Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much faster than stock is this Calais v 6.0

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
muso, how long since you were here? I have been here all my life. Love it.

I know it's off topic but I was in Mt Gambier in the late 1960's and took my kids down there last year, lovely place, my dad used to manage the ABC station down there.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
You said you didnt want to regret a performance drop. If you arent going to race it then times dont matter..

Go and drive a Calais in the way you drive the Ford. If you like it, buy it. If you don't, dont. Performance is a very subjective thing when you are sitting inside the car.

What I guess I'm saying is that I have been spoilt by the power/flexibility/torque spread of the ford in day to day driving so I would have to get used to the different more linear power delivery of the 6.0 Calais, as you said driving a few is a good idea other wise it's like learning to swim on dry land :)

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
Just throwing it out there, it was a rolling start in the vid.

yeah had a gopro in the front of my Kia when a stooge in a fat arse xr6t honks beside me. Unfortunately with the camera pointing forwards there was no vision to be seen of the ford - smoked him.

$ for $, your turbo will eat the Commy for breakfast. V8 will be quicker off the line, but a few lengths out, the turbo will just dissapear into the distance. Do you have a VX as well??

LOL....love my turbo. Just got the Kia atm.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah had a gopro in the front of my Kia when a stooge in a fat arse xr6t honks beside me. Unfortunately with the camera pointing forwards there was no vision to be seen of the ford - smoked him.

LOL....love my turbo. Just got the Kia atm.

What the??????

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
What the??????

He's just a fully sic racer.

Back on topic, the calais will be a nice, cruisey ride. Make a build thread when you get it, cause i have the feeling you're gonna do some fun stuff to it ;)

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Here is my 2c (Take it or leave it kind of thing).
This is my personal experience, and there is a 99% chance that none of this will apply to anyone here.

I consider myself a Ford guy (I started Fordmods), and I have worked on a lot of Fords, and I currently own a VE CalaisV V8.
(So I dont consider myself biased for or against either brand).
My father currently owns a G6E (Non Turbo), and has owned Fords most of his adult life (EA, EF, BA).

Firstly, the BA XR6T, is it a Manual or Auto ?
(Reason why I am asking is that the BTR / ION 4 speed auto boxes are terrible, the VE V8s get the 6 speed Auto boxes, which means its easier to keep the engine in its sweet spot when shifting).
If you have the manual 6 speed, then this goes out the window of course.

Now comparing the FG G6E Turbo to the VE CalaisV V8, here is what I found,
Pros for the FG..
1) The Interior (For me anyway) was much more ergonomic and comfortable than the CalaisV. This is still the case after 2 years of CalaisV ownership.
Things like the centre and door arm rest position, seating position, rear vision, are much more comfortable than the sportier inclined VE.
(Hey I own a CalaisV, I do expect some comfort !)
2) The ZF 6 speed in the FG is much better than the GM 6 Speed Auto. Much smoother, and does not hunt around gears at low speeds as much as the VE.
3) The I6 Turbo is cheaper to mod than the VE V8s. (Im a big fan of the I6, and will be very sad to see it go in the next couple of years).

Here are the cons against the FG,
1) Turbo Requires premium fuel (Not a big deal, but it does add up over time when the VE happily sips E10, or any crap that it is fed without farting, pinging, and carrying on)
2) Insurance (The FG G6E Turbo was twice as much to insure for me than the VE CalaisV V8) To give you an idea, I have declared $5000 worth of upgrades to my insurance company, and I am currently paying just under $800 a year.
3) Lack of workshop manual. (Please PLEASE someone prove me wrong here and show me WHERE I can obtain an FG workshop manual, either as a subscription service like the GM eSI website, or purchase as a DVD, hard copy, in fact ANYTHING !!!!)
This was a HUGE setback for me, as I like to work on my car myself, and without a workshop manual for these things, its impossible to do anything fun !)
4) Parts are cheaper for VEs when compared to FGs. (Examples include brake upgrades, panel and interior parts, and upgrades such as HSV bits and pieces).
Because there are a LOT more VEs out there when compared to FGs (This is not a reflection of one brand being better than the other, just stating sales figures), used parts are cheap, and consequently because of turnover, new parts are cheap also.
5) The VE CalaisV gets a lot more features than the G6E. (The G6E is a kinda inbetween Calais and CalaisV).
Extra features found on the CalaisV that are not found on the G6E include,
projector headlights, rear seat entertainment system (roof mounted DVD player), 8 way electric driver and passenger seats, rain sensing wipers, front and rear park assist (audio and visual), heated mirrors are the things that I can name off the top of my head.

In the end, it comes down to what you want the car for, how you are going to drive it, and what mods do you intend on making when you get the thing.
To be perfectly honest, you cant go wrong with either model. It just comes down to what is the better fit for what you intend to do with the car.

I hope this helps, and also gets you thinking.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
Here is my 2c (Take it or leave it kind of thing).
This is my personal experience, and there is a 99% chance that none of this will apply to anyone here.

I consider myself a Ford guy (I started Fordmods), and I have worked on a lot of Fords, and I currently own a VE CalaisV V8.
(So I dont consider myself biased for or against either brand).
My father currently owns a G6E (Non Turbo), and has owned Fords most of his adult life (EA, EF, BA).

Firstly, the BA XR6T, is it a Manual or Auto ?
(Reason why I am asking is that the BTR / ION 4 speed auto boxes are terrible, the VE V8s get the 6 speed Auto boxes, which means its easier to keep the engine in its sweet spot when shifting).
If you have the manual 6 speed, then this goes out the window of course.

Now comparing the FG G6E Turbo to the VE CalaisV V8, here is what I found,
Pros for the FG..
1) The Interior (For me anyway) was much more ergonomic and comfortable than the CalaisV. This is still the case after 2 years of CalaisV ownership.
Things like the centre and door arm rest position, seating position, rear vision, are much more comfortable than the sportier inclined VE.
(Hey I own a CalaisV, I do expect some comfort !)
2) The ZF 6 speed in the FG is much better than the GM 6 Speed Auto. Much smoother, and does not hunt around gears at low speeds as much as the VE.
3) The I6 Turbo is cheaper to mod than the VE V8s. (Im a big fan of the I6, and will be very sad to see it go in the next couple of years).

Here are the cons against the FG,
1) Turbo Requires premium fuel (Not a big deal, but it does add up over time when the VE happily sips E10, or any crap that it is fed without farting, pinging, and carrying on)
2) Insurance (The FG G6E Turbo was twice as much to insure for me than the VE CalaisV V8) To give you an idea, I have declared $5000 worth of upgrades to my insurance company, and I am currently paying just under $800 a year.
3) Lack of workshop manual. (Please PLEASE someone prove me wrong here and show me WHERE I can obtain an FG workshop manual, either as a subscription service like the GM eSI website, or purchase as a DVD, hard copy, in fact ANYTHING !!!!)
This was a HUGE setback for me, as I like to work on my car myself, and without a workshop manual for these things, its impossible to do anything fun !)
4) Parts are cheaper for VEs when compared to FGs. (Examples include brake upgrades, panel and interior parts, and upgrades such as HSV bits and pieces).
Because there are a LOT more VEs out there when compared to FGs (This is not a reflection of one brand being better than the other, just stating sales figures), used parts are cheap, and consequently because of turnover, new parts are cheap also.
5) The VE CalaisV gets a lot more features than the G6E. (The G6E is a kinda inbetween Calais and CalaisV).
Extra features found on the CalaisV that are not found on the G6E include,
projector headlights, rear seat entertainment system (roof mounted DVD player), 8 way electric driver and passenger seats, rain sensing wipers, front and rear park assist (audio and visual), heated mirrors are the things that I can name off the top of my head.

In the end, it comes down to what you want the car for, how you are going to drive it, and what mods do you intend on making when you get the thing.
To be perfectly honest, you cant go wrong with either model. It just comes down to what is the better fit for what you intend to do with the car.

I hope this helps, and also gets you thinking.

Hey thanks heaps for your informative reply, yes you do sit quite low in the Calais V don't you, my BA is the BTR 4 speed and yes it's pretty crude it's no ZF that's for sure, have you driven the G6e turbo to compare with the V8 calais?

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
No worries, I hope it helps !

Yeah, I drove the G6E turbo. (That was what I had my heart set on from the beginning).
I was originally looking at a BF Ghia (Unfortunately no turbo or V8 model, but I wasnt too fussed about that at the time),
then I had a drive of my misses sisters BF Typhoon (Stock, with the brembo brake upgrade, and ZF Auto) and was very very impressed.

So I was looking at going down that road, (As I had the workshop manual for the thing as well, so it meant that I could play around with it).
Only problem with the BF Typhoon that I saw was feature wise, it was looking a bit dated, insurance was crazy expensive ($4200 a year),
and it was hard to find one that wasn't unmolested. (There were heaps of them at the time with 400+ rwkw for less than $30,000).
Her late husband at the time said the brakes were expensive to replace (He got 30,000Kms out of them before he needed to replace rotors and pads, which set him back close to $1500 for Ford Genuine), which turned me off a little more....
Other things like the lack of stability control for the Typhoon (Which was the main reason why insurance was sooo expensive for these models) further made me think FG or VE..

So I waited a little bit longer to try and save some more coin to buy a nice used G6E Turbo.
(I took a couple for a quick drive, you know just a test drive with the dealer in the passenger seat, so there was no way to really give the thing the beans)...
Around the same time, I started looking at the CalaisV models, out of curiosity.
(I used to bag out Holdens saying that they were crazy for using a 6L V8, and that insurance for them must be ridiculous).

In the end, I purchased my current car as it was around the same price as non turbo G6Es, and was very well optioned. (V8, Sunroof, Sat-Nav, FE2, heavy duty tow kit).
In hindsight, I think I would have been just as happy with the FG, however for me personally, the workshop manual thing, and that FOMOCO USA seems hell bent on destroying Ford Aus and the Falcon (At the time, it looked like the Falcon would not live long past 2014), made me a bit weary about parts supply, resale value, and support.

(Think Mitsubishi and the crazy 380 $8000 to $12000 runout sales for new models they had when production stopped)...

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
I just sat in a VE V calais series 2 at a car yard it was very nice but the seating felt flat and low, then I got back into my old BAxrt and felt "ahh that's better" I guess it's what you are used to, the BA's seating is great until you go around a corner fast. Then I hit boost and got cemented into the driver's seat for a couple of seconds, I will miss that boost, but off boost it's just a taxi and will never sound like a 6.0 V8 :)

I don't know what is going to happen to ford when they kill off their brilliant inline 6, I heard they were going front wheel drive....certainly hope not!
Having sat in a few FG's I do prefer their seating but I'm not that tall about 5'8" in shoes LOL