Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HOW TO: install new Head unit into a commodore VT (wiring harness)

tdirago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
Gday guys,

Turned 19 yesterday and my dad gave me his old VT.. Only problem is it has no ipod integration or a cassete player.

I've done plenty of research regrading the matter of replacing the head unit, and i found out the installation costs are around 100 dollars. Id much rather save the money and learn to do it myself.

Installing a Head-Unit Into a VT-VX Commodore | Decibel Car Audio the SPL Knowledgebase
i found this and other guides rather helpful but i do not have a soldering iron. My mates suggested a wiring harness of some sort but i cant find any detailed instructions on how to do this and would appreciate some enlightenment. Like what it does and how to do it..

I also realise i need to purchase a holder for the huge gap below left by the old stereo

Thanks

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You can get a plug that you connect to the wires of your new head unit and will plug straight into the factory harness. You can get them from places like Supercheap etc. You will still need a soldering iron to do it properly.

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive 9C1
considering how much a soldering iron costs, go to jaycar or somewhere similar and get yourself one, if you ever plan on doing anymore electronics in your car it will be a welcome hand,

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=TS1475&keywords=soldering+iron&form=KEYWORD

and if you need some help check this video out

YouTube - Mighty Car Mods - How To Install A Headunit Properly (SE02 EP9)

and get the wiring diagrams off this website as well

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/electrical-wiring-questions/2176-eurovox-wiring-chart.html

and remember if ever you need anymore help check on here there are always people willing to help!

have fun, i did mine in about 2hours with some help with the wiring diagram and a soldering iron is one of the best money you can spend for electronics!

oh and don't cut the old loom off if you plan on installing the original stereo when you sell the car...just splice into the wires so that the old loom is there!

ausrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
00 SS M6/79 chev Monza
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/stereo-install-removal-vn-vs.3908
same on a VT .......i have used these instructions now on a few holden models .............same up till vt ,not sure about anything later
I also fished out the front dash speakers and attached then to the fronts as well
simple way to test what speaker is what is to get a 1.5 volt battery and put it across both speaker wires ,you will hear a "pop" noise that will let you know what speaker is where in the car :)

tdirago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
thanks for the replies,

went to autobarn, i picked up a pioneer headunit for about 200 dollars and 2 harnesses which connected into each other so i didnt need to solder.

Ive plugged the harness's in and the antenna thing, when i put my ipod into play it only comes out of the front left speaker, not the back or right....

Any ideas? there are no lose wires however there is two rca ports (White/red) behind HU, do i need them for sound all around the car"?

thanks

tdirago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
THanks for the replies, ive purchased a pioneer HU and ive installed it works fine.. however my antenna wont raise and ive noticed the HU comes with a blue/white remote contorl thing? not sure how to fix this

Thurlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
thanks for the replies,

went to autobarn, i picked up a pioneer headunit for about 200 dollars and 2 harnesses which connected into each other so i didnt need to solder.

Ive plugged the harness's in and the antenna thing, when i put my ipod into play it only comes out of the front left speaker, not the back or right....

Any ideas? there are no lose wires however there is two rca ports (White/red) behind HU, do i need them for sound all around the car"?

thanks

I had the same issue, I took it out and reconnected it, then front right started working but pretty sure rear right is still not working. Not sure if it has to do with bad connection or something? Wires not touching properly or being earthed maybe?
Any advice would be great.

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive 9C1
make sure that the harnesses are correct, there is a chance that they may not be....also check that there is actually a connection between all the other speakers within the three different connection points! hence why i would have just soldered it on saves you have three possible areas for signal lost/degredation...did the speakers work before the new h/u?

tdirago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
ha sorry for double post, first one didnt appear..

Yea i did reconnect it straight after and all of them but back rear works. I knew it was of course either the harnesses or headunit because my old one i retried which worked fine.
the guy at the shop tested it on his speaker setup in the store and the back right didnt work so he said the HU was faulty and had to be taken to be repaired. Should i have just refunded and got a enw one or wait the time? which is a week? like is it a pain for them to do that?