Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden testing facelifted VE/VF Commodore

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Reaper

I suspect the reason "A" roof pillars have grown to be so thick is because of the angle they are now laid back at. In earlier models, where the pillars were more upright, they were able to provide the necessary strength to support the roof in rollovers because they were at a more suitable angle to withstand the stresses involved.

As the windscreens have been laid back further and further for aerodynamics and to reduce fuel consumption, thin pillars would not be able to maintain the necessary strength and rollover resistance, hence they are thickened to enable the modern vehicles to meet ADR's and other safety regs whereever the cars are marketed.

The HQ had the thinnest "A" pillars of any mass produced four door sedan in the world at the time of its introduction, because GMH designed it to comply with new "field of vision" regulations which were supposed to be introduced sometime after it was released. Those regs didn't eventuate during the lifetime of the HQ-HZ - it's obvious from the pillars on the VE that they never eventuated!

By comparison with the VE, the HQ pillars are almost upright. Obviously, at that angle, they could be thin, provide good vision for the driver and still provide the necessary structural rigidity. Bloody shame the new cars can't have pillars that slender, isn't it?

And on the comments you made regarding the poor three quarter visibility, I seem to recall a certain Cousin on this forum who was adamant that there were no blind spots on the VE and that all you had to do was use your mirrors and move your head. Yeah, like one of those parcel shelf nodding dogs!

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
This is really interesting but why are spy pics always out of focus?

So when photos are taken they're usually a fair distance away and low and behold zooms arn't great when the vehicles are so far away from the cameras allowed area.

I saved the first pic to PC and checked the details; that photo was taken at only 67mm, whoever had the camera either was quite close, or extrapolated the photo out digitally. It's shot at only 1/100sec, so it would be blurry without image stabiliser, and it's aperture is only f3.5 so the depth of field wouldn't be very large. All in all, this shot seems to have been taken in twilight, hand held at only 1/100sec and then possibly digitally enlarged.

Can't say much for other situations, but this one was just poor lighting :p

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
There are still a few LHD G8's getting around. NFI why since it has been discontinued but does add petrol to the fire of rumors about a return to USA at some stage.

Reaper

well i know tommo82 on here as been driving the LHD recently, for the work on the police cars

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Reaper

I suspect the reason "A" roof pillars have grown to be so thick is because of the angle they are now laid back at. In earlier models, where the pillars were more upright, they were able to provide the necessary strength to support the roof in rollovers because they were at a more suitable angle to withstand the stresses involved.

As the windscreens have been laid back further and further for aerodynamics and to reduce fuel consumption, thin pillars would not be able to maintain the necessary strength and rollover resistance, hence they are thickened to enable the modern vehicles to meet ADR's and other safety regs whereever the cars are marketed.

For sure that's got a lot to do with it. They are dimensionally much larger these days than ever before. The other bit that affects things is that it is indeed much closer to the drivers eye near the top. My VE one is not far infront of my eyes at all where it meets the roof.

The HQ had the thinnest "A" pillars of any mass produced four door sedan in the world at the time of its introduction, because GMH designed it to comply with new "field of vision" regulations which were supposed to be introduced sometime after it was released. Those regs didn't eventuate during the lifetime of the HQ-HZ - it's obvious from the pillars on the VE that they never eventuated!

By comparison with the VE, the HQ pillars are almost upright. Obviously, at that angle, they could be thin, provide good vision for the driver and still provide the necessary structural rigidity. Bloody shame the new cars can't have pillars that slender, isn't it?

It has a bit to do with glass technology and GM's policies of the day too. Till the late 70's GM had a mandate regulating the rake of the windscreens.

And on the comments you made regarding the poor three quarter visibility, I seem to recall a certain Cousin on this forum who was adamant that there were no blind spots on the VE and that all you had to do was use your mirrors and move your head. Yeah, like one of those parcel shelf nodding dogs!

Yeah well that certain Cousin isn't about any more and if he can reverse my trailer with no blind spot he is either elastic man or has invented a new branch of physics or both.

Reaper

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Who else can't pick the difference between those pics and a current VE? :confused:

There'd wanna be something pretty dramatic under that car bra...

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Wouldn't be suprised if they went with the Pontiac G8 style front end.

08_Pontiac_G8_frtang_cad_430.jpg

GM invested in those pontiac designs and now that all that has fallen through in the USA it would have sense to try and recoop costs by using those parts here.

White Tiger

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VY Berlina, RB30 GQ Patrol
Wouldn't be suprised if they went with the Pontiac G8 style front end.

08_Pontiac_G8_frtang_cad_430.jpg

GM invested in those pontiac designs and now that all that has fallen through in the USA it would have sense to try and recoop costs by using those parts here.

well at least it would look different to all the other new cars on the road:whistling

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Who else can't pick the difference between those pics and a current VE? :confused:

There'd wanna be something pretty dramatic under that car bra...

The only significant thing that MIGHT be changed is the A pillar profile. And it needs to be changed as part of the model update, although it would be expensive to do.

PhantomSV6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
If the VF has nostrils i'll be pretty disappointed.

Anyway...What i want to see is a revised interior, improved a-pillar and a revised front end.

The 4 cylinder turbo engine is pretty big news for the Commodore. It will be interesting to see how much power it outputs.

Can't really gauge too much from those shots but the anticipation is killing me.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Well, we know the G8 facia is out for the updated model anyway. So the actual external changes, which will be restricted to nose and tail, new wheels and MAYBE the A pillars, are still a mystery.