Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how much to tune a ssv manual?

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
What I'm saying is that no one refers to the factory calibration as a 'MAF Tune'. It would be like buying a Barina and telling everyone it is MAF tuned, when it was simply calibrated that way from factory.

And your concept of how the various sensors interact is quite funny. You do realize that sensors work within their programmed tolerance, without the tolerance being changed to cater for the increased airflow or o2 sensor range the car will only adjust to the maximum that it is programmed for.

Manufacturers aren't going to program for every scenario possible under the planet. They look at the equipment they fitted and program accordingly, they don't waste time programming for something that you don't intend to happen.

Feel free to think what you think

Do you realise that you can't program sensors, you can program computers though, tell me when YOU program a sensor where is the memory stored within that sensor.if readings came back outside of the computers programmed parameters wouldn't a Check Engine warning display come up? Sorry, I'm sick of explaining to idiots so believe whatever you want and ignore the truth. Mr Airstrike will get a shock when Active reply, it seems he knows more about MY car and its history than i do and isnt afraid to sprout it on here.I will let him then admit he's wrong and knows nothing about tune or RECALIBRATIONS AS Sick6 the pro refers to them but then again I doubt whether he will man up and admit he was wrong.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Why do people get a tune then and not a recalibration? Where did you get yours recalibrated?
Calibration/calibrated = stock settings
Tune = new settings/aftermarket
Don't hear of many people removing aftermarket gear and going back to the stock calibration.

Also I think with his 400rkw G6ET Airstrike knows a fair bit about tunes funnily enough.

Surely this thread has run its course after this by now

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
Do you realise that you can't program sensors, you can program computers though, tell me when YOU program a sensor where is the memory stored within that sensor.

I understand how sensors work, it was covered in my 1st year of Electronics study years ago.

if readings came back outside of the computers programmed parameters wouldn't a Check Engine warning display come up?

A reading outside the default doesn't always result in a check sensor if it doesn't consider it a fault, it may consider everything above a certain reading ok, the tuner may adjust this to have a better effect. Ie lowering the value that causes the thermo fan to kick in an attempt to reduce engine bay temps. Either way believe what you want.

I apologize to the OP for this getting away from your question.

Out if curiosity why a piggy back set up? Would a normal flash tune be suitable or do you want the ability to switch between the two?

Just a thought as with a good workshop they will often put a stock tune back in for not a lot if you don't want the custom tune. This may be cheaper in the long run.

I

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
Wazza is actually correct in some of what he is saying!

You DO NOT recalibrate sensors :\
A tuner will use the readings of a sensor to recalibrate the fuel, spark, airflow, etc. tables
the only time you would recalibrate an 02 sensor is when you dont want it to be targeting stoich of pump fuel (ie. running ethanol, methanol)

The sensors are there to detect current conditions and make adjustments and variations to the pre-mapped tune (factory or performance tuned)

This stuff isnt something you can really argue about unless you really understand all the technical bits behind it.
Its wrong to say a tune is 100% better for your car.
I bet that 18hp at peak power actually came from reducing and/or removing some of those "safety nets" in the factory tune.............

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Calibration/calibrated = stock settings
Tune = new settings/aftermarket
Don't hear of many people removing aftermarket gear and going back to the stock calibration.

Also I think with his 400rkw G6ET Airstrike knows a fair bit about tunes funnily enough.

Surely this thread has run its course after this by now

Oh, I didn't realise he had a G6ET, obviously that qualifies him to know everything. Amazingly he even knows the history of MY CAR, he's even telling me that I've had a tune shop perform a MAF tune before I got the MAFless after, Probably his G6ET told him that, and of course I'm wrong about what's been done to MY CAR. Silly bugger will eat humble pie when Active get back to him to confirm what I'm saying is true, says a lot about him when he won't even take it from the horses mouth.

P/s...CALIBRATING/CALIBRATION DOES NOT MEAN STOCK SETTINGS, buy a dictionary and get an education.
CALIBRATING is the correlation of the readings of an instrument and to compare it to a standard while CALIBRATION is the act of Calibrating an instrument......to call a stock tune a Factory Calibration is just plain dumb English, the correct term would be Factory Standards or Factory Settings.

TYREFRYER is correct. A tune merely disables certain features and enables others, such as fail safes and emission controls which is why they void your warranty. I will be restoring mine the Factory Standard when I sell it because only a nut would buy a car that's had a after market tune.

Last edited:

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
I understand how sensors work, it was covered in my 1st year of Electronics study years ago.

Did you fail that course, why did you mention about the sensors programming then, I also did a locomotive electronics course where we were taught about locomotive sensors and fail safes. I'm guessing only one of us has gone on and put their training to use in a career.

VEO55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
WazzaV8... Mate you are a troll, you have been a member of this forum less than 2 weeks. All I have seen are post's from you arguing with other members. Everything you say is a contradiction to something you have posted elsewhere.

From the Facebook link you provided to us.
Wayne Milton
Now when I stop I can smell burning rubber, new tyres on order. Just a querie, you said yours is the same to the decimal so what's your 1/4 times?
But now your telling us that the 18HP gain after your tune is not worth the $1000 performance shops charge.

I will also provide another link you contradict yourself again.
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...stions/217638-issues-brake-lights-ve-sv6.html

You may be earning good money working in the 'mining sector' mate... But you make very little sense :blah blah:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Oh, I didn't realise he had a G6ET, obviously that qualifies him to know everything. Amazingly he even knows the history of MY CAR, he's even telling me that I've had a tune shop perform a MAF tune before I got the MAFless after, Probably his G6ET told him that, and of course I'm wrong about what's been done to MY CAR. Silly bugger will eat humble pie when Active get back to him to confirm what I'm saying is true, says a lot about him when he won't even take it from the horses mouth.

P/s...CALIBRATING/CALIBRATION DOES NOT MEAN STOCK SETTINGS, buy a dictionary and get an education.
CALIBRATING is the correlation of the readings of an instrument and to compare it to a standard while CALIBRATION is the act of Calibrating an instrument......to call a stock tune a Factory Calibration is just plain dumb English, the correct term would be Factory Standards or Factory Settings.
If, and when, active post if I am wrong I am happy to say so. No need for name calling.

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
Did you fail that course, why did you mention about the sensors programming then, I also did a locomotive electronics course where we were taught about locomotive sensors and fail safes. I'm guessing only one of us has gone on and put their training to use in a career.

Re read my post, programmed tolerance referred to the programming not the sensor itself.

This isn't a pissing contest. The OP asked a question I gave him my opinion that to get the most out of his mods get a tune.

You had your 2 cents, let the OP get on with his thread.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
C'mon Wazza, put down the shovel.

The hole you're digging is getting deeper and deeper...........