Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I would like to identify the P0787 DTC Shift/Timing Solenoid Low refers to which solenoid

BigMat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore S1 3.6 v6 Auto
I have a VE Omega 2008 3.6 Alloytech and. The M30 4L60e transmission that is only showing one error code. P0787 But I would like to know which specific Solenoid this error is referring to, as it doesn’t report if it is the 1/2 or the 3/4 or some other solenoid

Last edited:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Your subject line says P0787 (3-2 Shift Solenoid) but your post says P0878 (Transmission Fluid Pressure (TFP) Switch 4 Circuit High Voltage). Which is correct? If it's P0787 refer to the attached:

Attachments

• VE DTC P0787.pdf
    224.4 KB · Views: 81

BigMat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks BlackVXGTS I have corrected my dyslexic brain and iPhone finger .
You are correct it is the P0787 DTC so thanks for the error in my ways.

Do you by chance have the referred to Link that points to somewhere outside of that document that is titled:
Control and Shift Solenoids Replacement although it appears relatively simple to do .
The reason why I wish to look at this is because there appears to be some tomfoolery going on with the wiring that was done before I bought it. And maybe related.
I was trying to sort out radio as it didn’t have an aerial antenna connected to the aftermarket radio and when I saw this red solitary wire that appeared to be shoved into the a power feed plug behind this centre console just jammed in there , on the driver side footwell to the right of the headunit. It is powered 12v by ignition on, and seems to route to the ECM VATS Wiring in behind the passenger outer kick panel. But With it disconnected (i.e. pulled from the back of the plug) the starter will engage but it won’t start the engine.
So I am trying to get to the bottom of the cause for this P0787 error .
I can’t help but feel it could possibly be related to this Janky wiring job.. In saying that the auto does have rather harsh shifting when not in sport mode and it also manually changes fine…
So if I replace the solenoid it might fix the issue either that or the transmission internal harness because that could be the cause too.

But now I at least know what to check and where. Sadly I don’t have those Jumper harness tools mentioned J44152 and J35616 etc. so I am going with the hit and hope principle. But small steps…

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride

Attachments

• VE Control and Shift Solenoids Replacement.pdf
    629.8 KB · Views: 72

BigMat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks BlackVXGTS for the repair manual. Its quite detailed but sadly none of the links (urls) work in the document either but I assume it is complete. But the URLs refer to the other sections are akk broken, unless you go through them one at a time (all 10,000+ pages) and search for the text itself.
I guess this is one of the fallacies of Adobe Acrobat readers to make really portable documents I guess. It would be great if the document in its original form was web hosted somewhere whereby the links dont actually break and/or doesn't require download.
I am not moaning merely looking for clever ways of doing things. and it appears that you may already host it locally on your internal server instead of an external facing one, or something. by the fact that in the footer of each page refers to a localhost server in it's address.
But thanks again it has indicated to me as to which solenoid is affected by this P0787 DTC which appears to be the 3-2 Downshift Solenoid or it's Wiring
Thanks
Mat

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
You perhaps should have been aware that the original PDF (with working links) is only available by read-only subscription service from GM USA. The workshop manual that is available for download, is a pdf print of the original document(s) which someone has gone to a lot of trouble and expense to print and structure into a semi-usable manual. Hence the internal links don't work. But it's better than nothing, even though it's frequently very frustrating at time consuming to use sometimes.

BigMat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks BlackVXGTS its good to know
and understand what you are saying. Is there a way to find the original as an online resource by subscribing to it? Do you know the url for the publisher or how I may subscribe. Thanks again
Mat.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
You could try the link below, but they don't provide any detail on what's in the subscription service. For example they say it includes "Service manuals from 1996 to present" but don't provide specific details of the brands/models/years included. Having said that, a one day (plus two free days) subscription at $US20 might be worth a shot.

BigMat

Reaction score
Members Ride
I dropped the transmission pan today to check the Ohms resistance of the solenoids, It appears that 4 of them are outside recommended limits.
The 3-2 shift solenoid reads 16.1 Ohms, The others where even lower values the TCC PWM reads 9.1 Ohms and the 1-2 and 2-3 read 11.1 Ohms. each while the transmission was cold. I may as well replace them all. I did check that each solenoid plug doesn't connect to ground or each other in a short sense. Does anyone recommend a source for reasonable priced solenoids as a kit. Thanks
Mat