Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how much to tune a ssv manual?

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by RoaringSky, May 22, 2013.

1. Ian Johnston

Ian Johnston Active Member

Members Ride:
    2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
    Thats a good result Dingus. You would be happy with that.

2. Slick6

Slick6 New Member

Members Ride:
    Phantom SSV
    Dingus will probably be driving around with a big smile in his face :)

Mine made similar gains after the tune and mods but power aside the way it drives was the biggest winner, its much better behaved (mine is a manual).

The only thing I regret is waiting 40,000km to do it. My next car will be tuned straight away.

3. VEO55

VEO55 Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV UTE
    Haha if I think all the way back to the first page if this epic thread, it was the MAF-less tune that caused your fuel consumption to raise. But now you say it was the exhaust and OTR... Work that out Einstein!!!

4. PIR4TE

PIR4TE Banned

Members Ride:
    Black Pearl
    Hello Vudu and Dingus I've spent a lot on research and mods and experts and wankers promising magical transformations by remapping the ECU software, bottom line is that I read from the print out that your car is likely no better off after the tune than before.
    That chart is an outright manifestation, most of them are.
    Always look at the correction factor and what SAE standard is being used (I wouldn't choose J607 anywhere in Australia).
    Firstly the correction does not match the conditions, but more importantly SAE deems more than 7% (0.07) an invalid test.
    Where does 0.39 possibly fit as a correction factor?
    Better off getting raw dyno figures and noting temp and baro.
    Same with torque, is what you want to see... otherwise ask what preference value they / the program factors for moment of inertia specific to your diff, mags, discs etc., or friction from your tyres rr / psi.
    No doubt the car will seem to run better, just sayin that dyno figures from the bloke you paid to fiddle with his lappy are clearly subjective.
    Go to another dyno using same J607 right now and I say it will be somewhere in between the red and blue lines.
    EDIT: The actual chart is not tidy and should include the AFR

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  5. Sandman

Sandman Challenge Accepted

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    Plenty of people on here an many other car forums would strongly disagree. What's the point of adding performance modifications to your car if your not going to give them the ideal settings to work with to get the most of their potential.
    Also please learn to multi-quote.

6. AirStrike

AirStrike Administrator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    91' VN SS
    While I agree with majority of what you have said, I don't agree that is should include the AFR's. My car has had more tunes then probably any car on here and I don't have a single sheet with AFR's. I trust that my tuner knows what he is doing, which is evident by the fact I push it extremely hard and not broken it (lol), and to be honest AFR's won't mean anything to 99% of people.

7. Johnsy

Johnsy ★★★★★

Members Ride:
    VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
    Hey Dingus, i am seeing the boys this Saturday at Russo Performance to chat about what options i shall be getting done to my ride... They seem like they know what they are doing when i first stuck my head in to say hello last fortnight..
    They had some impressive units in there getting tuned and worked on. Did you see the twin turbo LS3 GTS ? Sounded unreal :)

So you are now calling a Harley a decent bike !! :lmao:

8. HamaTime™

HamaTime™ VIP Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 & RV6 4Runner
    Herp.

I posted a video before, i'll post it again.

Stock SS/SSV makes 270kw (at the flywheel) which probably equates to about 210-215rwkw on the dyno. In the video below, after a tune/exhaust/intake it makes 271rwkw.

Fkn please stop talking, you look like a fool to a community of people who actually know far more about what they are talking about than you do. Not to mention you are completely ignorant of the facts which other people have put out there.

There really isn't any more to be said.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2016
  9. Foggsy

Foggsy Active Member

Members Ride:
    2011 VE SS Sedan M6
    Dyno 3.jpg Dyno 4.jpg

Dyno Chart from Stock Run in Jan 2013 (208.5rwkw). Other chart from this week noting the Duspeed and the Cat back 3" added 20rwkw before tune and then the tune added about 20 as well for a final tuned figure of 248.5rwkw.

Note that the car hit 250rwkw a couple of times but my tuner said it runs all day at the final figure of 248.5 so thats what they went with.

10. BehaveSS

BehaveSS Member

Members Ride:
    2011 HSV E3 Tourer
    You don't need to believe me, but I have worked for Holden as an engineer and have in many occassions worked with powertrain teams and spent plenty hours at the Holden lang lang proving grounds testing vehicles?

When I say tune the AFR down from 14.7 doesn't imply AFR is an input into tuning software... I'm trying to elude to the engineering reasons 'why' you do it, rather than 'how' or 'what' you do in softwares... I guess that's the difference between Engineers and our buddy technicians.

11. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    Engineer is such a loose term. Somebody at work is regarded as an "engineer" by his qualification and he struggles to put a coherent sentence together. You could have been working on the interior noise monitoring team for all we know. Not that i really care. I still stand by what you said in regards to your simple waving of hand over what is accessible through a tuning package.

And your backhanded criticism of technicians just wreaks of the inherent stupidity of somebody who thinks that a piece of paper makes their theoretical knowledge more useful than a practical one.

12. BehaveSS

BehaveSS Member

Members Ride:
    2011 HSV E3 Tourer
    Eh? Those personal comments about me aside, what's your point?

13. Big-Al

Big-Al Banned

Members Ride:
    VY SS 5.7 M6
    Why isn't this drug ####ed mining dipshit banned yet, my wife knows more about engines than this toss. Totally off topic.

It's dicks like this that ruin decent forums.

14. yxyx64

yxyx64 New Member

Members Ride:
    Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
    yeah, people should have at least one thousand posts before they can make any posts. Two thousand if they have a different opinion.

hey al bloke, did you notice how you got bagged when you suggested the bloke sell up and get a v8 in the other thread and then the same guy that 'liked' the bagging started to argue how installing a blown v6 was a better use of time and money?

15. Big-Al

Big-Al Banned

Members Ride:
    VY SS 5.7 M6
    And did you notice I didn't care that my opinion was not followed? Did you see me ruining the thread arguing over and over about how much cheaper in the long run selling the car and getting a V8 would be?

16. yxyx64

yxyx64 New Member

Members Ride:
    Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
    its ok as other op is getting the good oil now on a cold air intake.......women who love engines....pics or it never happened...

17. DavesCalais

DavesCalais Member

Members Ride:
    VT Calais
    My cars no VE but its a holden v8. Exhaust with an otr and mafless/tune makes 234.3rwkw. No cam, no blower has a mental increase in throttle response, very noticeable gain, kills shift kitted autos off the line and beats stockish ssv's (with exhausts). As for fuel economy goes has actually improved after the tune around town and long distance. Tunes are definitely worth getting if there car has the potential there :)

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

18. RoaringSky

RoaringSky New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV MY9.5 Manual Sedan
    Yeah this tune shop I went to is apparently known to rip ppl off as they start to get a name now... As soon as I heard it will cost me $1190 I switched off instantly. I am not a tuner but I do have a general idea of cars and modding, and for a simple tune on a street car on its factory ECU with this sort of price is a pure rip off! I was never gonna go there.

He offered this type of tune with a piggy back coz I can have 3 different settings, eg. 91 ron to 98 ron fuel, and I can switch back to stock setting if I want to. I was not interested in that set up anyway. I just want a good setting for 91 ron, and that's how my car will always run as I don't plan for cams or blowers etc.

This post has been quite informative and entertaining so far, and cheers for so many ppl chipping in for advices and experiences!!

19. RoaringSky

RoaringSky New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV MY9.5 Manual Sedan
    Yeah I think I will put on my new extractors, cats and otr then drive it for 6 months just to feel the improvements as is, then tune it so I have an appreciation of what the tune actually increases. It makes sense and that's how I always modded my cars, 1 step at a time to feel the steps of performance increases.

However, if I do that, the new extractors will cause the Engine Light to turn on, yes? If so, would that be a problem?

20. AD07

AD07 Member

Members Ride:
    VE CALAIS V 6.0
    Seriously.......WHY...?????
    Tune , OTR, & exhaust should get you between 50-70rwkw.
    Do it once & do it right , all at the same time.
    Ask any decent Tuner & they will tell you to get a tune WHEN FITTING your mods to maximise all the gains available.