Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it a Holden ? No it's a Chevrolet !

JoshSvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Sedan - The Beige Bandit!
I agree with Chev badges on Holdens is wrong. The engine is a GM engine anyway correct? I dont see people going around with GM badges on there car.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
I agree with Chev badges on Holdens is wrong. The engine is a GM engine anyway correct? I dont see people going around with GM badges on there car.

Thanks for that insightful observation and comment.

1TUFVS

High Ambitions, Low Funds
Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VS Acclaim
VE Commodores are exported to North America as the Chevrolet Lumina, but do they slap Holden badges on them?

Keep it Australian.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
VE Commodores are exported to North America as the Chevrolet Lumina,

They are? Not quite. The Chev Lumina is the name given to the VE in the Middle East. It isn't exported to the States as a Chev - yet. That's what this thread is about. Get your facts straight before you make such an incorrect statement, especially when you have just joined the forum.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I don't think so. Prior to the Pontiac G8 version of the VE, the only Holdens sent to the mainland USA for sale in that mariket were the Pontiac GTO versions of the Monaro. I'm sure no four door Holdens were marketed there as they would have competed with existing Chevrolet models and would also have required extensive re-engineering for the US market.

I think the VY and VZ models were exported to Brazil and were Chevrolet Lumina's for that market, as well as the Middle East. Those exports to Brazil ceased some time ago, prior to the VE introduction, I think. To my knowledge, prior to the G8, the only four door Holdens ever sold in the United States were during the mid 1960's with the HD, which was exported to Hawaii. Other models around that time might have gone there too.

Exports of the Commodore are about to resume to Brazil now that they have been re-engineered to run on E85.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Ah well, I knew there was a VY Lumina exported. To where, I didn't know. Not that I was loosing sleep :p

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
Ah well, I knew there was a VY Lumina exported. To where, I didn't know. Not that I was loosing sleep :p

the middle east i think. im pretty sure they even had VTs in the middle east. i may be wrong but meh

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
The VY/VZ's were sent over to the USA as a Lumina.

The only "Commodores" of that era to go to USA was the Monaro that was rebadged as a GTO with a nose job and fuel tank relocated to behind the rear seat in the boot. No sedans complied with US crash regs.

The badge "Lumina" was used for middle east exports and local value added packs.

Reaper

1TUFVS

High Ambitions, Low Funds
Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VS Acclaim
They are? Not quite. The Chev Lumina is the name given to the VE in the Middle East. It isn't exported to the States as a Chev - yet. That's what this thread is about. Get your facts straight before you make such an incorrect statement, especially when you have just joined the forum.

Sorry, didn't realize that the small mistake of typing "North America" instead of South Africa or Middle East was "Such an incorrect statement" - it's 2 words for crying out loud. I'll ensure that I'm perfect in the future, just for you.

Fact is that despite my mistake, the argument still stands. People are badging Holdens as Chevrolets, so why aren't South Africans badging theirs as Holdens?