Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden halts production of Commodore and Equinox

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Lastly, Mitsubishi, Ford and Toyota execs know what they are doing....GM execs either through a toxic culture or sheer incompetence have been asleep at the wheel for the past decade and they need a clean out. In line with Skylarking's comments, they don't know what they are doing.

Mate,i think that's the problem,no long term Exec's,they don't stay in any one job for long,the Co. seems to be in a permanent state of Flux since Obama cleaned out the Board after the GFC.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I actually don’t think the vast majority of Australian buyers care about all that; JC isn’t exactly an unbiased cross-section of society. :)

However, I think with Commodore the reputation Holden has for quality (or lack thereof) means most people are going to buy an Accord or Camry in the Commodore’s class. I’ll bet they’re not selling as few as Ford are Mondeos ... and Ford didn’t try calling the Mondeo a Falcon.

Equinox is damned ugly.

Astra is Golf money ... I thought it was supposed to be Golf quality too, now I’ve driven one it’s closer to Cruze. So they ain’t competing there.

Everything else is terrible except maybe Colorado (which is terrible - but that entire class is terrible so at least it’s competitive).

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
...Everything else is terrible except maybe Colorado (which is terrible - but that entire class is terrible so at least it’s competitive).
:cool:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Everything else is terrible except maybe Colorado (which is terrible - but that entire class is terrible so at least it’s competitive).

I like my colorado for all the offroad things and towing its just a bit crap on the road cruising.

The wife has had the barina, cruze and trax and all of them were crap.
I have never tried a captiva or a captivinox and the arcadia is a mash between the captiva and zb platforms so im not sure thats going to be ideal.

It just seems that holdens latest lineup is just boring, they innovate like todays iphone...

Lots of issues, behind the competition while removing features and offering a bland/boring range that look ugly af

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Astra is Golf money ... I thought it was supposed to be Golf quality too, now I’ve driven one it’s closer to Cruze. So they ain’t competing there.

Correct astra is very average, got a demo Everest for a few weeks and that's worse than misses prado( thanktgod pre dfp crap)and there average ( great on highway trips)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Heron White. That's a damned good summation of what is behind the failure of the Holden brand. It was always going to be extra hard for Holden to maintain its market presence once local production ceased. After all, Holden was the company that really kicked off the sense of confidence in our secondary industrial capacity after the war. It started amidst an incredible sense of national pride that is a bit difficult to understand these days, but it was "Australia's Own Car", built by Australians for Australians and that national identuty carried it for over forty years.
Ford were here earlier but only as an assembler, whereas GMH had been designing and building local bodies for years before the Holden. Chrysler, Ford and the Japs started local production long after GMH and were never identified as local in the same way, though they all made cars specifically intended for our market.
Regrettably, that national pride has diminished over the years, partly because of dreadful product decisions by GM, and the bean counters in New York or Detroit have never appreciated its importance to the Holden brand. And they probably never will.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Regrettably, that national pride has diminished over the years, partly because of dreadful.....

Social justice warriors who keep telling us that it is bad to be Australian, particularly if you are male & white.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Social justice warriors who keep telling us that it is bad to be Australian, particularly if you are male & white.
That, definitely that. Plus those who whine about SJW’s. Which I think I just did.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Hopefully this vehicle helps Holden