Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
"Labor's basic problem is that it has revealed to the Australian public in the last few weeks that it thinks the public's money is available to the government for a smash and grab raid if the government needs it,''
"I just think that's dead wrong.''

Someone influential said this in the last couple of days. Anyone like to guess who it was?

Before I tell you, those words are the most profound truth. Everyone take heed!!!

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'm guessing it was Simon Crean. He has been very candid and critical about Labor's performance recently.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
I'm guessing it was Simon Crean. He has been very candid and critical about Labor's performance recently.

Good guess, it actually wouldn't surprise me if it was Crean who said that, however, it wasn't Crean.

It was Tony Abbott.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Good guess, it actually wouldn't surprise me if it was Crean who said that, however, it wasn't Crean.

It was Tony Abbott.

I don't see your point??? Whilst I agree with the sentiment, we have to wait and see what LNP are offering, from what I have seen so far is not much behind. If it did come from Crean it would be massive news.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
I don't see your point??? Whilst I agree with the sentiment, we have to wait and see what LNP are offering, from what I have seen so far is not much behind. If it did come from Crean it would be massive news.

Correct, we don't know what the Libs are offering yet.

The point is only really one sided, based on the proposals from ALP for Superannuation, that statement from Abbott I quoted sort of sums up my feelings towards ALP and the proposals.

It's too early to tell yet, but early indications are that the Libs won't alter superannuation, but will go ahead with the raising of the concessional tax caps. (not the tax, raising the limit from $25,000 - $35,000 or even $50,000 for tax deductible/concessional contributions to super).

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hmmm, well, coming from Abbott, it's not such a big deal. We would expect him to make statements of that nature.

Crean, on the other hand, has made it clear he is extremely unhappy with the Labor brand at present and it appears that only loyalty to Labor ideals prevents him from taking an opposing view in parliament and crossing the floor on some issues. I am sure he would like to say more but that loyalty prevents him from doing so. I also suspect that he knows all is lost in the election and is hoping that Gillard is not only deposed as PM, but also removed from politics altogether by the constituents in her electorate. Deep down, I suspect he really resents the woman.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Hmmm, well, coming from Abbott, it's not such a big deal. We would expect him to make statements of that nature.

Crean, on the other hand, has made it clear he is extremely unhappy with the Labor brand at present and it appears that only loyalty to Labor ideals prevents him from taking an opposing view in parliament and crossing the floor on some issues. I am sure he would like to say more but that loyalty prevents him from doing so. I also suspect that he knows all is lost in the election and is hoping that Gillard is not only deposed as PM, but also removed from politics altogether by the constituents in her electorate. Deep down, I suspect he really resents the woman.

Is this the same Simon Crean that repeatedly talks about destabilizing influences in the government? The same one that called for a leadership spill? The same one that keeps bringing the subject up, when the rest of the government just wants to move on with trying to win an election that cant be won?

The same one with obvious leadership aspirations who would like nothing more than for the government to fall in a heap so he can get the (future leader of the opposition) job eventually and maybe get lucky and be PM in a few years time?

Loyalty :rofl2:

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01

You could tell it wasn't Crean as soon as he said "those words are the most profound truth" because he'd never say that about any Labor politician. You can tell it's Abbott because it's incorrect.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Is this the same Simon Crean that repeatedly talks about destabilizing influences in the government? The same one that called for a leadership spill? The same one that keeps bringing the subject up, when the rest of the government just wants to move on with trying to win an election that cant be won?

The same one with obvious leadership aspirations who would like nothing more than for the government to fall in a heap so he can get the (future leader of the opposition) job eventually and maybe get lucky and be PM in a few years time?

Loyalty :rofl2:

Daks

I think it's obvious that Crean sees the damage Gillard has done to Labor's credibility and reputation. I don't believe that he sees himself as the next Labor leader as he has already been there once and was less than successful. I'm actually naiive enough to credit the man with sufficient integrity to be publically criticising Gillard because he has had enough of her poor leadership, yet is surrounded by others who can't seem to find the courage to admit they made a chronic mistake putting her in charge. I think Shorten's support for her is laughable, but then, he's one of the architects of her promotion, isn't he? His backdown a few months back when he said one thing and Gillard immediately contradicted him, was some of the best comedy seen on TV for years and probably cut short any thoughts some might have had about his leadership potential. He didn't look or sound like a leader - more like a rabbit caught in the headlights of an oncoming Mack.

You question Crean's loyalty to the party. He is one of the longest serving members of parliament in the government and has been a staunch Labor man throughout that time. I think he's as entitled as anybody to express his concerns about government policy and its leadership, without his loyalty being questioned. It's a pity others of his "team" lack his courage to be so open in displaying his dismay at the direction the Government is taking. The fact that he put himself forward as a potential deputy under Rudd in the event of a successful spill might indicate leadership aspirations, but let's be honest here, the leadership issues are not just about Gillard. Swan is as much a part of the problem and simply overturning Gillard leaves the Deputy position in question too. A spill would inevitably have involved both PM and Deputy, so merely supporting Rudd and ignoring the Deputy position didn't make sense. Besides, Crean would know that nominating as Deputy would have been a long shot.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Daks

I think it's obvious that Crean sees the damage Gillard has done to Labor's credibility and reputation. I don't believe that he sees himself as the next Labor leader as he has already been there once and was less than successful. I'm actually naiive enough to credit the man with sufficient integrity to be publically criticising Gillard because he has had enough of her poor leadership, yet is surrounded by others who can't seem to find the courage to admit they made a chronic mistake putting her in charge. I think Shorten's support for her is laughable, but then, he's one of the architects of her promotion, isn't he? His backdown a few months back when he said one thing and Gillard immediately contradicted him, was some of the best comedy seen on TV for years and probably cut short any thoughts some might have had about his leadership potential. He didn't look or sound like a leader - more like a rabbit caught in the headlights of an oncoming Mack.

You question Crean's loyalty to the party. He is one of the longest serving members of parliament in the government and has been a staunch Labor man throughout that time. I think he's as entitled as anybody to express his concerns about government policy and its leadership, without his loyalty being questioned. It's a pity others of his "team" lack his courage to be so open in displaying his dismay at the direction the Government is taking. The fact that he put himself forward as a potential deputy under Rudd in the event of a successful spill might indicate leadership aspirations, but let's be honest here, the leadership issues are not just about Gillard. Swan is as much a part of the problem and simply overturning Gillard leaves the Deputy position in question too. A spill would inevitably have involved both PM and Deputy, so merely supporting Rudd and ignoring the Deputy position didn't make sense. Besides, Crean would know that nominating as Deputy would have been a long shot.

I have always thought since the 2010 election was 'just' won and Julia's backflip (due to strategic reasons...) on the Carbox tax cause huge amount of discontent in the community ALP should have switched over to Rudd ages ago. He is by far the preferred ALP PM according to the polls. The only way ALP has any remote chance of winning the election was if Rudd as leader, but they blew that chance a few weeks ago with the leadership spill. Crean got the spill happening and Rudd's refusal to run left Crean hanging in the wind. Crean as leader? He could bring some unity to the party but he also lost the 2001 election for ALP as I recall.

You can still be a 'devout' ALP supporter and be unhappy with the leadership...ALP membership is in the thousands, yet only 70 or so people in ALP caucus get to decide who the leader of the party is. This system of party leadership protocol could leave thousands of faithful party supporters disenfranchised. However I'd say the same thing happens in pretty much all parties, it would depend on the constitution.

Anyway while we are on politics, on Sunday did the Canberra marathon, first 10km was a loop around parlimentary triangle, including a full lap of parliament house itself (old and new ones). A lack of portaloos at the start means in years gone by runners have relieved themseleves outside the parliament building itself (is at the 5-6.5km mark on both half and full marathons). You could also say such action is a mark of protest! I gave a shout-out to Julia and Tony on my way around anyhow.....