..... and I can tell you it's hopeless. I hooked up my HP Tuners, scanned for DTC's and found a few instantly.

P0192 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Low (Permanent)
P0201 & P0202 - Cylinders 1 & 2 Injector Circuit / Open (Permanent)
P0606 - ECM/PCM Processor (Permanent)

.... Now this has new injectors. I have ohm tested the injectors and from the loom end that plugs into the ECU. I've also tested the injectors via a 9v battery through the room and they click.

My thoughts are faulty ECU .... Short of shoving a pin directly into the ECU to check with a test light to make sure voltage is going to the injector.... I have tested the injectors get voltage and they do I just haven't done it while the cars been running (as they are burried in the V) and just haven't looked at the ECU connector (take the back off the plug to shove a pin in).

Thoughts? ....

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
Check wiring before sticking things in as I would almost bet wire has rubbed through or sustained damage somewhere in the engine bay along the sides of the engine. Well anyway that I what I would eliminate first even if it meant undoing the harness and re-wrapping with tesa tape and plastic cover to make sure.

Also I think you will find the injectors always have power to them and get a ground signal to fire.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s been written already several times but the high pressure fuel pump sits on the motor. It’s mechanical. It can leak fuel into the oil.

There is also a fuel pump located in the tank of course but a 2010 should have direct injection and will have the high pressure pump mounted to the motor like they were back in the days of old.

No mention that it has been checked and yet we jump to computers and radical conclusions.

Has a compression test been done yet?

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
As mentioned I did ohm check the injectors when they were out, their cables themselves to make sure there was no shorts between them and the room itself along with then retesting the loom with the injectors in.

Interesting things......... I just unhooked that cable to x number of sensors, reprogrammed the same ECU etc...... codes still there. My conclusion is it has a failed injector driver.

I'm going to grab another ECU and program it and see what happens.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
I wouldn't think reprogramming would wipe out the eeprom data where permanent codes are stored.
You would have to do a full reset and re-link to wipe out permanent codes.
I might be wrong but I have this nasty itch in the back of my neck that says I might be right.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
So I did further testing unhooking the ecu plugs and basically............. what I eneded up doing was hooking a spare good injector directly upto the wiring loom (down where the injector loom pluigs in) and checking the codes to see if the error moved which it did and if it was essentially my injector loom. I cleared the injector loom so moved onto the ECU loom, cleared that, moved directly to connecting the injector straigth to the ECU same result.

So ECU Faulty. Weirdly the ECU provides power and I personally think that it'd likely be firing the injectors but with the Fuel Rail Pressure sensor also not working (according to the ECU) thats likely my stumble/miss coming up the driveway as the ECU stupidly doesn't know or thinks it doesn't know how much fuel there is and yeah.

So replacement ECU is on the way, I'll reprogram it and then run some tests to confirm it's good and then plug it in and see what happens.

Just shows that ohm testing directly from the loom that comes straight off the ECU to the injectors is all you really need to do to confirm an open circuit.... Obviously if you do, then you need to goto the injector and test....... and work your way back from there. In my case it appears it was the last thing....

Never come across a faulty ECU before, if I get the new one and those codes are still there I'll be scratching my head. I'll post and update once I've got it etc. I just wanna help everyone on here not have to chase their tale so much....

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Good luck....hope you sort it.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
Anyway I've been checking with the Tech 2 for codes..... and I can tell you it's hopeless. I hooked up my HP Tuners, scanned for DTC's and found a few instantly.

P0192 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Low (Permanent)
P0201 & P0202 - Cylinders 1 & 2 Injector Circuit / Open (Permanent)
P0606 - ECM/PCM Processor (Permanent)
Thoughts? ....
trust the tech2, some scan tools invent codes
the cheaper the scan tool
the more untrustworthy they are