Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV XU6 coolant type?

SuperXU6

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 VT HSV XU6
Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone has any info on what type of coolant to use in an L67 I've heard they use a special type of coolant because they run hotter than other engines is this true? Any info would be appreciated as I will be flushing the cooling system and replacing the coolant as well as doing my engine mounts and tie rod ends this weekend.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
They do run a bit hotter than the standard V6 but I don't think they need any special coolant. In my supercharged 6 I've always just run nulon coolant and it stays very clean and doesn't get rusty or sludgy. Just in case you haven't done it before, make sure you bleed the cooling system properly when you replace the coolant. There are 3 bleeder screws that need to be done in the right order and I usually repeat the process several times to get all the air out. Its been covered a fair bit on here, l67torque and SC forum so do a search around if you haven't done it before

SuperXU6

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 VT HSV XU6
Thanks for the info I have bled the system before as it had an air bubble in the system when I bought the car but thanks anyway

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I had a radiator hose split when I first got mine (bout 4 years ago now) and I just filled up the rad after replacing it and didn't bleed it. It didnt keep proper temperature and I had no idea why.... Such a rookie error