Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Illegal to get a muffler delete in vic?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I'll bite. Give me something to youtube cuz. And no Nissan's or F1 cars as what those replaced is a crying shame.
Well … Alfa Romeo V6’s sounded pretty awesome, both their own designs (from the 80’s through to noughties I think) and the Holden-built ones they put their own DOHC heads onto (I think from the mid noughties).

There were also some V6 VW engines which sounded super Smurfy, the Golf R32’s may not have been any quicker than a 2L one BUT they sounded great!

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Well … Alfa Romeo V6’s sounded pretty awesome, both their own designs (from the 80’s through to noughties I think) and the Holden-built ones they put their own DOHC heads onto (I think from the mid noughties).

There were also some V6 VW engines which sounded super Smurfy, the Golf R32’s may not have been any quicker than a 2L one BUT they sounded great!
Definately subjective. Not for me, but not gonna flame

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Definately subjective. Not for me, but not gonna flame

Those cars are way too subtle for my liking, but I wouldn't argue with the fact they'd make a nice girl's car.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Alfa V6's were one of the best sounding engines in existence.

Don't get me wrong I'm not hating on V6's. The Alfa V6, Nissan GTR V6, F1 V6, Ford GT V6 etc all sound good.......Holden just couldn't do it.

I don't care how hektik you think you sound in the maccas drive through with your 2nd hand pacemakers and 2.5" redback, it doesn't sound good.

A gronk P plater that just moved in across the road who daily drives a VS with a shitty 2.5" catback with no rear muffler and a welded diff that sounds like it's going to explode when he pulls in and out of his driveway. He thinks he's absolute top sh*t bashing it off the limiter and manging it up and down the street at all hours........unfortunately he's the only one that thinks he's top sh*t.

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I'll bite. Give me something to youtube cuz. And no Nissan's or F1 cars as what those replaced is a crying shame.
Alfa Romeo Busso V6.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
There are some nice sounding V6's here:

The Italians seem to do the V6 sounds the best, but some cars from other countries such as the Nissan R35 GT-R, B8 Audi S4, and even the L67 Commodores sound pretty nice IMO...

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
Yeah, I'm old.
But I remember how good a 70s Ford Capri V6 sounded!

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Those cars are way too subtle for my liking, but I wouldn't argue with the fact they'd make a nice girl's car.
Back in the day young blokes who drove "girls cars" weren't brave enough to admit ownership of them. "It's my mum's car mate, I'm saving for an SLR 5000".

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Don't get me wrong I'm not hating on V6's. The Alfa V6, Nissan GTR V6, F1 V6, Ford GT V6 etc all sound good.......Holden just couldn't do it.
V6 is really no different sound wise than an inline 6 with split headers. The farty sound is cylinder fire from one bank to the other and if the secondaries from each bank are equal length and joined into a single exhaust or large volume X-pipe, the farty sound disappears and sounds much smoother like an inline 6.

Same applies with an inline 6 like a red motor (202) with long secondary Pacemaker headers gives them a V6 farty sound because the secondaries are unequal lengths before they join into one. The twin turbo inline 6 Skyline's have an aftermarket equal length dump pipe and takes the V6 farty sound away and they sound more like an XR6 Turbo Falcon.

These old Rambler 258ci inline 6's like pre-crossflow Ford 6's (XA Falcon) with siamese exhaust ports joining cylinders 3 and 4, sound like a V8 with a dual exhaust and no balance pipe.

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
V6 is really no different sound wise than an inline 6 with split headers. The farty sound is cylinder fire from one bank to the other and if the secondaries from each bank are equal length and joined into a single exhaust or large volume X-pipe, the farty sound disappears and sounds much smoother like an inline 6.

Same applies with an inline 6 like a red motor (202) with long secondary Pacemaker headers gives them a V6 farty sound because the secondaries are unequal lengths before they join into one. The twin turbo inline 6 Skyline's have an aftermarket equal length dump pipe and takes the V6 farty sound away and they sound more like an XR6 Turbo Falcon.

These old Rambler 258ci inline 6's like pre-crossflow Ford 6's (XA Falcon) with siamese exhaust ports joining cylinders 3 and 4, sound like a V8 with a dual exhaust and no balance pipe.

That looks tough but I'd be worried about pushing it hard around a bend.

Last edited: