Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kicker L7, Rockford D1 or Alpine Type X?

vinda69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Berlina II Supercharged
Just reread it and yeah it isn't very clear.
I want a mix between big bass and awesome quality, but more leaning on the bass.
If possible I am after just the cheapest one because unfortunately money doesn't grow on trees, and these three models seem to be the best sound for money.
Anywhere under roughly $900, or around there.

Thanks fo the help so far.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Just reread it and yeah it isn't very clear.
I want a mix between big bass and awesome quality, but more leaning on the bass.
If possible I am after just the cheapest one because unfortunately money doesn't grow on trees, and these three models seem to be the best sound for money.
Anywhere under roughly $900, or around there.

Thanks fo the help so far.

Do you have an amplifier for the subs, if not, do we have to factor that into the budget? Or is there additional funds for an amp?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
If your concerned about cash why not just get the best single sub you can afford. $900 sub imo will be far better than splitting the budget evenly between 2.

Not only will the sub itself sound better, but if output is your main goal then there are plenty of big bass subs at that price range, that once you hear them you'll wonder why you didn't go down that path in the first place.

vinda69

Reaction score
Members Ride
I meant $900 per sub...and the amp will be seperate, depending on what sub I end up getting.
Because I am saving for the sound system at them moment, but just getting opinions.
I have had a quote done than involved the following:

1 Alpine IVAD800E
1 Alpine NVEM300P
1 Alpine PXAH800
1 Alpine RUXC800
1 Pioneer TSC172PRS
1 Pioneer TSS062PRS
2 RockfordFosgate T0D415
2 RockfordFosgate T400 4
1 RockfordFosgate T25001BD

But that was a bit too pricey.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
I meant $900 per sub...and the amp will be seperate, depending on what sub I end up getting.
Because I am saving for the sound system at them moment, but just getting opinions.
I have had a quote done than involved the following:

1 Alpine IVAD800E
1 Alpine NVEM300P
1 Alpine PXAH800
1 Alpine RUXC800
1 Pioneer TSC172PRS
1 Pioneer TSS062PRS
2 RockfordFosgate T0D415
2 RockfordFosgate T400 4
1 RockfordFosgate T25001BD

But that was a bit too pricey.

If you're looking at a full system, give us a budget and we'll hook you up with much better options as far as the speakers, amps and subwoofers go. The source/processor really comes down to your own personal tastes.

Do you care about your rear passengers that much? If not, rear speakers aren't that necessary. Think of it like this, you're at a concert facing the stage, ideally you want the sound coming from infront of you, correct? Having rear speakers ruins your sound stage. The money from the rear speakers is much better when used to improve the front stage or installation.

$900 per sub will buy you an amazing sub stage, I would recommend 2 Image Dynamics IDMAX 12" woofers, they are expressed as one of the best SQL woofers (combination of SPL-bass and SQ-sound quality). You should be able to pick them up for $700 each. Here is a video of them at work. Bare in mind, due to the low frequencies the recording mic will always make it sound shiet.

If that seems too bassy for you, you can tone it down to the Image Dynamics IDQ 12 woofers, which are more of a SQ woofer.

Also, with such a large budget, I highly encourage you to factor in the cost of some sound deadening, like Dynamat. It can improve your system drastically.

Don't forget you need to factor the cost of wiring, installation accessories etc.

Will you be installing it yourself?

vinda69

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I want as cheap as possible to be honest, I was hoping around like 5-6K.

With the rear speakers, I have been told the exact same thing, with the exact same example, and it does make sense.
But since I usually do have passengers i may have a look at rears.

The total cost of this quote came to around 15K which is way too much, but I am able to install myself, and have been told that some websites have awesome deals on certain components, because buying from a retailer is looking to be really expensive.

As yet I haven't included things like Dynamat and wiring into the cost, but if it isn't too much I can add that later on down the track.
If it is costy I will review my budget.

Where can I find the Image Dynamics?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
That's a lot of money to spend and really would want a lot of time and consideration. I think the most important part will be the front stage, it seems as though your main focus at the moment is on the subwoofer. I'd be looking more outside the box especially the Pioneers that you were quoted for the front.

With regards to the processor, is that something you want yourself, and do you have enough understanding to go about making changes to the tuning of system for the better?

vinda69

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I didn't think that the Pioneer were the greatest.
I didn't even realise that a processor had been quoted, as I am still learning about sound systems, I will not have the knowledge, so the processor will not be needed.

I really just want an awesome sound system that has quality and amazing bass.
5-6K is around the max I am willing to spend, so if I can get a cheaper system that will be great.

My mate has L7s and I really like the bass on them, so that is why I was looking at them.

I am focusing on just the subs at the moment though because the more I focus on one part at a time, the more I can learn and delve more indepth with the component, and since bass is what I really like, thought start from the back and move forward.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Alright mate, if you want to concentrate on the sub stage, the Image Dynamics subwoofers are the way to go, you will not be disappointed.
Most amplifiers provide more power into 1ohm of independence. Therefore, you want to be able to wire your subwoofer/s to a 1ohm load.

If you want one subwoofer: You want a "D2" or dual 2 ohm woofer, which can be wired in parallel to 1 ohm
If you want two subwoofers: You want two "D4" or dual 4 ohm woofers, which can individually be wired in parallel to 2ohm, then wired in parallel together to form a 1ohm load.

Diagrams can be provided if need be.

If you choose to have 2 amplifiers to power the subs, then you'll need to wire the subs differently. Ideally, you want 800W RMS to 1000W RMS for each IDMAX.