Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I have crank but no ignition and I can’t read my obd2 port

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Keep in mind if you get a crank sensor code it could be either the CAS or DFI as they throw the same code. Easiest option is to grab a SH DFI and swap it over and test. Most of the time if you don't have spark on the V6 it's the DFI.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Start with the basics that don't cost anything.

Paperclip to check codes as Lex posted.

If you have cranking, it's possibly fuel or spark.

Spray some carby cleaner or brake clean in the throttlebody and them crank it.
If it fires briefly, you have spark and it's a fuel issue. Pump, relays etc could be the cause
If it doesn't most likely spark issue. And possible DFI like Losh posted, or wiring to DFI.

Pull the plugs and check if they're wet. Will tell you if you have fuel.

From there we can help before loading up the parts canon.

LarxAuss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vs Ute and 60th Anniversary ve
Start with the basics that don't cost anything.

Paperclip to check codes as Lex posted.

If you have cranking, it's possibly fuel or spark.

Spray some carby cleaner or brake clean in the throttlebody and them crank it.
If it fires briefly, you have spark and it's a fuel issue. Pump, relays etc could be the cause
If it doesn't most likely spark issue. And possible DFI like Losh posted, or wiring to DFI.

Pull the plugs and check if they're wet. Will tell you if you have fuel.

From there we can help before loading up the parts canon.
There is fuel to the rails I have start ya bastard but nothing so I’m assuming that means spark my dad also has a vr Calais and when I was explained it to him this morning he said he had just brought a code reader so I’m waiting for his to arrive and I’ll be able to use that in a few days for codes I have had a look at the plugs and they seem fine with no rust and none were loose but still crank no start (and I’m assuming it’s because of no spark)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Do you have a local U Pull It? If yes drop and grab a DFI off a wreck and try that. Sooner or later you will need a spare anyway. This is the quickest and simplest method to determine if the DFI is the issue. Like I said even if you get a ignition system error code you won't know what is causing it without swapping parts anyway.

looseunit

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vs statesman l67 50th anniversary
Sweet ill have a look at getting one but is there another way I could find why it’s not firing I feel like it may be coil packs or leads but another my brother in law said it may also be CAS/ Cam angle sensor or the dfi how would I be able to tell which has failed
possibly crank sensor, a real pain in arse , but try DFI under ya coil Pak , Take off leads on one of the coil packs, crank engine listen for spark or see spark, if nil its DFI , I believe,
mine did same , just wouldn't start, changed dfi