Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much faster than stock is this Calais v 6.0

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
make a build thread for ur falcon car

(might have been the one I smoked a few weeks ago - is it blue?)

Yes it's Blue but not in NSW, but I do remember a fully sic Kia blowing my doors off, but it was so fast I didn't see it so it could have been you :)

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
Yes it's Blue but not in NSW, but I do remember a fully sic Kia blowing my doors off, but it was so fast I didn't see it so it could have been you :)

lets get rid of the could of been....Holden badge would be the tell.

you may need a newish car for reliability, lease....whatever, but an M5 (even an e39 at 20 odd years of age) ticks a lot of boxes as you age.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
:smoking:Zerone, whats your beef with the BTR box? I know they wont handle big power, but I find mine better to drive than the rubbish 6 speed auto Holden use. I know you can program the 6 speed, but do we need 6 gears with the modern power?

Hahaha....
The transmission guy that worked on my (and most of my friends) BTR boxes told me that there are ever only three types of BTR/ION transmission owners,
1) Ones that regularly replace their BTR Transmissions,
2) Ones that rebuild their boxes so as they no longer have to replace their BTR boxes, and
3) Ones that have converted to a manual box.

The problem is not that they cant handle big power, the problem is that most of the time they cant handle stock power outputs !
Their biggest problem is temperature. If they overheat, they fry the internal wiring, which causes solenoids to stop doing their thing, and bands to wear out very very quickly.
I had my original BTR box for 11 years, which means like yourself, I fell in to the second category. (I had a heavy duty external oil cooler fitted, an adjustable S5 solenoid (mechanical shift kit), bearings and a couple other things adjusted and upgraded.

The BTR89 was behind the 8 ball when it was introduced an the 91 EA Series III, (It wasn't released with the 88 EAs as BTR and Ford were having serious calibration issues with shift feel and quality).
The EEC-V helped with the shift feel purely through processing power (Not through any mechanical refinement),
The AUs brought about "some" of the overheating issues through the use of a much larger integrated trans oil cooler on the radiator, as well thicker walls separating the coolant from the oil to stop induced heat from the motor. (Though an external trans cooler was recommended for V8s and any Falc that was to tow a load, or was taxi / police spec).

As for BAs, the BA was/is a f@#$ing brilliant car, even despite the BTR transmission fitted...
The ZF transmission was the best thing Ford did to the BFII (Look at the difference in resale values between 4 Speed and 6 Speed BF/BFII)

I even worked for a Taxi rank in Sydney around 2003 for a few months.
They had a stock pile of old Borg Warner 3 speeds (Think XF/EA) that they were fitting to EF/EL/AU taxis, because they didnt have to replace the boxes.
At one stage because of the demand for used Borg Warner 3 speeds, they were harder and more expensive to source than reconditioned BTR93/BTR95 4 speeds.

Some more Ford History,
around the time that the BA was released, BTR demoed their 6 speed auto box to both Ford and Holden.
Ford fitted a couple to some test mules, and decided that the box was too rough, couldnt handle the Boss and XR6Ts torque, and needed too much calibration to make the thing smooth. (They were already heading down the path of testing ZF transmissions for the BFII).
Holden apparently hooked the thing up to an electric motor, gave it a few turns, then put the thing in the corner of a warehouse somewhere.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
lets get rid of the could of been....Holden badge would be the tell.

you may need a newish car for reliability, lease....whatever, but an M5 (even an e39 at 20 odd years of age) ticks a lot of boxes as you age.

Oh yes I agree the E39 M5 is very good but I like to work on my own cars and the parts would be costly, but yeah German engineering best in the World :)

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
BMW would spend most of its time in the workshop, and your bank ballance would go down quicker than the Aussie economy.
IMHO they are not as good as people think. German engineering:rofl2: Japanese have that tag thank you.

Anyway, buy a VE 6.0, and if you dont like it, go onto something else.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW would spend most of its time in the workshop, and your bank ballance would go down quicker than the Aussie economy.
IMHO they are not as good as people think. German engineering:rofl2: Japanese have that tag thank you.

Anyway, buy a VE 6.0, and if you dont like it, go onto something else.

I agree Ian, I'd rather support our local companies who's cars are these days quite good FOR THE MONEY , I do like German cars but the parts and servicing would put me off :)

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
Clearly my German experiences are different to other peoples........whatever........priced a LS PCV lately......anyhoo......my point is more about why a perfectly good turbo (with cash spent on it) is being dumped. The WHY is your tell. It is often that in your mind you do not think that your car is good enough, or fast enough, or powerful enough, or low enough, or sounds tough enough....etc. That mental chase is quite hard to overcome (and it gets expensive).

btw, for similar $$ that I would lose in a years depreciation on a GTS I could purchase a 200+KW 1300ish kilo M3. Might be 20 years old but at the end of the year I still have an M3. Your depreciation is now gone.

Depends on the WHY you are doing it.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
Clearly my German experiences are different to other peoples........whatever........priced a LS PCV lately......anyhoo......my point is more about why a perfectly good turbo (with cash spent on it) is being dumped. The WHY is your tell. It is often that in your mind you do not think that your car is good enough, or fast enough, or powerful enough, or low enough, or sounds tough enough....etc. That mental chase is quite hard to overcome (and it gets expensive).

btw, for similar $$ that I would lose in a years depreciation on a GTS I could purchase a 200+KW 1300ish kilo M3. Might be 20 years old but at the end of the year I still have an M3. Your depreciation is now gone.

Depends on the WHY you are doing it.

The car is now quite old approaching 200,000 km's and I am looking at updating anyway, being so impressed with the BA XR6T the obvious choice is an FG XR6T or G6ET (G6ET is probably the best Aussie car made) but I have never owned a V8 and just like my car I'm getting older to.
But keeping my car also makes sense, it's Liquid injection LP Gas makes 270 rwkw's and is faster than anyone really needs on a public road and it's $30.00 per week to run.
Problem I really like the VE Calais V one of the best looking Aussie cars ever made and one in my driveway would be nice (along with that V8 presence) If it were not a matter of money and space I'd keep my Ford and get a Calais V as well, if my partner drove I'd do that but I'm the only person in my house who drives and keeping two cars on the road is impractical and expensive and takes up space.

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
Yep 2 cars is expensive. 2 rego. 2 insurance. I only have 2 cars. My son has 3. But you only live once. Buy what you want and what makes you happy but don't let it send you broke. Get the Calais.