Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holdens Bathurst ****-up

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
its becoming too americanised, but you want bigger engines and 400 metre tracks to keep you entertained? thats a very american way of thinking

Oh, is it really?
Wasn't so long ago, there was talk of a control vehicle body in V8 supercars, that's not looking like NASCAR at all, is it?....
At least australian drag racers can use a bit of ingenuity with their chosen car, engine combo, driveline....you can be individual while fitting in to a certain class...i understand it gets more restrictive doorslammer up, but that's to be expected. And so what if I want to run big cubes? I'll be first to admit it was built in the states, but we're a bit hard up for choice as far as aussie manufacturers go if you want to run 9-odd litre engine...

Run "V8 Supercars" how it should be, off the showroom floor with minimal mods. The people buying their HSV's and FPV's in the future will be all the more thankful for it.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
As sad as it is I have pretty much lost all interest in the V8's and that sadly also includes Bathurst, I just don't find it good to watch anymore and will settle for the minute on the news.

From what I heard from a couple of people so far the start was once again ford should be called 'the untouchables' they rarely cop anything and can do no wrong.

Yep, last time I watched Bathurst for the whole distance was around 1998.

The cars are virtually identical underneath, so it renders the whole race pretty boring. Sure, drivers skills come into play more, but there is still a whole lot less passing and exciting moments than in Group A.

Besides, knowing that V8 Supercars was a result of a case of sour grapes takes a lot of the gloss off it for me.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
Oh, is it really?
Wasn't so long ago, there was talk of a control vehicle body in V8 supercars, that's not looking like NASCAR at all, is it?....
At least australian drag racers can use a bit of ingenuity with their chosen car, engine combo, driveline....you can be individual while fitting in to a certain class...i understand it gets more restrictive doorslammer up, but that's to be expected. And so what if I want to run big cubes? I'll be first to admit it was built in the states, but we're a bit hard up for choice as far as aussie manufacturers go if you want to run 9-odd litre engine...

Run "V8 Supercars" how it should be, off the showroom floor with minimal mods. The people buying their HSV's and FPV's in the future will be all the more thankful for it.

drag racing and v8 supercars are two different types of racing. ford and holden supercars are pretty much the same underneath. im not following you.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Also on the rant of V8Supercars.

In an interview Craig Lowndes said he is on his 12th Chassis for the season. Thats just stupid not all teams could afford to that. They should have a limit of how many they are allowed a season. Maybe if the ****wank stopped running into people so he can win he wouldnt need a new chassis every race.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
drag racing and v8 supercars are two different types of racing. ford and holden supercars are pretty much the same underneath. im not following you.

In my first post, I commented on how I believe V8 Supercars are following NASCAR in their ways of parity, with what is a control item etc....you had a shot at me because you believe drag racing in australia is following american trends just as much, then I explained how you can be an individual with your car in some classes of drag racing and that V8 supercars should be exactly that, with showroom models taking to the track, not a parity controlled go-kart with a ford or holden sticker on it to tell the difference. I was not comparing a drag car to a V8 supercar on ground level and I am intelligent enough to work out that they are two totally different categories of racing.
But I think your quote above pretty much sums up what I was trying to say.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Also on the rant of V8Supercars.

In an interview Craig Lowndes said he is on his 12th Chassis for the season. Thats just stupid not all teams could afford to that. They should have a limit of how many they are allowed a season. Maybe if the ****wank stopped running into people so he can win he wouldnt need a new chassis every race.

I thought there was a rule for this or maybe I'm getting it confused with something I heard to do with F1. You are right, I think there has to be a cap in expenditures in all forms of motorsport.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Yeah, but that still won't help until the corruption among the officials is sorted out.

Am I accusing them?? YOU BET I AM!!!

It's not just "a Holden thing"... It's bloody Triple 8 racing! They pinged Luff (in the DJR car) for doing the same thing to Baird (I think?) in the second HRT car - HE got a drive-through, but not dear Craigie. It's been happening all season, as it was last year. They pinged Garth for a jumped start - didn't they feel he'd been disadvantaged enough? (and maybe if they didn't hold them at the line for 20 minutes the clutch wouldn't have fried - again!) Then of course they pinged Dumbrell for being past the control line without a helmet, or being one too many over the control line, whatever the hell they came up with.... Pedantic crap, but they let Lowndes get away with his biff-n-barge as usual.

So go ahead you blue oval box-heads - gloat away. (they've already been at me today at work... ;) ) Definitely a win based on the superior car, drivers, and tactics. NOT!!!

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
The V8 Supercars have pretty much nothing in common with any road going Ford or Holden
oh trust me I know, I work with an ex V8 Supecar mechanic so if anything I hear enough from him about it, but my point exactly, for cars that are nothing like the road car at all have you ever noticed how Holdens road car problems also happen to the race car lol :p

Lowndes came right across and smacked Murph off the track and didn't even cop a bloody penalty.

Tander's clutch goes and he gets a 10 second penalty?
Craig Baird was holding up Steven Richards mid race and the first thing they saud was "blue flags, blue flags" to get him to move. Steven richards holds up Murph 10 laps from the end and nothing is said or done?

Dick Johnson was asked about whether he'd switch to Holden when when Ford announced they wont be supporting anyone bar 4 cars next year, and his response was "their the same car anyway, might be a slight struggle to fit a new body shell on but it'd fit ... everything else is the same" and he's pretty much right. Before I get corrected, the point he was making is Holden or Ford body shell its the same damn thing these days.

I liked the Bathurst 12 hour this year, at least they were real cars! One of the SS's had a clutch fail almost immediately, not slip like Tanders, but FAIL, the Sportwagon had brake failure (anyone whose driven their Commodore hard couldve told them to expect that), the other SS had a rear diff fail, the LS1 and LS2 Clubbys needed to stop every 2nd lap after 4 hours for oil top ups :thumbsup:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
just seen the deliberate hit from lowndes on murph on lap one. that would have been a drive through penalty for any other driver.

it has been suggested a nascar style setup for the future in V8supercars, this was in responce to the death of a driver last year from memory. would completly kill the sport i think. it needs to go back to grp A or C rules really. there are to many control parts on the cars these days. diffs/brakes/trans/ engine management etc. not only that but then that stupid parity testing where they basically forced holden to change the wheel track and engine offset etc so it's not even realy a VE anymore. jsut a VE body on last years chassis. didn't want holden to have an advantage:bang:

the falcon will be out soon. no doubt it's goingto be quicker again. no point watching it next year me thinks

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Wow, I wonder if the makes were reversed would the Ford forums be sooking as much as you lot are? Far out, get over it! Who gives a rats arse what make wins, they are more or less the same anyway!

Anyway, I am glad to see Lowndes/Whinchup take it out for 3 years in a row and I am also glad to see that Skaife, Kelly and Tander had such a pathetic run (again). I don't support Holden and I don't support Ford, I support the drivers who I like.