Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Wow...sadly people would believe this absolute **** that someone writes.

No doubt this user has found a snippet posted somewhere with half truths, maybe the greens website?

Umm......
greens have no position on religion in general and taxation thereof.
At least as I understand

Last edited:

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
I'd just like to add a little observation that I took note of today.

my disabled nephew suffered a major seizure today. So here I was in the emergency room waiting area with his mother at PMH children's hospital as they stabilised him, I witnessed a woman bring her child to the triage nurse. she said her kid had a ear ache and her local GP gave her some tablets to take that "didn't seem to do anything". the nurse asked why she did not take her child back to the GP and the mother's reply was that "they don't bulk bill and she didn't want to have to go through the hassle of making a appointment". the nurse told her to sit and they took care of more urgent patents. all the time the mother getting visibly agitated at having been bumped to the bottom. I also saw a father bring in his daughter who had a sprained ankle. but the nurses and doctors still had to treat them.

I recall that one of the COA's recommendations was to charge a fee with bulk billing. won't this just force people to go to the ER instead? I'm aware that they probably would charge the same fee at the ER too, but it still wastes time and resources of hospital staff having to see patients that could be seen by a GP. even though it costs patents who don't need to be there money, in a hospital time is a far more important commodity. and considering it's a children's hospital, having your toddler wait in a waiting room for several hours because what they had wrong with them wasn't as "important" as other people coming in, I would think be stressful for a child that doesn't understand.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2

my disabled nephew suffered a major seizure today. So here I was in the emergency room waiting area with his mother at PMH children's hospital as they stabilised him, I witnessed a woman bring her child to the triage nurse. she said her kid had a ear ache and her local GP gave her some tablets to take that "didn't seem to do anything". the nurse asked why she did not take her child back to the GP and the mother's reply was that "they don't bulk bill and she didn't want to have to go through the hassle of making a appointment". the nurse told her to sit and they took care of more urgent patents. all the time the mother getting visibly agitated at having been bumped to the bottom. I also saw a father bring in his daughter who had a sprained ankle. but the nurses and doctors still had to treat them.

I recall that one of the COA's recommendations was to charge a fee with bulk billing. won't this just force people to go to the ER instead? I'm aware that they probably would charge the same fee at the ER too, but it still wastes time and resources of hospital staff having to see patients that could be seen by a GP. even though it costs patents who don't need to be there money, in a hospital time is a far more important commodity. and considering it's a children's hospital, having your toddler wait in a waiting room for several hours because what they had wrong with them wasn't as "important" as other people coming in, I would think be stressful for a child that doesn't understand.

I agree. This sort of thing is only going to increase with every additional financial impost levied against people. The problem is that medical care is extremely expensive and there are often not enough GP's in many areas, so waiting lists for visits can amount to weeks for the simplest complaints. Doctors fees often exceed the Medicare rebate by substantial amounts and this gap is increasing all the time. Private health insurance, particularly for hospital treatment, is simply unaffordable for many and only affordable for others because of the Federal Government rebate. Even the top level of cover with most funds leaves you severely out of pocket for private hospital treatment.

Against this, you have the grossly overloaded public hospital system where treatment is free. The downside is usually long waits in an uninviting waiting room alongside other injured and sick people, and often being bumped down the waiting list even further by more urgent cases that arrive after you have been triaged. Perhaps a fee equivalent to the Medicare scheduled fee for a GP visit, needs to be added to ER visits for non-urgent cases as well? That at least might keep some people away from ER's and push them back towards the GP's, where the consultation is at least more personal and private.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride

The COA seemed to lack a grasp of reality in a general sense, as far as the common human being was involved. After all. Apparently it was run by company CEOs. I believe there was no input from welfare groups, charities, but am open to correction on this point.

To show what we are dealing with here even Margaret Thatcher left the NHS in the UK alone. That speaks volumes of the ideology of the COA.

From what it appears this budget will be a massive cluster####. Best thing to do will be for senate to block supply and force a double dissolution. It'll be like 1975 but from the opposite direction.

Tony Abbott.... Most dishonest PM in living memory.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The COA seemed to lack a grasp of reality in a general sense, as far as the common human being was involved. After all. Apparently it was run by company CEOs. I believe there was no input from welfare groups, charities, but am open to correction on this point.

To show what we are dealing with here even Margaret Thatcher left the NHS in the UK alone. That speaks volumes of the ideology of the COA.

From what it appears this budget will be a massive cluster####. Best thing to do will be for senate to block supply and force a double dissolution. It'll be like 1975 but from the opposite direction.

Tony Abbott.... Most dishonest PM in living memory.

Like all conservative voters, I wanted this Government to rein in the rampant expenditure and ensure that our economy was placed on a secure footing for future generations. Until recently, I was reasonably confident they were capable of doing so. Now, after listening to and reading numerous media reports from both sides of the fence, I'm less confident.

At this stage, it certainly appears that the Audit has made numerous harsh recommendations but only some will be taken up by the Government. (Sort of reminds me of the Henry Tax Review). I think Abbott has made a huge blunder with his pathetic explanation for the "debt levy" and I have heard other Ministers claiming that the electorate will understand and appreciate what the Government is trying to do. Well, no, I don't think they will be quite so accommodating.

Calling Abbott dishonest is probably not the most accurate description, but he has dug an enormous hole for his government by his pre-election undertakings not to increase taxes, abolish two taxes, not touch this, not cut that, implement an unaffordably generous PPL scheme, etc. I don't doubt that he actually meant what he said pre-election but has had to take a serious reality check when faced with the financial facts since winning office. He needs to recant his promises, admit they were unworkable or inappropriate at this time, and basically admit he was wrong. It would be a huge backflip for any politician (and is therefore extremely unlikely to happen), but it would at least show the electorate that he realised his mistakes. Instead, we got the idiotic explanation that the debt levy wasn't a new tax because it would only last four years. What bullshit. That sort of hubris is treating the electorate like idiots and it can only end badly for him. If, as has been suggested, Medicare is canned/privatised or whatever, I can see it being the death of this Government.

I have to agree though that the outlook for the budget is not good. It WILL be harsh, it WILL hurt lots of people, it WILL make some difference to the economy, but I doubt that it will achieve what is required because it will probably fail to cut deeply enough into expenditure, whilst relying excessively on increasing revenue.

One final comment. Do I think that Labor would have done things better? No, not in a month of Sundays. It is their utter incompetence and stupidity that placed the economy where it is today. Swan demonstrated time and time again that he had no answers for the rampant spending of his Government, with utterly inaccurate budget forecasts one after the other for nearly six years. Bowen might have been better that Swan as a Treasurer, but so could Donald Duck, and I doubt that his appointment as Treasurer would have changed things greatly.

Last edited:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
It comes down to a philosophical argument about where you think our budget should be. Do we as a country (A) want government spending to be inline (or slightly lower) than income? Or are we happy to (B) spend more than we earn for the next few decades till our credit is extinguished and let whoever is in power then deal with the problem?

For those that choose (A) then feel free to explain to me how we can achieve this objective by maintaining the status quoe. For those that choose (B) then go buy a few books on basic economics and have a read.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Sounds very similar to the Costello future fund to me. Now if only somebody had the foresight to start one of them :unsure:
yes, true, lucky he had all those telstra shares with no where to go ...

Wow...sadly people would believe this absolute **** that someone writes.

No doubt this user has found a snippet posted somewhere with half truths, maybe the greens website?

Sanitarium pay all taxes except company profit tax. All profits are donated to the church which is then spent on charitable organisations. I am not a Seventh Day Adventist, however, telling 1/4 truths misleading people is just stupid.

Oh at last check, they were also Australian owned and operated according to their latest tender documents, more half truths eh?

Seems to be a common theme.

PS: You too can donate all your profits to a charity...my guess is you wont though.

Good to know, Thanks for taking the time,
but they're still not paying company profit tax, so 30% of x we don't get.
The onus should be on them to prove it all goes to charity.

Now onto multi nationals not paying their dues , if you could tell how much Australian tax Apple and google pay ...

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
yes, true, lucky he had all those telstra shares with no where to go ...

You would have preferred he piss them against a wall like his successors did???

Good to know, Thanks for taking the time,
but they're still not paying company profit tax, so 30% of x we don't get.
The onus should be on them to prove it all goes to charity.

There is nothing magical only available to big business here. *anybody* who donates to an approved charity is able to claim said donation as a tax deduction. That is business, private individuals, who ever. It's govco's way of encouraging philanthropy in the community. Are you saying they should stop it???

Now onto multi nationals not paying their dues , if you could tell how much Australian tax Apple and google pay ...

Now *that* is a far far more pertinent issue which really needs a global approach and is something the G20 leaders are currently grappling with.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride