Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help please! Voltage Dropping Issue

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
A voltage drop issue can be due to a mechanical problem if the harmonic balancer is slipping on its mount and not driving the alternator belt properly.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
A voltage drop issue can be due to a mechanical problem if the harmonic balancer is slipping on its mount and not driving the alternator belt properly.
So why was the dash reading 13v at idle while the battery was over 14v? that suggests it's an issue between the fuse box and the interior. Likley to do with the aftermarket stuff.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
So why was the dash reading 13v at idle while the battery was over 14v? that suggests it's an issue between the fuse box and the interior. Likley to do with the aftermarket stuff.

Just something worth checking.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I agree that if the battery is 14 volts and the dash is 13 volts than the problem lies in the wiring between the 2.

I'd start with the old relays. Each time a relay opens/closes you get a small arc. The arcing slowly burns the contacts which with age pit the contact surface areas and reduce the contact area and causes trouble.

MPA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
It's a pretty tight fit so I don't think it's a loose connection.

I removed the relay for the blower and I was able to drive 30mins on the Highway and then later home again with no issues whatsoever. So I think that narrows it down a lot right?

Return drive I had headlights and highbeam going so a new power draw and still no issue.

I'll replace the Relay but I used my last spare on the Engine Cont Relay so I will have to track down some more. Not sure if I want to go wreckers or new....

EDIT: I missed that there was a second page to the thread now. I'll use that feedback. Sorry.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Is anything wired off the blower circuit? when you removed the relay does all your aftermarket stuff work?

MPA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
I'm going to try and trace all the wiring from the blower circuit tomorrow. As far as I currently know nothing should be wired from it but I'm the last in a line of owners so who knows.

As far as I have experienced everything else works perfectly while the relay is out and the dash and battery terminal readings of the voltage start to match.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
This should help.

Attachments

• 10a.pdf
    331.3 KB · Views: 237

MPA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Sorry for the super delayed responses. I've had to wait until each weekend to really get anything done.

Over the weekend I pulled out meters of home done wiring from a previous owner. I might know much about cars but I do know electricals and it was a goddamn mess. I bound up all and any exposed cables and areas where the protection had degraded.

It has certainly helped.
I have done a fair bit of driving now and even with the blower relay back in and using high beams I'm not getting the tacko drop out or the music.

I am getting some flickering on the illumination of the dash display on and off as well as sometimes when using the cig lighter plug to charge my phone it goes haywire. Phone heats up quickly and it's sound output begins to buzz so there is still an issue somewhere.

Engine Control Relay and Blower Relay are still getting crazy hot. I am going to supercheap later today or tomorrow to buy replacements for them.

Is there a guide to what all of the dash readouts in "Police Mode" mean? There are a number of other Voltage/Power readouts that I don't know the meaning of. vP is one of them, a reading of potential maybe?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi
I've heard that the vx cigarette lighter had problems. Need replacing.

Go to Holden for your relays.
You don't know what your getting when buying elsewhere.

Have you checked the back of engine control relay & blower relay, to see if all terminals are clean & tight?