Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

i built this car up from **** when i was 12

vlalx095

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 vl sl
time wise. i blew all my money recoing the engine(full rebuilt internals as above) and interior,exhaust system.
gave up on the engine and let it sit

2 years later i had another go at the engine and start slowly buying other parts
combustion sensor,
airflow meter,
the ecu said something about a new gear circuit sensor and a speed circuit sensor so i got them installed.
tried a lot more other spare parts on already existing parts.
tested parts for faults
just kept trying to figure out what was wrong with it.
dad also was having trouble getting the FE stripped for paint and prepped so we both got into dirt bikes..

so for most of the year we were more concentrated onto going riding other than the cars. every weekend we kit up either the gatton forrestry, brisbane/fernvale forrestry and occasionally beaudesert rbtc rides..

by this point in time i was 15 and only got interested in the vl again just after the january floods when everybody was short of cash and it was easier to buy cheap parts and get cheap services. dad took advantage of the floods by hiring a desperate for work panel beater/spray painterand buying shitloads of part from flood victims. with me and dad working on the FE again it motivated me to try find the problem in the vl. but still no luck. i ran a diagnostic through the ecu again and having short amount of money i couldnt hire an auto elecy to run a full dignosis from one of there computers.i was keen to have the car done before my birthday so i could have it registered and get my license on the same day. so i went a cheaper way of finding the problem and got onto a manufacturers guide from repco that led me to believe that the distributor was 180 degrees out.

come june-july i went out and bought about 6 cans of aerostart and told dad to turn the key while i spray the hell outta the intake manifold, it started to pop a bit through the muffler but still didnt start. there was water in the plugs that lead to the injectors. cleaned the plug and it finally started .

thats how i spent my time on the car. i know ive missed a few small details. but i feel like im just repeating the details over and over again and im sick of typing.

CapriciousWL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice
Ok - so Dougie Howser built a car when he was 12 and it wasn't hard. We all have differing talents and there are always better bays and cheaper ways that experience will educate us about. Going on the list of items, I may question the time frame and the independence of the build, but if it exists, good for him.

A spell check may be good - the thing that stands out is the slabs of text full of spelling and grammar issues. A few more photos also would aid the entire thread.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
if you also dont believe me that the vl is mine it will be at the munchin shows on friday nights in a few weeks.

I would love every single one of you that called BS on this kid to turn up and then apologise to him in person and then on this forum.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Why are you running two cat converters. And why are you running forged internals on a stock N/A Motor?

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I would love every single one of you that called BS on this kid to turn up and then apologise to him in person and then on this forum.

I dont know where the munchin shows he is speaking of are, but if they are close by and I have time I would be more than happy to check it out.

If I am wrong, and only the OP knows that, I heartily apologise. As I said in my post.. if you read this, would you believe it? I know there are exceptions, it all just seems so unlikely. Not the build part, there are certainly enthusiastic kids in this world, but the financial side. First the original statement about the swap he had made, then the large sums of money he was apparently spending on the car at 12 and 13 years of age.

Theres a big difference between this, which implies he scored a very improbable deal

story is i had a 308 vk when i was 12 and had to gget drivable car for my ps so i swapped the vk for this vl and 5 grand.

and this, which implies he has a generous uncle.

and dude i traded the vk.. my uncle gave me the 5 grand cash,,,AND the vl..

If I am wrong you certainly have my unreserved apology, and I wish you good luck with your project. I remain unconvinced, but certainly your explanation this time is much more believable and makes a lot more sense than the previous efforts.

I am sorry, I can't resist this.. ;) ... maybe all of this explains why your written language skills are atrocious... too much time on cars and not enough on school? (Don't take that one to heart, just a sad attempt at humour... :) )

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Didn't read all the info but the VL looks pretty mint. Colour is damn sexy in some lights but not a fan when it has the pink look in some angles.

Nice dark tint, ditch the cannon and the southern cross garbage and it'll look pretty shmick.

vlalx095

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 vl sl
i had the 5 grand from the swap for the first 2 and a half years. i spent it all on the car..

i swapped a vk brock ss commodore group A . the vk in its condition could have sold for 18 000 or more today.
when i turned thirteen i got a job. u know where you work for money ??? how hard is it to understand that ? are you stupid or something ?
i actually got 2 jobs. one at a pub and one at the farm. easily 200 bucks a week for four nights of work,

im not running two cats i have one in the car and a spare.
i got the forged internals because i have intentions on getting a turbo one day and wanted to have the most expensive part of the bulid out of the way plus i didnt know what was wrong with the car when i first got it and we thought that if we strip the motor down we could find the problem. then dad told me i might as well rebuild the motor while it was apart so we got a set of forged pistons and new rods camshaft and crank arms ect while it was stripped. when ever i would replace something i would also replace the surrounding components eg the fuel rail. while it was off i replaced the injectors and fuel pressure regulator. while i was doing the fuel pressure regulator i would also replace the fuel line, pump filter ect. alot of people advised me to get the parts i got for this car and told me the easiest ways to install and modify it.. dont worry daxter if you dont like the car and dont believe that i built it thats fine. i just hope that you never see me at a car show so you dont have to bare the guilt of doubting me. and im pretty sure you'd cop a revvin from my uncle.

if you are trying to imply that im a redneck because i make a few spelling mistakes, its because im not used to typing huge posts and this is only my first thread, i had no idea what to type and thought i was posting into another thred called 'ïf you have a vl post a picture here'. turns out it made a new thread that was a complete typo and i didnt know how to delete it. but i left the post up to see what people would think and every time someone would comment i would try answer the questions there were asking before i could even tell the whole story of the car. thats why its soo broken up and hard to under stand but the next thread that i make will be in much better detail and will be in a complete order of the build... ohh and plenty of pictures.
im just waiting on my uncle to find the pictures of the car before i bought it from him. then ill get all the pictures of it "now".

ive only looked at about 5 threads to see how they are set up so i think i might do a proper job this time.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
I worked with my dad from the age of 11 till I was 19, doesn't seem unlikely that this kid had a job and had some idea of what he was doing. I was out in the middle of nowhere places like Benambra and Cann river building bridges with my uncle and my dad over school holidays. I say good on him if it's true, upload some more pictures too.

Good job man!!

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
when i turned thirteen i got a job. u know where you work for money ??? how hard is it to understand that ? are you stupid or something ?

Its hard to understand because its illegal to employ a 13 year old. Have I called you stupid? Dont do it junior, it aint nice.

i actually got 2 jobs. one at a pub and one at the farm. easily 200 bucks a week for four nights of work,
on the farm, maybe. your folks gave you money for doing your share of the chores. Nice, implies a work ethic. In the pub at 13? Dont let the cops find out.

dont worry daxter if you dont like the car and dont believe that i built it thats fine. i just hope that you never see me at a car show so you dont have to bare the guilt of doubting me. and im pretty sure you'd cop a revvin from my uncle.

I've actually said I like the vl. You keep modifying your story, its kinda hard to believe. Now its a genuine Brock Group A that you swapped? You were better sticking with the ' I have a generous uncle, he gave me 5k' story, that one almost had me.

I dont have any guilt at all in doubting you, none at all. If I ever see you at a car show or anywhere else and it turns out your story is true, I will congratulate you and shake your hand. You've achieved so much beyond your years, if it turns out to be true then you will certainly be worthy of a heartfelt apology and congratulations.

By the way my name is Dak, hence the username Dakster. No x's.

Threatening me with a 'revving' from your uncle is just infantile.

if you are trying to imply that im a redneck because i make a few spelling mistakes, its because im not used to typing huge posts and this is only my first thread

No, I am not implying that you are a redneck. No implications were made and I certainly didn't call you a redneck.

I am categorically stating that your English literacy skills are woeful. 'Huge posts' and 'first thread' have no effect whatsoever on spelling, grammar and punctuation. The education system is to blame for that, not you. I did say not to take it to heart, it was a sad attempt at humour. I apologise.

im just waiting on my uncle to find the pictures of the car before i bought it from him. then ill get all the pictures of it "now".

Mate, regardless of who owns the car, I'd be happy to see build photos. It looks good, it has potential, and I hope it turns out well. If its genuinely your car, then congratulations you have done very well indeed... sort of. Even 4 years ago, if it was a genuine Group A you must have known its value and it would have been a very, very silly swap.

I'm still wondering why you never mentioned that until the figures didnt add up.. you owned such a valuable car, as a gift, at such a tender age.. and didnt think it was worth saying more than ' i had a 308 vk but since i couldnt drive it on my p's' etc ( of course you couldnt drive any other car either, since you were 12 or 13 when this swap happened?)

The Group A came from some guy your dad bought it off cheap because it wouldnt start, so he just gave it to you at some time in the last 4 years because he also couldnt be bothered trying to get it started.

I'll just repeat and bold that for emphasis.. your father gave you a genuine Brock VK Group A Commodore sometime between the age of 12 and 16 ie. sometime in the last 4 years.. and said 'if you can get it going you can have it'. Then he let you swap it for a stock vl and 5 grand.

Epic fail on both counts mate....

Now, since you've claimed the vk was a Group A, the whole story just becomes ridiculous. You should have stopped while you were ahead. You almost had me with the generous uncle.

I'll leave you be now. I've made my point. Regardless of the whole crazy story, its possible you own the vl, that I will concede. Its the rest of the story that reeks of BS. If its genuinely yours, I wish you luck with it, it has potential.