Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] How to Jack up your car and put it on Safety Stands

Kal123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 && 180sx
Any recommendations on Brands of Jacks and Stands?

Saw a nice Kincrome Kit for $99 at My local Auto shop..

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
^^ i was told that as well, and also you forgot to say chock the opposite wheels, especially at the back because the back wheels are the handbrake

It's mentioned near the start. I think I forgot it when I initially wrote it out.

As for brands, I can't personally recomend any, as I'm not an expert on the topic (I just did a how-to on it though :p). I'd say get one with a warranty, provided that you are going to use it properly, when you do get your jack, make sure you keep it lubricated as per manufactuers instructions and always follow correct safety procedures.

JT090

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
hey good write up for some of the 'noobs' (no offence intended) my mate (who is a mechanic and should have known better) jacked the rear of a car he was working on up but didn't chock the wheels or use stands, as it happens it rolled off the jack whilst he was having a quick look under. Down to the point his head got crushed into the ground with the petrol tank, stopped breathing and loss conciousness, although he did survive he is very bloody lucky he was revived on the scene broke a couple or ribs but would have been dead if anything like the diff crushed him, just remember it can happen to anyone and take the precautions to make sure you are safe

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Good how-to mate. Excuse my noobness but I've been very hesitant to jack up the rear by placing the jack under the diff. Is this really ok?

dynoryder

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive wagon
can i add one thing if you are not working on a commodore it is safest to put the jackstands under the chassis rails allways and leave the wheels under the sils and the jack just off its jacking point

this way you have two fail safes plz be carefull

oh yea if you can leave wheels on then do so

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
For once, i agree with him ^^^^ I always throw spare tyres under each side of the car AS WELL as car stands. If the car falls, sure you may have a broken face, but it's better than dying. If i'm using a jack and stands and only jacking one side, i'll lower the car onto the stands, and i'll leave the jack supporting the car too.

Same deal, if the stand fails, the jack may just give you that extra few seconds to scramble out from under the car.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I always leave tyres under the sills, as well as leaving the trolley jack just a few mm's under the car for that added protection.

Good write-up Jazza

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
Agreed guys, I usually kep the jack under for an extra safety margin. I added this point into the how-to.
I prefer to use the chassis rails when using chassis/safety stands, the stand just fits them better and safer.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Why not just add another set of jack stands ? They cheap enough at supercheap. And why isnt this thread stickied ???

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
Why not just add another set of jack stands ? They cheap enough at supercheap.
I think that's be a bit of an overkill, we are really talking worst case scenario. Making sure that your safety stands are positioned correctly initially is a good way to save a perfectly good pair of undies at the least.
And why isnt this thread stickied ???
Called it early, but yeah! :)