Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Huge power drain - spool

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
did you fit the spool yourself and did you use the stock shims it may just be too tight and need a slimmer shim

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
OK I am a couple of steps closer to diagnosis..

Jacked the car up tonight to change the rear springs and set up the shocks properly..
  • The last time I drove the car was 2 hrs ago or more, that was a long trip at highway speeds. The diff is still far too hot to touch.
  • Oil has boiled / got so hot it seems to have thinned right out at some point and leaked through the filler bung, and wept from the front seal.
  • I checked the tailshaft play in neutral, it wiggles with one hand so that doesn't appear to be the problem.
  • There is barely any backlash in the diff (tailshaft has MINIMAL play estimate less than 1mm)
  • Took both me and Dad on a wheel to turn the rear axles, in neutral with handbrake off. That's how stiff it is sometimes.

Help!
As it stands the rear axle will come out when I do the engine swap in 2 weeks or so, I'll take it to a rebuilders and they can diagnose and repair. I will degrease and blast down the entire thing before it goes back in, and coat everything in silver paint for ease of spotting any further leaks

Sound like my best plan of attack?

Any help appreciated
Sam

georgeonboost

clutch it!
Reaction score
Members Ride
slammed VP EXEC
just get another diff from the wreckers and slap the spool in it. would be a lot easier than trying to find out whats wrong with the diff in your car now. if it was an LSD diff i would say otherwise but its just a single pegger with a spool in it.

thats my 2c.

George

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
lol well its probally cheaper and easier to get another one off ebay then to **** round with the current one if its ****ed.

how is buy a new one off ebay a helpful solution?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
must be the shims or carrier bearings for the spool take the car to the diff guru's so they can put the correct shims and stuff in ide say or you could swap the shims around but if its that tight something will give and its probably wearing the diff gears too

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
ther gears must be way to tight to create that much heat, i'd think they are probably stuffed. you running a mini or full spool?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I agree the whole thing will be stuffed now anyway, just get one from the wreckers bolt it in and be happy :) I've seen this happen to a badly setup diff before and the gears were ground down pretty good

Last edited:

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
mini spool. Will see what the rebuilder has to say when he opens it up, if it's going to cost too much may consider just spooling another one. Who's to say it won't just happen again though?