Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jolls VY SS Ute Project (Jimi Hendrix)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
All solid steps and I like your methodical process.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I found another piece of the puzzle - but not the solution

When the ignition switch is turned from off to on, the BCM communicates with the PCM (via the PIM on vehicles with GEN III V8 engines) for a theft deterrent check. If the BCM does not receive an OK TO START message from the PCM within 0.5 second of the ignition ON signal, the BCM isolates the secondary/tertiary data bus.

Note: The primary data bus is used for BCM/PIM/PCM communication, the secondary data bus is used for all other modules less the SRS which is on the tertiary data bus.

Isolation of the secondary / tertiary data bus eliminates the possibility of a device failure, other than the BCM, PCM or PIM, causing a problem on the bus and inhibiting theft deterrent communications. This continues until the PCM responds with an acknowledgment or for a maximum of 5 seconds, after which the BCM switches to the standard polling sequence. Following successful anti-theft communications, the BCM begins sequential polling of devices on the bus and normal system operation is established.

This explains the serial data DTCs in the instrument cluster etc.

I polled the PCM for information using the SRS programming on the Tech 2 (it is called ECU on the Tech 2) and it returned the correct VIN. So my theory on it not being linked has been thrown out of the window.

So I started thinking about the PIM. I was dubious but took a punt on installing the VZ PIM just to see what would happen.

Once the VZ PIM was installed numerous DTCs were raised and the Tech 2 identified it up front as being incompatible with the VY. I could also see the VIN of the VZ shown clearly (the VY version is does not appear to be linked by the VIN).

So I put the old PIM back in and cleared all of the DTCs again; started with a clean slate.

Left the ignition on and watched and listened. The Tech 2 CANDi module clicked when the instrument cluster identified no comms with the radio and set the DTC. Nothing at all for five minutes so I checked for additional DTC; none other than the radio.

Turned the key

Crank, crank. crank - nothing

The standard 4 DTC reappeared. I'm not sure why there is a problem. I have the old VY PCM so if I can get the Tech2 /TIS 2000 working and can't get a result I will flash up the new VIN and see see how we go.

I'm still having positive thoughts Lex - don't seem to be helping too much though ;)

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
So yesterday was a shocker - had a several fails - zero wins.

My attempt to fix the centre dash pocket with Plastex failed. To be fair I am pretty sure it was my inexperience and I learnt a bit for next time. So maybe not a total fail if you look at it as a learning experience. If you want to find out more about it the writeup is here.

The battery with tabs for the fob arrived - it was soldered into place; but now the key does not work at all (even using the chip reader). So there is now a constant slip ring failure. It had a really bodgie solder "repair" done previously so I should have left it alone until I could get the second key up and running. I thought if I ger the battery in this may solve the entire problem. I didn't think the potential second and third order effects through. What an idiot.

It was then that I knocked over some **** in the shed and scratched and put a small dent in Jimi! I was very mad at myself at this point in time so I was greatful when son 1 turned up. He is a computer nerd by trade and donated an old laptop to upload the TIS2000 and the crack so I can look at the communications issue. I will also upload the manuals so I have a dedicated laptop in the shed. As Son 1 is a computer nerd by trade I thought this would be easy - download a copy of windows XP, load the TIS2000 software and the crack for the dongle and all good.

It turns out that the laptop is too new for XP so after a couple of hours of being frustrated by drivers not working properly etc we had a partial solution. We decided to scrap the XP solution (recommended for TIS 2000) and run with Windows 7 (which came on the laptop that we just wiped). So that is a today job. I have already downloaded a Windows 7 Professional S=ISO and it is loading in the background now.

So no steps forward yesterday and - one massive step back with the key. I am still waiting on a MAP key to arrive so I guess I will have to sit tight.

I may bite the bullet and see if a locksmith can help me out or buy a new key fob and see if I can use the Tech2 to to make a new one. the day is new and opportunities abound.

Wish me luck!

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Last edited:

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I was able to load a laptop with Global TIS2000 and can use it to remote the Tech 2 for diagnostics. I can't get the SPS function to work though - this is what is required to program modules. I expect it is because Global TIS2000 doesn't cover Holden. If anyone can help me out with getting a Tech 2 programming capability set up that would be gold.

Locksmith wants $120 callout, $120 for the key and $99 to program it ($339 for one key) and he can't do it until next week. I am waiting on the MAP Key and tool so with luck I will have a working key. If can get the Tech 2 authorisation I will buy a couple of keys and program them myself.

Not much else today - installed the centre dash pocket, trim and SAAS gauges.

A tiny step back in the right direction!

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Those MAP keys do my head in. Glitchy data at best. I have a bag of them that have failed.

Hopefully you have the codes with the car in the user manual. They are on business card. Will have radio, key, security etc.

If you get the security code, you can have a new key programmed from scratch that won’t have any data loss or problems.

I had several that failed to communicate with the locksmiths gear and they could not copy them to make a new one. So from the security code with the car a new key was created with no possibility of data error.

Now the MAP keys that would not communicate would still start the car most of the time. Hit and miss for unlocking.

New genuine key and every problem vapourised.

That was at MrMinut and cost $120 at the time with a genuine key.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Those MAP keys do my head in. Glitchy data at best. I have a bag of them that have failed.

Hopefully you have the codes with the car in the user manual. They are on business card. Will have radio, key, security etc.

If you get the security code, you can have a new key programmed from scratch that won’t have any data loss or problems.

I had several that failed to communicate with the locksmiths gear and they could not copy them to make a new one. So from the security code with the car a new key was created with no possibility of data error.

Now the MAP keys that would not communicate would still start the car most of the time. Hit and miss for unlocking.

New genuine key and every problem vapourised.

That was at MrMinut and cost $120 at the time with a genuine key.
Thanks for the advice. I don't have the BCM security code otherwise I would buy a genuine key head and program it with the Tech 2. From what I have read if you have the BCM security code you can do a new key without SPS authorisation. If you copy the key (MAP and Tech 2) you need authority to do so.

MAP key is on the way.

Genuine if it doesn't work with the locksmith coming to me and if it does work I will get a genuine key made by the locksmith when I take the car to him (if I ever get him running :D)

I trust that getting the key sorted solves all of the problems; however, I am not banking on it so I am continuing to look at how I can program with the Tech 2. I have a couple of irons in the fire:

1. I have reached out to AC Delco in the states to see if I can use their 2 year 1 VIN unlimited programming subscription on the VY and Tech 2. At AUD55 for two years if that solves the problem I'm all over it like white on rice.

2. I had the idea of building a virtual XP environment on the windows 7 laptop. However, it doesn't support virtualisation so that one is down the sink. Son 1 thinks he has an old XP laptop with a serial port that they were using to run early drones. They are on a pile to be disposed of so he will see his boss tomorrow. I may end up with an ex military ruggedised laptop - perfect for the shed. Downside is I will have to wait until the weekend to get my paws on it; that is if the boss nods north/south.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
You could make a visit to a Holden with proof of ownership. They can give you the codes required.

Might be a good chance to ask for a build sheet/print out for it too. I got one for the Cross 8 and they are really interesting.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Was the car running when you bought it?