Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it a Holden ? No it's a Chevrolet !

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Doesn't make it a good reason.

If you don't like it, don't read it.

It's a bit late once I've already read it lol!

I joined this thread because it was originally about Holden potentially exporting the Commodore to the States as a Chevrolet.

...Not about why Australian Commodore ownwers shouldn't put Chev badges on their cars - that's been done to death.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
So, instead of continuing a discussion, we should just let the thread die?

Bugger everyone else who's enjoying the discussion.

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
Hmmm is that a CHEV badge I see on the front of that left hand drive Holden????

Attachments

• cop.JPG
    cop.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 242

1TUFVS

High Ambitions, Low Funds
Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VS Acclaim
The reason people would want to put a Holden badge onto a Holden built car in the US or some other Holden export market is easy to understand, because the Holden brand is virtually unknown overseas and the Holden insignia is individual and distinctive. Generally, with a few minor exceptions, Holdens have been sold overseas as Chevs, Pontiacs or Vauxhalls, so badging them as Holdens adds to the interest of the car for enthusiasts. It also makes sense because that's what the car really is - a Holden, not a Chev, Vauxhall or Pontiac.

However, putting Chev or Vauxhall (or Buick or Nissan) badges on a Holden in the Australian market doesn't work because all of those brands have been marketed here for years and are well known. There is no rarity or enthusiast interest or support for doing so. In addition, the car is actually a Holden, with only the engine originating from another manufacturer.

Hit the nail on the head.

I agree with soop, let it die.

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Why wont Holden export their Commodores as a "Holden Commodore" ? Why is the car sold under a different brand name in different countries? Here in the Middle East, it's a called a Chevrolet Lumina, chev badges and all. To be honest I knew nothing about the Aussie car until I did a research on my VZ Commodore, and that's when I was introduced to Holden.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Why wont Holden export their Commodores as a "Holden Commodore" ? Why is the car sold under a different brand name in different countries? Here in the Middle East, it's a called a Chevrolet Lumina, chev badges and all. To be honest I knew nothing about the Aussie car until I did a research on my VZ Commodore, and that's when I was introduced to Holden.

You just answered your own question.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
You just answered your own question.

no he didnt, he made a couple of questions and a couple of observation statements, he didnt actually answer his questions though.

to answer the question, an idea i have is that in australia holden is a trusted brand, in america and the middle east chevrolet is a trusted brand. it makes sense for holden to sell the commodore as a chevrolet in america and the middle east as it is being sold through an already trusted brand. if holden set up overseas they would have to build up trust with the market before sales would really pick up, plus they would have to deal with all the financial costs of opening up a new business overseas when they can just use chevrolets resources. plus chevrolet, holden etc are all just sister companys under the gm brand so really theyre all the same company in a way. thats my 2c

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Errrr, yes he did...

"To be honest, I knew nothing about the Aussie car......."

THAT'S why it's not sold as a Holden. Unknown (and therefore untrusted) brand, especially in places like the USA. Hence the known brand, Chevrolet is used.