Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I finally got one (VZ CALAIS)

02calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy hbd calais
maybe having bought the v8 hes always wanted now he wants to enjoy it a little bit, wtf is wrong with that? and hate to break it to you but sitting 20-30 below the limit is breaking the road rules(impeding the flow of traffic ) and at least in melbourne is becoming the norm thanks to the nanny state slower saves lives brainwashing along with ever increasing revenue cameras hidden wherever they can put them. these same drivers are the same ones slamming the brakes on mid corner for no reason driving in the right lane slowly or cutting off trucks they perceive to slow then ripping the brakes on to sit 20 under the limit . don't forget the sitting so far up each others arse at the lights only 2 cars get through each cycle as they all have to wait for the bumper 1 inch in front of them to move instead of starting to move when the light goes green. but sure its the bloke in an apparently clapped out 13 year old v8(my hq must be so slow it goes backward on that yardstick) thats the problem.

02calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy hbd calais
and just to add to the op, its your car to do what YOU want with. if your going to keep a extremely common car stock solely for resale its a waste of the car and pleasure it could give you as the owner imo.there is no shortage of holdens best selling commodore models ever and wont be for a loooong time yet. there are **** loads of stock ls1 calais out there for those that like standard restos rather than personalised rides.not that there is anything wrong with that either.thats the beauty of the car hobby , once you buy the car its yours to do or not do whatever you please with it. if they were a limited numbers car like an hk gts or gtho you would be mad to mod it but a commonodore have at it

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
So anytime you're stuck behind someone who follows the road rules, he or she must be a moron who "doesn't know which pedal is which" ? Looks like the the V8 went to your head too much. It's a 13 year old car with 160000 Ks on it, can't have too much "guts".
DearDon123,
Whilst having taken my initial comment out of context, i would like to further discuss your opinion.

I'm not sure what the road rules are where you're from but in Sydney, indicating is required by law.
I don't think engine size has anything to do with it. Nor do I think that indicating when changing lanes or using the left lane unless overtaking is much of an unreasonable request or expectation.

My point was, I'm driving sensibly and will continue to do so, but I haven't yet had the chance to even get the car beyond 60km/h as a consequence of the daily traffic I have to deal with (which has it's fair share of "moron" drivers - those who lack the experience or skill to sufficiently follow the rules and drive safely.)
I would enjoy experiencing my car under a number of conditions if not to fully understand the vehicle I now own thus allowing me to drive it correctly and safely for my sake as well as for others.

There's nothing wrong nor illegal about enjoying what I own within the constraints of the appropriate and respectable NSW driving rules and regulations. You have really gone out of yours way to pick out that comment and type a very passive-aggressive response to a total stranger and besides now looking more than a little foolish, you've also pointed out that maybe this community forum isn't the right place for you mate.

Thanks for your time and lovely feedback, have a nice day.

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
and just to add to the op, its your car to do what YOU want with. if your going to keep a extremely common car stock solely for resale its a waste of the car and pleasure it could give you as the owner imo.there is no shortage of holdens best selling commodore models ever and wont be for a loooong time yet. there are **** loads of stock ls1 calais out there for those that like standard restos rather than personalised rides.not that there is anything wrong with that either.thats the beauty of the car hobby , once you buy the car its yours to do or not do whatever you please with it. if they were a limited numbers car like an hk gts or gtho you would be mad to mod it but a commonodore have at it

Couldn't agree more mate. Thats the sort of feedback I was after. lol
i wasn't aiming on opening a can of worms about good vs bad drivers, there are other sections for that.
I'm just here to talk about my goddamn beautiful car! shite.

Just bought some SSL's on the cheap and might put them in soon to see if I can drop the rear a little to level the ride. As far as I can tell is has Fe2's? I parked next to an Exec yesterday and noticed I already had about an inch drop in comparison but don't know what Calais stock spring height is...

D

Don123

DearDon123,
Whilst having taken my initial comment out of context, i would like to further discuss your opinion.

I'm not sure what the road rules are where you're from but in Sydney, indicating is required by law.
I don't think engine size has anything to do with it. Nor do I think that indicating when changing lanes or using the left lane unless overtaking is much of an unreasonable request or expectation.

My point was, I'm driving sensibly and will continue to do so, but I haven't yet had the chance to even get the car beyond 60km/h as a consequence of the daily traffic I have to deal with (which has it's fair share of "moron" drivers - those who lack the experience or skill to sufficiently follow the rules and drive safely.)
I would enjoy experiencing my car under a number of conditions if not to fully understand the vehicle I now own thus allowing me to drive it correctly and safely for my sake as well as for others.

There's nothing wrong nor illegal about enjoying what I own within the constraints of the appropriate and respectable NSW driving rules and regulations. You have really gone out of yours way to pick out that comment and type a very passive-aggressive response to a total stranger and besides now looking more than a little foolish, you've also pointed out that maybe this community forum isn't the right place for you mate.

Thanks for your time and lovely feedback, have a nice day.

I think that you should read your comment again mate. Basically you are claiming that all drivers are morons, so you must be the best one of all, and that's about how every petrol head in this country basically think. I've never suggested that you shouldn't enjoy your car so your long comment didn't address what I was actually commenting on. As for whether this forum is the right place for me is not for you to decide or comment on. I've been a professional driver longer than you've been alive and I've seen a few morons on the road and a few bad accidents because a few petrol heads thought that they're the best drivers on the road. I wish you many years of enjoyment from your car and safe motoring.

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
I know what I wrote so there's clearly been a miscommunication or a misinterpretation.
I started a thread to talk about my car. Not about drivers.
But I agree that the worst drivers are often the ones who think they are the best on the road and I know for a fact I don't fall into that category.

Maybe "forum" was too broad of a term when I was more insinuating that maybe there's another THREAD in which the driver-skill discussion exists, where I'm sure you're more than welcome to passionately debate your opinions to a group rather than targeting an individual.

We are all here for different reasons and for all my years on this forum, it's been 100% positive until now. I came to read useful and insightful posts from other friendly holden-lovers... so maybe lets try and keep this forum friendly and helpful please.

D

Don123

I thought I was friendly, very friendly actually. I do admit that after reading your comment you sound like a level headed guy, i hope that you also drive with a level headed attitude, just alittle excited about your new v8, I understand.

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
I thought I was friendly, very friendly actually. I do admit that after reading your comment you sound like a level headed guy, i hope that you also drive with a level headed attitude, just alittle excited about your new v8, I understand.
I must have taken your initial response the wrong way then (and thus read following replies in the same vain.)
Hope I didn't offend you in my responses, I guess the issue with words on a screen is they lack emotion or empathy.

Admittedly, as a result of our discussion I have been even more observant of other drivers on the road and just how oblivious and ignorant some can be which in turn has allowed me to be a little more (than the usual) pre-emptive with how I drive. So I guess some good has come from this regardless!
I'm curious now, did you say you were a professional driver? How does one attain that title and what do you do (AND what do you drive!)?

D

Don123

Well, if you drive for a living, for example a bus, taxi, truck. semi etc etc, then you're a professional driver as you're using driving as your profession, I don't want to be too personal on a public forum. I'm happy that we sorted it all out.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
For 20 years, when I was asked what I did for a living, I replied that I was a “professional driver, with a large 2 door Mercedes”. This used to stump 'em.
“You know, the big blue and white ones, with about 60 people in it, and advertising on the sides”
And before that, a 2 door Toyota about 12 metres long, stacked with boxes.
There are a lot of professional drivers out there, not just Craig Lowndes and Daniel Ricciardo..