Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I find that very hard to believe. BB finished on channel 10 in 2008. Either way, I'd presume it came from the tourism budget in an effort to promote Qld. No real difference to the Vic government tipping in to get MasterChef to Victoria. All thru the series they plugged the heck out of Melbourne & Victoria.

My mistake, channel 9 not channel 10. And it was the 2012 season.

Were I you I would be pissed off about Master Chef for the same reasons. A terrible waste of money and I don't for the life of me see how you can defend it. I just don't buy the 'plugging Melbourne and Victoria' BS and you know damn well that it makes sweet FA difference to the rest of Australia if someone mentions the state a million times a day. Its not going to increase tourism or any other industry one iota. Zip. Or were they offering people free pastries to come and visit? :rofl2:

Hard to say without seeing the details but maybe the benefit to Qld was not as high as BB?

The Literary Awards were cut to save $244,000, just $44,000 more than was given to the producers of Big Brother. The Government’s defence for the Big Brother cash splash was about the jobs that it would create for Queensland. Except, they weren’t Queensland jobs ― they were Gold Coast jobs. And no jobs were created, channel 9 just added a little more to the bottom line of the show that was already in preproduction when they got the money. Next defence was about it being a tourism boost ― again, for the Gold Coast.

Again, as you say, there is more to it than that. The original agreement was actually with the Bligh Govt, but no contracts had been signed, and there was nothing that needed to be honoured. Why not just say 'hey we cant afford it, pay for your own production costs'?

It was Newmans govt that actually committed and signed contracts. I thought they were stopping the waste of money that undeniably was the Bligh Govt? Newmans Govt is only concerned with SEQ, the rest of the state doesn't exist to him, so if he believes its good for business in SEQ, no problems, here is some cash. Or I suspect in this case, someone in the industry had his ear. He makes some pretty weird decisions that I can only put down to the buddy system.

EDIT: of course its not actually channel 9 that got the cash, its the production company that sold the program to channel 9 when when 10 didn't want it any more. Makes no difference, it still shouldn't have happened. I wonder if the Newman family or any of their friends have any shares...

In what way is Big Brother a tourism boost? Sure, some fools might want to visit the famous Big Brother house.. while they were in the area. I seriously doubt anyone booked tickets from anywhere specifically to do so.

The literary awards didn't happen, period. They would have generated at least some income for the area in which they were being held (sorry not sure and CBF looking it up), but there is more benefit to the state than simply cash that comes along with such things.

If you don't have it, you shouldn't be spending it.

Yep, lets slash the education budget. If you haven't got it, don't spend it. You are joking right? Education and Health are the two most important functions of government. Or do you want a whole new generation of the dole bludgers you so happily put **** on every day?

Are you sure there is not more to it?? I doubt govco would be simply buying private corporation bins. Maybe there is however you aren't posting it as it doesn't suit your argument?

Sure, of course there is more to it. End result though is that 40 grand of taxpayers money is going to a major multinational corporation to help clean up the mess their customers create. Absolute crap. This offends me. Let them buy their own ####ing bins.

Newman Government Gives $40,000 To KFC For Recycling Bins

As for me posting only that which suits my argument, when you guys stop choosing selective reports on the stuff that interests you, I'll do the same. I have never seen you post anything which supports something you dont agree with.. human nature of course. We are all guilty of quoting those things which support our own views.

Last edited:

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Your link is a waste of time. It has 1 valid point about raising income and points directly at the rich for increased taxes. For this particular case I'd tend to agree as tax rates for upper income earners in NA are extremely generous. In Australia it's exactly the opposite. When it comes to raising the income side of things we need to spread the load substantially.

As for the rest of the article it's a long justification of bad money management practices. Sure NA have had some terrible natural disasters to overcome and some borrowing may be required to overcome them. The problem is that America is borrowing for nearly everything and Australia is trending the same way. Most people will borrow for large capital purchases (eg house, car etc) but when you are borrowing to pay for cloths, food, electricity etc month in month out eventually there is going to be a problem. America has been doing it for decades and Australasia is heading that way.

When I said "you haven't read the articles" I meant the ones from economists. You choose to reply only to the one I tacked on later that addresses a more realistic scenario than the picture you posted, which was also from America funnily enough.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
A problem with our debt is we buy so much crap that is imported that we literally have money leaving the country, never to return.

Thanks free trade.....

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
A problem with our debt is we buy so much crap that is imported that we literally have money leaving the country, never to return.

Thanks free trade.....

Have to agree with this comment. One has only to walk through a "Hot Dollar" or similar store, and there seems to be one in every shopping centre these days, and look at the utter garbage lining the shelves, all of it emanating from China or somewhere else in South East Asia. Why the hell we import this trash escapes me. I can understand cheap jams from Denmark or the old Soviet Bloc countries as part of barter/trade, but cheap and nasty plastic junk that serves no purpose whatsoever? Why?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
When I said "you haven't read the articles" I meant the ones from economists. You choose to reply only to the one I tacked on later that addresses a more realistic scenario than the picture you posted, which was also from America funnily enough.

So your link was a better explanation of the pic or not??? Call the explanation what you like, it doesn't change the basic premise of continually spending more than you are receiving will eventually send you, your company, your state, country, whatever BROKE! If you have an economist who seriously argues the contrary then they should hand back their degree.

My mistake, channel 9 not channel 10. And it was the 2012 season.

Were I you I would be pissed off about Master Chef for the same reasons. A terrible waste of money and I don't for the life of me see how you can defend it. I just don't buy the 'plugging Melbourne and Victoria' BS and you know damn well that it makes sweet FA difference to the rest of Australia if someone mentions the state a million times a day. Its not going to increase tourism or any other industry one iota. Zip. Or were they offering people free pastries to come and visit? :rofl2:

The Literary Awards were cut to save $244,000, just $44,000 more than was given to the producers of Big Brother. The Government’s defence for the Big Brother cash splash was about the jobs that it would create for Queensland. Except, they weren’t Queensland jobs ― they were Gold Coast jobs. And no jobs were created, channel 9 just added a little more to the bottom line of the show that was already in preproduction when they got the money. Next defence was about it being a tourism boost ― again, for the Gold Coast.

Again, as you say, there is more to it than that. The original agreement was actually with the Bligh Govt, but no contracts had been signed, and there was nothing that needed to be honoured. Why not just say 'hey we cant afford it, pay for your own production costs'?

It was Newmans govt that actually committed and signed contracts. I thought they were stopping the waste of money that undeniably was the Bligh Govt? Newmans Govt is only concerned with SEQ, the rest of the state doesn't exist to him, so if he believes its good for business in SEQ, no problems, here is some cash. Or I suspect in this case, someone in the industry had his ear. He makes some pretty weird decisions that I can only put down to the buddy system.

In what way is Big Brother a tourism boost? Sure, some fools might want to visit the famous Big Brother house.. while they were in the area. I seriously doubt anyone booked tickets from anywhere specifically to do so.

The literary awards didn't happen, period. They would have generated at least some income for the area in which they were being held (sorry not sure and CBF looking it up), but there is more benefit to the state than simply cash that comes along with such things.

It comes down to weather advertising works or not. Plenty of people say no (even me at times) however companies pay a lot of money for sports sponsorships, product placement etc etc. It has gone on for a long time and there is no doubt they wouldn't be doing it if it didn't work. I'll use the MasterChef example as I didn't watch BB to know how QLD was promoted. Would anybody attend (say) Melbourne because MC is taped there? No, of course not. Would they have a better awareness of the place if they had never been here before? Yes. Could that put Melbourne into consideration next time they are looking at a holiday (or even a quick get away). I would think the answer is yes.

Yep, lets slash the education budget. If you haven't got it, don't spend it. You are joking right? Education and Health are the two most important functions of government. Or do you want a whole new generation of the dole bludgers you so happily put **** on every day?

I clearly don't mean to shut the education and Health systems right down. With both being huge cost centres to the states, I'd suspect it's inevitable they have a haircut. Any idea how much as a % of the entire education budget they actually cut?

Sure, of course there is more to it. End result though is that 40 grand is going to a major multinational corporation to help clean up the mess their customers create. Absolute crap. This offends me. Let them buy their own ####ing bins.

Newman Government Gives $40,000 To KFC For Recycling Bins

It doesn't read particularly well and I probably wouldn't have done it that way however to say that Newman directly gave KFC $40k for bins is misleading at the very least

As for me posting only that which suits my argument, when you guys stop choosing selective reports on the stuff that interests you, I'll do the same. I have never seen you post anything which supports something you dont agree with.. human nature of course. We are all guilty of quoting those things which support our own views.

When there is something there that doesn't support my argument I usually acknowledge it (I even did it in the post you replied to!). I am very careful to post the whole story and not selected parts. It is somewhat funny when people try to justify a poor behaviour by pulling out "everybody else does it" card.

Thanks free trade.....

What you are talking about there is balance of payments which is very different. Australia imports roughly 6% more goods than what we export (by value). It is mostly made up by private industry which may or may not be paid for via credit and has nothing to do with sovereign debt.

Have to agree with this comment. One has only to walk through a "Hot Dollar" or similar store, and there seems to be one in every shopping centre these days, and look at the utter garbage lining the shelves, all of it emanating from China or somewhere else in South East Asia. Why the hell we import this trash escapes me. I can understand cheap jams from Denmark or the old Soviet Bloc countries as part of barter/trade, but cheap and nasty plastic junk that serves no purpose whatsoever? Why?

Because people buy said junk $2 at a time millions of times per year :bang:

Last edited:

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
It comes down to weather advertising works or not. Plenty of people say no (even me at times) however companies pay a lot of money for sports sponsorships, product placement etc etc. It has gone on for a long time and there is no doubt they wouldn't be doing it if it didn't work. I'll use the MasterChef example as I didn't watch BB to know how QLD was promoted. Would anybody attend (say) Melbourne because MC is taped there? No, of course not. Would they have a better awareness of the place if they had never been here before? Yes. Could that put Melbourne into consideration next time they are looking at a holiday (or even a quick get away). I would think the answer is yes.

I clearly don't mean to shut the education and Health systems right down. With both being huge cost centres to the states, I'd suspect it's inevitable they have a haircut. Any idea how much as a % of the entire education budget they actually cut?

It doesn't read particularly well and I probably wouldn't have done it that way however to say that Newman directly gave KFC $40k for bins is misleading at the very least

When there is something there that doesn't support my argument I usually acknowledge it (I even did it in the post you replied to!). I am very careful to post the whole story and not selected parts. It is somewhat funny when people try to justify a poor behaviour by pulling out "everybody else does it" card.

'Would they have a better awareness of the place if they had never been here before? Yes. Could that put Melbourne into consideration next time they are looking at a holiday (or even a quick get away). I would think the answer is yes.'

I think most Australians are aware of Melbourne. I would think the answer is no.

I provided a link with the full story on the bin debacle, so I don't believe I have been misleading at all. The end result is identical, 40 grand of taxpayers money is going to buy bins for KFC. The title of the link is simply the title of the page I linked to. I could have posted a link to a less objective article of course.. like this one.

I could go further and say why are we giving money to anyone to provide recycling, and not bother at all with the APC. Just make it a law, its your rubbish, deal with it. I have to pay to dispose of my rubbish, even if I deliver it to the dump personally.

You acknowledge when something doesn't support your argument. So do I. You sure as hell don't post it, unless you have already decided the bias was in your favour. How do you justify your similarly 'poor behaviour'?

Last edited:

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
So your link was a better explanation of the pic or not??? Call the explanation what you like, it doesn't change the basic premise of continually spending more than you are receiving will eventually send you, your company, your state, country, whatever BROKE! If you have an economist who seriously argues the contrary then they should hand back their degree.

Neither are an explanation, both are poor analogies, one is just so much more so and is intended to mislead people, propaganda, if you like. If you really want to equate National/family then you'd have to run your family totally differently. This may be a long read(tl;dr?) but it's a good read to explain how our money system works using family members.
Daily Kos: Comparing the Federal Government's budget to a Household

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
'Would they have a better awareness of the place if they had never been here before? Yes. Could that put Melbourne into consideration next time they are looking at a holiday (or even a quick get away). I would think the answer is yes.'

I think most Australians are aware of Melbourne. I would think the answer is no.

I had to lol at that! Too true.

I provided a link with the full story on the bin debacle, so I don't believe I have been misleading at all. The end result is identical, 40 grand of taxpayers money is going to buy bins for KFC. The title of the link is simply the title of the page I linked to. I could have posted a link to a less objective article of course.. like this one.

Remember, it's only welfare when you give it to people that need it.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

Most Australians are aware of Coles supermarkets too. By your reasoning them sponsoring the program and having their brand flashed all over it is a complete and utter waste of money too. I bow to your superior marketing knowledge :bang:

I could go further and say why are we giving money to anyone to provide recycling, and not bother at all with the APC. Just make it a law, its your rubbish, deal with it. I have to pay to dispose of my rubbish, even if I deliver it to the dump personally.

You acknowledge when something doesn't support your argument. So do I. You sure as hell don't post it, unless you have already decided the bias was in your favour. How do you justify your similarly 'poor behaviour'?[/QUOTE]

Neither are an explanation, both are poor analogies, one is just so much more so and is intended to mislead people, propaganda, if you like. If you really want to equate National/family then you'd have to run your family totally differently. This may be a long read(tl;dr?) but it's a good read to explain how our money system works using family members.
Daily Kos: Comparing the Federal Government's budget to a Household

Yeah cool story bro. It seems to forget that government issued bonds (one of the methods by which govco borrows money) eventually become worthless as their debt level (and risk of default) increases. Further, if it were so easy as the article suggests, why is Greece and much of europe effectively broke? All that rolling economic trainwreck that is much of Europe was just made up? Further, do a bit of research to the long term effects of countries that simply print more money. Britten and USA did it to a limited extent recently during the financial crisis and seem to have gotten away with it. Other countries have tried it more often with disastrous results over history.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Because people buy said junk $2 at a time millions of times per year :bang:

I was dragged into one today.. I asked why and tried to protest but was informed by the wife that she needed balloons for a birthday. Whose birthday I asked? Merrylyn's, I am informed. I say but she's 30 years old! Needless to say we left $4 lighter. I suppose I'm guilty too by my reluctance to drag her to a store that stocked Australian made balloons, is there such a thing?