Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] Installing an aftermarket Head Unit

cezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Hey, I'm having trouble pushing my single din pioneer unit into place. For starters I tried screwing the bracket into place but then i couldn't slide the head unit in as screws were in the way, then I tried with out screwing the bracket in and i could only slide the head unit in half way then it wouldn't budge any further!!

Please help?

ls1 tiga

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7 s2
force the mongrel in!
i actually put mine in today, and was having trouble about 1/2 way too. but slowly pushed her in with a bit of resistance, but she aint going anywhere now!!!

andrewbbez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series 2 Exective 2000 V6
great work

hey great work with the thread. i just used it myself with putting a sony aftermarket unit into my VT.
all the wiring colours matched up perfectly.

the only difference i did was used krimping tools etc, im not that great at soldering.

thanks again

jcuz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
I just received a new kenwood U449 head unit for my vx II
The vx loom has a total of 16 wires but in this example you only use 12 of the vx wires.. what to you do with the rest?
will i be able to use all wires for my head unit?
Wiring set up for head unit

Black - ground
Yellow - Battery wire
Red - ignition wire
blue/white - power control wire
blue - motor antenna control wire
brown - mute control wire
light blue/yellow - steering remote control wire
Speakers
Front Left (+) White
Front Left (-) White/black
Front Right (+) Grey
Front Right (-) Grey/black
Rear Left (+) Green
Rear Left (-) Green/black
Rear Right (+) Purple
Rear Right (-) Purple/black

MY_84_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina/VX S Pac
Just to let everyone know, Aeropro just released a new Control Harness for the vt/vx commodore. It enables the steering wheel controls to still function only if your head unit has the output for it. The part number is CHVTVXA and you can order them through you're local super cheap auto for about $120 :)

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Just to let everyone know, Aeropro just released a new Control Harness for the vt/vx commodore. It enables the steering wheel controls to still function only if your head unit has the output for it. The part number is CHVTVXA and you can order them through you're local super cheap auto for about $120 :)

Yes,but,that loom alone isnt enough..You'll need secondary loom (connects primary loom to after market unit + brand dependent link cable),all up approx. $150.

benckie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
I recently brought a VT wagon after my ford was written off by the insurance company before they picked it up i removed all my stereo equipment out of the ford after finding this thread, i put the commodore speaks in the ford with a cheap CD playing i had lying around and thought ill install my stereo gear into the VT.

Since the VT had the stock double din stereo and speakers it was a supper easy install of the head unit took me about 10 Min's max to test and install my single din pioneer DEH-7250SD head unit, using pioneer ISO and a VT/VX ISO wiring harnesses with single din plastic pocket brought off eBay with express shipping, postage was about 3 days to w.a, it did cost me just under $50 for the two ISO harnesses and the plastic pocket with postage but it saved me hours of work, cutting, soldering, heat shrinking and finding wires like i normally do.

To connect my pioneer 6 inch speakers in the doors of my VT wagon only took about 1.5 hours (new to VT,s and there door locks) the speakers where a direct fit with no problem and i used male electrical terminals for the VT speaker plugs in the doors so there was no cutting of the stock speaker wires in the VT I just made up short leads from my pioneer speakers with these terminals circled in red and plugged them into the Vt,s speaker plugs.

electrical-terminal-lugs.jpg

These are the parts off eBay i used and i can recommend.

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

Other VT/VX stereo gear

eBay: 1stopcaraudio

You could of done it a bit cheaper then i did if you only used a VT/VX wiring harness with plastic pocket and soldered your after market stereo harness to it, but i was happy to spend the extra to have a quick plug and play hassle free stereo install.

The finshed product.

Copyof100_6413.jpg

Now it sounds 1000 x better then the stock unit and stock speakers, we can charge and listen to music from our iphones plus the stereo auto mutes when you receive a call, plus the added features and we have more dash storage space, the only problem was with the pioneer ISO wire harness to it did not have the orange/white wire from my pioneer stereo that dim,s the stereo lights when you dim the dash lights like i had it wired up in my falcon, i could of added the wire myself but i didn't not think it was a big deal.

And now when we sell the car we can just unplug the pioneer head unit and slide the old one back it and every thing will work as is as i didn't have to cut any wires up and out of all the stereo installs Ive done this is the first time Ive used ISO wire harnesses, yes they might cost you a bit more to start with but save you a load of time, its so simple just plug and play and if you decide to sell the car just unplug and plug back in the original unit.

The hardest part of the install for me was finding a old wire coat hanger as we only had plastic ones, but i used wire curtin hangers, the eBay store i brought the ISO harnesses from had them forsale but i didn't think it was worth it but they did have some kits that includes them.

P,s i have nothing to do with the eBay store I'm not a friend nore do i own or run the store i live on the other side of the country i just found there prices where cheaper then the local store who did not have my head units ISO or a VT harness in stock.

Great thread thank's for the inspiration