Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L98 top end failure

crackah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0
Seriously though, if its not strong enough to take a few simple mods that would be fairly hopeless??

They should warranty it, If I were them I would. Makes you happy and all that crap.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
LMAO, how hard has the car been pushed to cause these issues to begin with? Top end issues don't just happen for the fun of it.

I'd be asking your tuner to cough up, chances are that is what has caused the issue (or the person behind the wheel).

Fact the car has been tuned pretty much ruins any chance of a warranty claim, which is why you should always use a tuner who warranties any engine failure after they have carried out their work. Haven't met a Holden tuner who does this yet.

I hope for your sake they do cover it.

redneck08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
the car has had the mods on for about 500kms, im praying its dropped a cam lobe, should find out in a few hours

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
LMAO, how hard has the car been pushed to cause these issues to begin with? Top end issues don't just happen for the fun of it.

I'd be asking your tuner to cough up, chances are that is what has caused the issue (or the person behind the wheel).

Fact the car has been tuned pretty much ruins any chance of a warranty claim, which is why you should always use a tuner who warranties any engine failure after they have carried out their work. Haven't met a Holden tuner who does this yet.

I hope for your sake they do cover it.

Holden will factory warranty all Walkinshaw performance drive trains (including blowers) I believe.

Reaper

redneck08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
right now we're one step deeper, head has to come off. im still praying its a cam lobe or lifter, but im betting its leaned out and **** a piston now. stupid pricks havent even pulled the plugs yet to inspect how the cylinders are running

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Might have spun a big end bearing.
In which case I'd be planting your foot clean up your tuners arse.

redneck08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
yeah i had it before and its a similar noise hey

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Without any other information i'll bet $10 its spun bearing.
I'd also blame the tune, I reckon its been getting some detonation and thats whats shagged.

redneck08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
yer i know i mean for it to **** within 500kms and i have plenty of mates all with l98s had the same work to it from this shop and none have had issues like this