Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden warranty coverage + Recall question

dimsimnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Z SERIES
Is a timing chain a serviceable item, no.
Should it last forever, no.
If it is a known issue like you say, why did you buy that make and model?
FG falcon diff bushes are a known problem, after the warranty period stiff ****.

if you drive subaru and are a bank clerk, its unlikely you'll know about a design or recall issue affecting a late model holden - more so if gm/holden don't do anything about it!

poor old bank clerk will only discover this after "upgrading" to a fantastic aussie stead and one cold morning on the way to work experiences the check engine light and shortly after the prospect of a $3k bill.

no one in their right mind unless they have the skills/resources/inclination to repair would buy a secondhand vehicle knowing that it was poorly designed and destined to fail then cost a significant amount of money to repair.

not everyone here is a gm/holden master technician... im sure a fair proportion are non-mechanically minded vehicle enthusiasts who are simply looking for a little help and advice rather than "spose you expect them to pay for tyres too..." and "why did you buy it if its a known issue" The reluctance expressed in a lot of these comments could lead you to believe that the forum is run by holden themselves.

regardless of the age of the vehicle, if a well serviced engine has travelled 90/100/150k's and the timing chain is stretched because some numpty decided to use a poorer quality chain, holden should man the #### up and fix it. not hide in the shadows like a mugger, then as poor bank clerk comes along, rip him $1.5k parts that can be bought in the US and shipped to this side of the world for a 1/4 of the cost then also kick him in the nuts with another $1.5k for the privilege of repairing their own #### up.

if you cant understand that then i guess well just have to agree to disagree.

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
I got lucky and my model was close but not one of the affected engines, in saying that shouldn't have to be worried, if they tested their cars extensively it should have been picked up. Don't just test the car when

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
The reluctance expressed in a lot of these comments could lead you to believe that the forum is run by holden themselves.

Nope, it's just full of people with a realistic outlook on the world.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
*reads* tolerates poor quality and service levels

*Sigh*

How on earth is it poor service to expect somebody to pay for repairs to a car going on 7 years old? Other examples people have made of "known problems" that other cars and even manufacturers have have been ignored by you. Any answer for why those are reasonable yet this is not?

I've got an XBOX 360 that i still use daily. Hasnt red ringed on me yet, but going by your logic, i can call Microsoft up and reasonably expect them to fix it or replace it because it's a known issue and very well documented when/if it does happen.

Get your head out of the clouds.

dimsimnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Z SERIES
*Sigh*

How on earth is it poor service to expect somebody to pay for repairs to a car going on 7 years old? Other examples people have made of "known problems" that other cars and even manufacturers have have been ignored by you. Any answer for why those are reasonable yet this is not?

I've got an XBOX 360 that i still use daily. Hasnt red ringed on me yet, but going by your logic, i can call Microsoft up and reasonably expect them to fix it or replace it because it's a known issue and very well documented when/if it does happen.

Get your head out of the clouds.

if you are gaming daily, then it likely that you're the one with a head in the clouds.

we're not talking about other manufactures or ####ing xboxes (although these would come under the acceptable quality law below) - were talking about one specific problem relating to a timing chain that was poorly specified at time of manufacture.

consumer law - school yourself up on the concept of acceptable quality or stop giving people advice. http://www.consumerlaw.gov.au/content/the_acl/downloads/consumer_guarantees_guide.pdf

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
if you are gaming daily, then it likely that you're the one with a head in the clouds.

we're not talking about other manufactures or ####ing xboxes (although these would come under the acceptable quality law below) - were talking about one specific problem relating to a timing chain that was poorly specified at time of manufacture.

consumer law - school yourself up on the concept of acceptable quality or stop giving people advice. http://www.consumerlaw.gov.au/content/the_acl/downloads/consumer_guarantees_guide.pdf
Riiight.

So if that was in anyway relevant then nobody would have had to pay would they? People have tried, kicked up a stink and in some cases they've had a partial win with Holden coming to the party for a portion of the repairs. But for the most part, these problems, out of warranty have been an owner issue.

My advice it would appear is alot more "real world" than your ability to pluck some link that you think is right out of thin air.

dimsimnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Z SERIES
Riiight.

So if that was in anyway relevant then nobody would have had to pay would they? People have tried, kicked up a stink and in some cases they've had a partial win with Holden coming to the party for a portion of the repairs. But for the most part, these problems, out of warranty have been an owner issue.

My advice it would appear is alot more "real world" than your ability to pluck some link that you think is right out of thin air.

holden paid for mine in full - 5years and 90'ks.