Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HORRIBLE bashing noise from rear end. DIFF?

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
If you don’t know the difference it won’t bother you to get you up and running again. The LSD is supposed to give you better drive to both wheels when under load. I have found that Holden LSD diffs work better when dismantled and re-shimmed ( more cost).
Take up the offer earlier in the thread, get the mechanics to fit it, and drive away.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have a semi LSD in the ute..... It has all the internals but barely works. Would have been better if the BW diffs were made with a clutch type diff, IMO. I can have it repaired for 500 bucks as the tech won't just shim it, he only wants to do full rebuild. TBH i don't need it most of the time. Although it would be handy on the gravel i drive on twice a week or when there is ice on the road, which is fairly rare.

Danc91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Thunder
Always a gamble buying used anything! Unless you absolutely know the history of course.
Hey I'm trying to start a private conversation but it's coming up with an error and not allowing me to. Was gonna say I think I'm working in the area again tomorrow but unsure when I'll be back after tomorrow so was gonna see if you're in the area tomorrow if I decide to go your option? Cheers. I'm gonna make a few phone calls tomorrow and hopefully come up with a decision

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Hey I'm trying to start a private conversation but it's coming up with an error and not allowing me to. Was gonna say I think I'm working in the area again tomorrow but unsure when I'll be back after tomorrow so was gonna see if you're in the area tomorrow if I decide to go your option? Cheers. I'm gonna make a few phone calls tomorrow and hopefully come up with a decision

Hey Dan, if you want to get your diff rebuilt, I have a spare 3.27 non LSD diff you can borrow whilst yours is getting fixed.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I tried starting one too. Not sure if it worked, but it looked like it did.

Danc91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Thunder
Ok so I ended up just buying the brand new 2.92 one from holmart as I felt it was a decent price and 12 months part warranty. Not interested in changing ratios and tunes at this stage so I should be able to just walk away now knowing ther will be a brand new one fitted and shouldn't have another problem again. Still over 2 grand to fix a car ive had for a month is as rough as it gets but just gotta suck it up and hope there's nothing else and move on.. thanks all for the offers and advice. I hate cars lol..