Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP! Engine Misfire, Cyl 2, 4 and 6... and CEL

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
When you experience the engine failing to start after a run - and the engine is hot, pour a cup or two of (cool) water over the crankshaft sensor. If the car starts immediately afterwards, replace sensor.

Harsha

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 3.6 ve omega lpg
i am experiencing this problem with one of the cylinders on my '07 Ve Omega which is on duel fuel. Have changed over coil packs and spark plugs but still no change. Engine running rough and engine check light on at the get go. And this all cos of the air con on and speeding up an incline road. My mechanic mate says it could possibly be an issue with the gasket. Any advice would be much appreciated.

SSVREDLINEUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SSV Redline ute 6.0 M6
Seems to be a common fault with ve's I too am chasing this issue.. I'm thinking it's coils.. Just because they spark doesn't mean there not faulty.. Could break down on load ect..
1. Check plugs.
2. Check leads are fitted correctly.
3. Check the coils resistance ohms ect. This will tell how good the coil is
4, check injectors are working with a stethoscope to hear them click
5. Crank sensor?? Maybe?
6. Throttle position sensor, could be however that would raise code p2135.. This would be similar to the issue you are experiencing.
7.. I've had the multiple miss fire codes..

Good luck! Looking forward to reading what it is!

vx super

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx 2001 supercharged 3.8l
hey guys, my 2001 vx supercharged is also doing this!! all plugs on bank#2 are very carboned up and black, even though they are brand new.

engine missing under load at first. if i dont touch the throtle it settels it self down to a steady idle, when stopped.

done leads also

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
My 08 sv6 did this with 2,4 and 6 misfires I replace the plugs and it stopped and hasn't had any trouble for a year now:/

sv6_06

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SV6
My 2011 SV6 ute did this exact same thing.

Mis fires etc, 7 trips to holden under warranty.

First time - We cant make it misfire here so we cleared the codes and ur car is on its way

Second visit - Next day, goes in and the engine has an extreme carb build up (had 60K on clock mind you).

third visit - Check engine light came on again but no misfire (code is low catalyst efficiency left bank), clear code, on your way sir

fourth visit - check engine light back on (same low catalyst code) update ecu software, clear code, on your way sir

Fifth visit - check engine light back on (low catalyst code), Oxygen sensors swapped bank to bank, clear code, on your way sir

Sixth visit - check engine light back on (low catalyst code) im starting to get very cranky and loud in the dealer. they agree to pull the cat out like I asked on the second visit, cat was hollow. None in Australia even though they were still banging out series 2 VE's at the factory in Adelaide at the time.

Seventh visit - after driving with the check engine light on for nearly 2 months the cat was swapped and now the car has been fine ever since.

Hope my little holden horror story will help you diagnose ur car a it better.

Fox3030

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh
Mine is doing the same now too. Cyls 1,3,5.
Just finished putting new timing chains on. Runs fine for a while then craps itself when hot

Check the common coil earth on the side of each cylinder head. they can be loose and cause a whole bank to misfire.

holdenguy005

holdenguy
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 HOLDEN SUPERCHARGED CALAIS
Alright matey
I also have a 2008 sv6 holden commodore 195 kW
I want to share this information with everyone
Now if u have codes
P0305 misfire cylinder 5
P0273 low voltage on injector number 5

Do not replace the ecu engine control computer
My auto electrician said yes it will be ecu local holden dealers replaced a few "apparently"
Took it to local holden dealer in New Plymouth and they had no one that would touch it because of the LPG
More like no one qualified or skilled enough

So I paid to truck it 3 hours away to another holden dealer (ebbetts holden) these guys are legends
They said yes we will Ervin a new ECU one hours work $110 incl gst plus $913 Ecu plus gst

I told them to replace it as that's what my auto sparky told me .
However they replaced ecu and fault codes came back up

Now it wasn't the ECU at all, it's poor connections that had carbon build up on them , carbon on contacts is not a good conductor . They cleaned 3 plugs up ECU one behind plenum cover and the injector and fault codes went away

However I can't get a refund on ECU as once the vin is burned to ECU it cannot be changed to a new car.

Car runs mint now but thee 2 fault codes aren't coils spark plugs in this case, it was faulty connectors.

The holden dealer I sent it to ebbetts had never replaced an ECU on a ve commodore before so all the ones the local dealer are replacing are and I'm very certain not faulty at all.

I really hope this helps a few people out and go buy some anti carbon contact cleaner . Contact cleaner must say dissolves carbon as there are a lot out there that won't :)

Hope this helps a few people out :) X