Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden halts production of Commodore and Equinox

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Trying to introduce another small SUV in a market trying to compete with the increasingly popular Mitsubishis, is a tough challenge. At least in Tas Mitsi seem to have the largest market share of any type of this vehicle. The Outlander is everywhere as is the ASX, which IMO they shouldn't really call it an SUV but they market it as such.
People are only buying ASX’s and Outlanders because they’re dirt cheap. They’re awful things to drive, even for an SUV.

Acadia isn’t that small though, it’s a 7-seater & with a reasonable amount of room. I believe it’s Insignia based, so it’s going to be about Kluger sized (those being a topsy-turvy Camry). It’s a very popular class of vehicle; yeah, the buyers may be misinformed at best & morons at worst, but they’re buyers who’ll pay.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
People are only buying ASX’s and Outlanders because they’re dirt cheap. They’re awful things to drive, even for an SUV.
I suggest you get a new source for car reviews Forg. ;)Interesting you say that because I drive the wife's Outlander a few times a week and it drives really well. I can't speak for the ASX but the mother in law hasn't had any drive issues that she has told me and we all drive on Tassie roads daily. So far it has been a really decent car. It has 65k on it and we are still on the original tyres.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I don’t remember any Viva ads, but I vaguely remember an equally crap Vauxhall Viva from Holden in the mid 20th century.

I just looked at that Arcadia advert, it appears to be some sort of bogan advert to inspire Holden bogans to look past a bogan Commodore.
Goodonya Holden …… you have Aussiefied another Yank advert ?? (Hot dogs, baseball, applepie and Chevrolet.)

But on a more serious note, Ford fans are still lamenting the loss of the Territory, a brilliantly designed vehicle, let down by cheap, penny pinching engineering in a lot of places. None of Fords current offerings have replaced it. If they can look past their blue tinted glasses, this could be it ?
The Arcadia has the electronic aids and bells, but the Territory has useable features that are not replicated ….. split tailgate, adjustable pedal box, 3rd row access from the passenger side, and spare wheel that does not involve unloading the back area to find a space saver.
But would I consider trading my Territory for an Arcadia ? At present, no way.

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
More and more ads these days are about the brand rather than the product.

Doesn't make a great deal of sense to me, but what would I know.....I'm only a consumer.
Because most consumers don't know anything about cars anyway. It's why 4x4's are so popular yet the most off-roading they do is getting in and out of their driveway. These consumers don't care or want to know how it works, as long as it fits their needs. Want safety? Oh that car is big and has good safety rating, I'll get it. Want something economical? That car has good mileage I'll get it.

Why waste your precious ad time explaining what the car does when most people don't care.

Don't believe me? Go ask your coworkers why they bought their car.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Its a bit of a wank the SUV badge they stick on so many vehicles now. I used to be into serious offroad and no way could these modern SUVs get through the tracks i used to drive on.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Because most consumers don't know anything about cars anyway. It's why 4x4's are so popular yet the most off-roading they do is getting in and out of their driveway. These consumers don't care or want to know how it works, as long as it fits their needs. Want safety? Oh that car is big and has good safety rating, I'll get it. Want something economical? That car has good mileage I'll get it.

Why waste your precious ad time explaining what the car does when most people don't care.

Don't believe me? Go ask your coworkers why they bought their car.

Agree.

I was referring to ads in general, irrespective of the product, whether it be a drink, AV gear or any other mass consumed consumer item. It is now more about a lifestyle/social media image than the item itself.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I suggest you get a new source for car reviews Forg. ;)Interesting you say that because I drive the wife's Outlander a few times a week and it drives really well. I can't speak for the ASX but the mother in law hasn't had any drive issues that she has told me and we all drive on Tassie roads daily. So far it has been a really decent car. It has 65k on it and we are still on the original tyres.
I drove an ASX hire car around Melbourne for a few days. It was woeful. The CVT was a shocker.

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
I drove an ASX hire car around Melbourne for a few days. It was woeful. The CVT was a shocker.

I agree. I have had an ASX hire car coming on 6 weeks now while my car is getting repaired. I find the thing gutless, constantly searching for the right gears and thirsty for the size of car it is. Sadly my wife likes it as she sits up high in it (like all SUVs). But that is the only thing she likes about it.

Mik 030

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V LS3 series 2 wagon
Regarding vehicle advertising, the most important feature is the connectivity to devices. You see lots of happy bluetoothy smiles. That is about it.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Regarding vehicle advertising, the most important feature is the connectivity to devices. You see lots of happy bluetoothy smiles. That is about it.

If its the colorado then its all about beating the goat up the hill before the engine breaks down lol