Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to ruin your headlights quickly using higher wattage globes.

MR VXS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2 Dual Fuel Wagon
Howdy.

I couldn't work out why my headlights were crap compared to my previous VX wagon, so I pulled them out today to install some new SS ones.

This is what happens when you use H4- 90/100 watt globes in place of the standard H4- 55/60 watt ones. I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING HIGHER WATTAGE GLOBES IN COMMODORE HEADLIGHTS, lol.

The top section of the reflector disintegrated and then the top of the headlight casing along with it. Obviously from excess heat. Just couldn't see it until they were slid out of the front of the car for replacement.

No, I did not put the higher wattage bulbs in, they were already there, lol. I was going to with my new ones, but thankfully I saw the light, lol.

Pics are below, lol...
lhs.jpg
rhs.jpg

Last edited:

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Bugger

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
On Facebook, (in a group I moderate) there's this crazy woman... Every time someone asks about replacement bulb types & wattages for the WH Statesman/Caprice/Grange cars, she comments on the poor person's post immediately and tells them to "chuck in a set of 90/110 globes, theys da ducks guts m8"

People have followed her advice and got smoking wiring, melted fog lights and scorched lower bumpers. I constantly correct the misinformation she spouts, by saying the WH fog lights use a 27 watt specialized bulb (type 880) and she goes apesh!t because she keeps thinking these 80/100 bulbs can just be "whacked in there mate, don't be a p$ssy!" and yet here you go, perfect example of what happens when you use them. They draw more heavily on the headlight wiring, so its lucky you didn't smoke up some wiring too.
Previous owner was obviously a tool...

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
that's not what does it, my old headlamps went like this and they had factory globes. Not saying I recommend or use anything other than factory but that's not what caused what you have experienced.

MR VXS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2 Dual Fuel Wagon
If it was a manufacturing fault or old age, every second commodore with tear drop headlights would be showing the same fault wouldn't it?

Im pretty sure it was the high wattage bulbs that did the damage, theres black soot from the excessive heat, obviously from the hotter bulbs. Dont think they are ventilated enough for double wattage bulbs, looking at the headlight housing.

It may not happen straight away, but it will happen, obviously. Anyway, just a friendly heads up for anyone running, or considering the higher wattage bulbs. At the end of the day, its your call. Better to just buy higher lumin bulbs of the same wattage, or get spotties.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
My old VX lights did this to and had factory globes. But yes high wattage globes will cause dramas.