Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I will never buy a new Holden again "ever"

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ Don Q having a go at tilting windmills :p not Don T the covfefe lover :rolleyes:o_O

Just don't mention "drifting" to environmental Greta :eek:

I think the topic was something about zombiU; a survival horror story for Holden lovers :p

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Sedan 4 cylinder 2 Litre Petrol Turbo
Ummm sorry to be non confrontational but does Lt/rs/rsv have a stop start sytem you can turn off?
The reviews of the stop start on the Commodore .. speaking about the LT anyway, they’re outstanding. The comment was, ‘ you are virtually completely unaware that the engine has stopped and restarted’..I fully agree, and better than any car I have driven.The economy or environmental benefits are another discussion, suffice to say they are of little consequence. It’s so good I haven’t turned it off.

Last edited:

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
The economy or environmental benefits are another discussion, suffice to say they are of little consequence. It’s so good I haven’t turned it off.
Not sure what is being said here. Must be my comprehension skills lacking - I don't want to be confrontational.

arsevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
RS-V Sportwagon
Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Not sure what is being said here. Must be my comprehension skills lacking - I don't want to be confrontational.
The theory behind stop/start is reduced fuel consumption and emissions. I've never experienced a vehicle with it but if I was buying a new car, it wouldn't be on my list of requirements. I really can't see the point.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Stop/Start technology ….. what does it do ?
Answers …….. lowers your battery life, wears out starter motor earlier, allows manufacturers to claim lower urban fuel consumption during laboratory emission testing, gives bragging rights to gizmo believers, potential future-cluster-f***er-upper as electronics age.

arsevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
RS-V Sportwagon
Stop/Start technology ….. what does it do ?
Answers …….. lowers your battery life, wears out starter motor earlier, allows manufacturers to claim lower urban fuel consumption during laboratory emission testing, gives bragging rights to gizmo believers, potential future-cluster-f***er-upper as electronics age.
Nooope...

Sorry, not trying to be 'confrontational' :p but the engine restart doesn't use your battery or starter motor.

What happens is that the ECU stops the engine with one cylinder charged, just after TDC - so all it needs to do is fire a spark into the cylinder, that ignites the charge, shoots the piston down and the rest follow - really clever idea TBH...

:)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Stop/Start has been around for a very long time, before being integrated in vehicles systems.

First saw it overseas many decades ago. It was used on a very congested roads that resembled car parks during the rush hours. A road sign would indicate you must switch off your engine if stationary for more than a minute. And they did fine people who didn’t follow the rules and switch off.

The intent was to stop exhaust fumes being pumped into the local area while the cars just sat there idling and not moving. According to the locals who lived on such roads, they swear it made a huge difference to air quality.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
How Dare you!!! Your comment is highly inoffensive...

:) :p

There's a school of thought out there that stop/start systems do little to actually improve fuel economy / reduce pollution in the real world and are just a mechanism to improve standardised test results:

https://www.youtube.com/user/AutoExpertTV/search?query=stop+start
I'm outraged by your response, since you didn't understand that I was alluding to Tezza's posting being hard to understand.

Your technical explanation in later posts was great, I didn't realise or think of keeping a compressed charge ready to go on one cylinder.

arsevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
RS-V Sportwagon
I'm outraged by your response,...

Of course you realise, this means war... :)

images