Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much would you expect from dealers etc? VF SSV Redline

Dawgyz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline 14
Hi guys,
I'm looking at selling my VF SSV Redline, I've kept it in good nick, been the only owner since factory in 2014, full service history and had a W310 pack installed on it. I have a few minor scratches to paint work and 1 dent, never been in accident, etc. I'm looking on carsales and see there's around 60 something for sale in QLD. MOST are between 40k-60k with few discrepencies, I had it insured through RACQ for 40k.
I've been to a dealer and had an online carsales company offer a price, however, the prices were $19000 and $17800 respectively. I am gobsmacked they would offer so low, it's obviously easier to sell this way than through a private sale and the risks, etc. But is that normal for the sale price to a dealer or something similar to be like $30k less?
This was my 2nd car and first time selling a car myself, just trying to get some more info. Thank you guys!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
If you're not buying something else from the same dealer, I'm not terribly surprised. They prefer not to just buy a car without also making a sale, and will gleefully lowball you ... they'd actually rather buy from auction where the price is likely higher, I don't understand what the business-model is at all.

If this is for a trade-in it gets a lot more complicated. :) They fiddle the figures, you don't really know how much the car you're buying cost them or how much it REALLY costs you versus how much trade they're REALLY giving you. Also if they already have 5 Redlines on the lot that haven't moved in a while, they'll offer you less 'cos yours just goes up against what they've already failed to sell.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Mileage has a big impact on the value. CarSales is indicating about $30,000 for an average mileage (69,000 - 133,000 km).

How many kilometres?

And did they price it up as a ‘Redline’ or as an ‘SS’?

IMG_2781.jpeg

Dawgyz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline 14
Just hit 100k on the clock. They priced it as a redline.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Sounds like you need an InstantOffer(tm) from CarSales. :)

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
A few things to consider... Firstly, those 40k-60k prices on Car Sales are probably way over-inflated. Some people are clinging desperately to the COVID stupidity, but in reality, we're seeing prices starting to fall across most of the markets.

Problem is, anyone looking to sell their car sees these sky-high prices and automatically thinks that's what their car is worth. What you have to take into account is that those cars have either sat there for sale forever, or they actually sell for a lower offer and you never hear about that final sale price.

The kilometres is also a major factor. There's a glass ceiling at 100.000km. Anything under that is reasonably saleable, but once the odometer gets into six figures, a big chunk of the market tends to shy away, whether it's been well-serviced or not.

And, finally, if you're just looking to sell it to a dealer outright, of course they're only going to pay wholesale prices. Even if you traded it on something, they would still "base" your car at that wholesale price, but you would get what they call an "over-allowance".

Over-allowance (or OA) is just basically juggling the figures to make it seem like they're giving you more for your car, but the amount that they over-allow usually rolls-over into the next deal they make when they sell your trade-in, and sometimes it keeps rolling over down the line until they sell the last car traded, then they recoup the OA's from along the whole string of transactions.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Market is flooded with V8's at the moment, its a buyers market.

As others have said, a lot of them are priced because they over payed during COVID. Now all the people who wanted them for "Life" just want to roll into whatever Euro/4x4 is up next.

That Dealer price is basically so they know they can flip it immediately for a profit. That predicted price is probably where yours sits value wise. There is a number of lower KM VF1's, including manuals that have sat for a year around the $40-$45k mark, and will have further to fall

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Interestingly, there's a mint VF1 Redline with 15,000km's advertised for $49,990, then there's a series of clowns asking 55-60k for half stuffed one's with 98,000km's+

If they can't sell the mint one for $49,990, who on earth will pay 60k for a junker in comparison?