Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How long did your brakes last ?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Just curious what life is everyone getting out of their brake pads.

I just clocked 30 000km and the front pads are down to 4-5mm and should be replaced soon according to holden.

I thought they should last a lot longer than that.

The pads are factory hp1000 compound...
Same as stock brembo brake pads...

What are you getting out of your brakes ?

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
I’ve just gone 60k and last service was told brakes are fine and should get at least another 20 thousand. I don’t drive them hard though

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
My front pad just finished on my redline , literally, at 58500Km . Front left is on bare metal damaging the disk. The rears are about to go. I got the wagon which has the boot full of spare parts and tools from work.

I am replacing all rotors and pads next week.

On my last service at 45k , Holden told me the pads need replacing and rotors needed machining and the quote was close to 1000 if I remember well. I told them don’t worry.

I just bought four DBA T3 slotted for 380 a pair and bendix ultimate pad. I will have a go replacing it myself , just need to buy a dial indicator to measure runout.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
On my last service at 45k , Holden told me the pads need replacing and rotors needed machining and the quote was close to 1000 if I remember well. I told them don’t worry.

Are they for real??

Sure that wasn't a quote for new rotors rather than machining?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I'm hard on brakes. So mine wear quickly. My Redline has 79,600 on the clock and has worn out 3 sets of fronts (nearly 4) and 2 rears. Still on my first set of T3's but.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Around 60k on A1RM/T3 in an auto using engine braking all the time. So maybe half that if I drove in auto. Daniel Souza, I'm now on Ultimates and new T3's and I'd like to say don't believe everything you read on the internet, but in regards to Bendix Ultimate's and brake dust, it's all true! Invest in good wheel cleaner and elbow grease.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Different car, I know, but our 2015 auto Captiva, with 85k on the clock, still has all the original pads. They shed no dust and are quiet in operation. I have no idea what the factory compound is but it certainly gives decent performance and excellent durability.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Generally get around 20,000 from a set fronts, rear maybe 15,000 a set on my old vs. Just depends how you drive it.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Okay. I ll most likely get another 5 to 10 thousand out of them so thats not too bad.

I am unsure if I should machine the rotors or just throw on a new set of pads.
The rotors dont have any deep grooves...only minor lip...like 1/2 mm.

Also have a new set of DBA T3 so I dont care what happens to the stock rotors if I just throw on a new set of pads without machining...

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Okay. I ll most likely get another 5 to 10 thousand out of them so thats not too bad.

I am unsure if I should machine the rotors or just throw on a new set of pads.
The rotors dont have any deep grooves...only minor lip...like 1/2 mm.

Also have a new set of DBA T3 so I dont care what happens to the stock rotors if I just throw on a new set of pads without machining...
Machine them Ron. Your brakes will work far better.