Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help! HSV brakes onto VE SS

SCV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I've bought some wheels that I know will fit the rotor and the caliper too.

Thanks for the help guys! Appreciated.

bonners

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sting SV Black Edition Tourer
apart from the rear dust shield, I am pretty certain they bolt straight up. Have never heard of different moiunting brackets. And I was pretty certain the lines are the same for VE SS, Brembo and HSV calipers. I know standard lines bolt onto Brembo. Im certain they are the same for HSV

doubledip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, LH Torana / LSA / VE E3 HSV interior
100% brake hoses different on the front for the ss to Hsv ap brakes. Lay under car and look and see ssv hoses are kinked at end where banjo bolt goes through

SCV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Update:

Just for the blokes that wish to do this mod in the future.

Dust cover had to be cut, I have aftermarket braided lines - so it joint right up. Stock may not have fit.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
And just to confirm those caliper bolts are one use only.

racka4279

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Berlina
Out of curiosity, do the larger brakes not bugger up the ESP programming? I'd have thought that the much greater stopping power would cause issues as ESP would be calibrated for a certain type of brake.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
So far, I haven't had any problems with mine.

Actually when you think about it, the ABS and stability management systems use the wheel speed sensors as a closed loop feedback,
so if too much braking force is applied, then the wheel rotation will retard much more quickly than the ABS/ESP expected,
which will then in turn reduce the brake pressure to regulate the braking force.

The rolling wheel diameter and tread width on different wheels (or different to factory specifications) can actually make more of a difference to the ESP function, than increasing the brake size,
as the ESP uses lookup tables for vehicle speed, steering angle, yaw rates, and wheel speeds, and then predicts based on a fixed traction index for the wheels to determine just how much the vehicle needs to be corrected.
Though to be honest, there is soo much leeway added to these systems in terms of slippery roads, bald tyres, and sensor errors that you would not really notice.

(An example of this is the BFII Typhoon, where ESP was added to most FPV BFII models, except the typhoon, as the wheel diameters and weight distribution were substantially different to the other models, and the budget did not stretch to testing and calibrating the ESP for all FPV models. So FPV chose to concentrate on the GT, GT-P).

HavocNT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 60th Anniversary
100% brake hoses different on the front for the ss to Hsv ap brakes. Lay under car and look and see ssv hoses are kinked at end where banjo bolt goes through
Yes. I can confirm this as well. I had the same problem when installing my set of Alcons on my SSV. Had to order a set that fit the HSV's as the banjos are definitely different.

SCV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Sorry for the late reply.... been inactive from the forum for a while..

This brake upgrade had no affect on ESC etc. Pulls up great especially on the track. :D

Best bang for buck VE brake upgrade -> HSV 4 pot brakes! :beer chug:

gmoulds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SS M6
To save starting a new thread,Doing the same brake upgrade.

Any suggestions on the best method(tools) to trim the rear shields?